Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Weather Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

Wanted to get everyone's opinion on the cold weather package. Is there a need for this package since you can pre-heat the car through your cell phone? I ask because I live in Southwestern PA and our winters can get pretty bad. I was thinking about getting the cold weather package at the assumed $1,000 cost (per the model S), but since heated front seats come standard (again assuming standard features are the same as the S) and the app heats up the car for you, is there a need to spend the money on this package? If not, I was thinking about using the money on the glass roof instead.

Thanks,

Kal

Apparently heated seats use less power than heating the cabin, which relates to your range in cold weather. I tried the heated steering wheel the other day and ....wow, that is something you will not want to do without once you try it. Haven't tried the heated wipers (windshield?) yet.

I'll probably skip on the package. I've lived in NE Ohio my whole life and been driving here for the last 34 years and can count on one hand the number of times I've had my washer nozzles freeze up. Heated steering wheel and heated seats are no big deal, I've never had them and won't miss them if I don't get them. The one thing that may make me think twice would be if heated side mirrors are not standard, I've got them in my current car and they are great. The heated wiper blade is tempting too.

I live in the Philly area and am not planning to get the Cold Weather Package. I don't have kids, and practically never have anyone in the back seat. Though people may ask me for lots of rides in the ≡.

I had a loaner car from my dealership that had a heated steering wheel, and I won't lie - it was nice. But to me it's not worth the package price, especially since I can preheat the car and driver's seat.

I'll probably skip on the package. I've lived in NE Ohio my whole life and been driving here for the last 34 years and can count on one hand the number of times I've had my washer nozzles freeze up. Heated steering wheel and heated seats are no big deal, I've never had them and won't miss them if I don't get them. The one thing that may make me think twice would be if heated side mirrors are not standard, I've got them in my current car and they are great. The heated wiper blade is tempting too.
Another Ohioan here. I'm in the same boat - never had heated seats or anything, but I think the Tesla might be a change for me in the effort of increasing range in bad weather. The heated seats reduce on your need to heat the cabin a lot and so they're more efficient in that regard. Plus, resale in our area is likely to benefit from the cold weather package.

Reactions: dsvick
Keep in mind that if you drive in freezing weather, the heated wipers are useful because there is no ICE under the hood creating heat to help them stay warm & prevent freezing. I wouldn't say it's needed, but I'm definitely getting it (live in western NY).

Reactions: Jayc
Keep in mind that if you drive in freezing weather, the heated wipers are useful because there is no ICE under the hood creating heat to help them stay warm & prevent freezing. I wouldn't say it's needed, but I'm definitely getting it (live in western NY).
Interesting point I hadn't considered. One possible workaround is to keep heated air blowing on the inside of the windshield.

Yes that's a great point.

I presume there are heating elements hidden in the wipers but then will that not shorten the life of wiper blades? Or are there special heating tolerant wiper blades ?

Another Ohioan here. I'm in the same boat - never had heated seats or anything, but I think the Tesla might be a change for me in the effort of increasing range in bad weather. The heated seats reduce on your need to heat the cabin a lot and so they're more efficient in that regard. Plus, resale in our area is likely to benefit from the cold weather package.
Good point, I hadn't thought about resale value. Ultimately it'll come down to how much all the other options are and what I can afford at the time.

I presume there are heating elements hidden in the wipers but then will that not shorten the life of wiper blades? Or are there special heating tolerant wiper blades ?
I'm not a current owner, but from what someone posted in the Tesla forums it is actually a heated strip on the windsheild where the wipers sit. So it would be effecitve if you trun it on for a few minutes before you drive to remove any built up ice/snow. But it might not be as effective with accumulated stuff while actually driving and using them.