TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Cold Weather Package

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by pkalhan, Nov 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

Hello Everyone,

Wanted to get everyone's opinion on the cold weather package. Is there a need for this package since you can pre-heat the car through your cell phone? I ask because I live in Southwestern PA and our winters can get pretty bad. I was thinking about getting the cold weather package at the assumed $1,000 cost (per the model S), but since heated front seats come standard (again assuming standard features are the same as the S) and the app heats up the car for you, is there a need to spend the money on this package? If not, I was thinking about using the money on the glass roof instead.

Thanks,

Kal

2. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Apparently heated seats use less power than heating the cabin, which relates to your range in cold weather. I tried the heated steering wheel the other day and ....wow, that is something you will not want to do without once you try it. Haven't tried the heated wipers (windshield?) yet.

3. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Do you have kids who will be sitting the back seats? If so, I would say it's a must have option. My kids can stay warm while I like it cooler.

4. Dax279

Dax279 Member

See the responses to my post in the Tesla Owners in Alberta discussion from about October 22nd, 2016. I recd some great and very useful replies.

5. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Headed steering wheel, heated rear seats and heated windshield are a must if you live north of the Mason Dixon line.

6. polymathic

polymathic Member

I now live in CA, so opted not to get it, but I used to live in PA and had kids, I would not hesitate for a second! Get your cold weather package. It will likely help your range, too.

7. notsoice

notsoice Member

I opted in due to our Canadian winters. I'm hoping the heated wipers are helpful
    I like my heated steering wheel. Wish this could be enabled from the app!

8. Jayc

Jayc Member

IMO if you use your car heaters then winter package will be useful especially so in a Tesla as you can pre-heat from mains.

9. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

I'll probably skip on the package. I've lived in NE Ohio my whole life and been driving here for the last 34 years and can count on one hand the number of times I've had my washer nozzles freeze up. Heated steering wheel and heated seats are no big deal, I've never had them and won't miss them if I don't get them. The one thing that may make me think twice would be if heated side mirrors are not standard, I've got them in my current car and they are great. The heated wiper blade is tempting too.

10. GaryH

GaryH Member

I guess if your winters are pretty bad then probably a good bet, we didn't but in the UK just South of London the winters aren't that bad so we just rely on heating the cabin before use

11. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

I live in the Philly area and am not planning to get the Cold Weather Package. I don't have kids, and practically never have anyone in the back seat. Though people may ask me for lots of rides in the ≡.

I had a loaner car from my dealership that had a heated steering wheel, and I won't lie - it was nice. But to me it's not worth the package price, especially since I can preheat the car and driver's seat.

12. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

winter package vs pano roof is really the question? Plenty of battery or plugged, so you can heat the car on both ends of commute? Pano roof.

13. rcarpen22

rcarpen22 Member

+1 on the heated steering wheel. I'd pay $1000 just for that.

14. Booga

Booga Member

Another Ohioan here. I'm in the same boat - never had heated seats or anything, but I think the Tesla might be a change for me in the effort of increasing range in bad weather. The heated seats reduce on your need to heat the cabin a lot and so they're more efficient in that regard. Plus, resale in our area is likely to benefit from the cold weather package.

• Like x 1
  15. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Ditto. And I'm in Dallas. I just find a cold steering wheel particularly annoying. Without the cold weather package, the steering wheel (and therefore my hands) stay cold long after the interior of the car (and the rest of me) have warmed up.

16. Litzy

Litzy Member

Keep in mind that if you drive in freezing weather, the heated wipers are useful because there is no ICE under the hood creating heat to help them stay warm & prevent freezing. I wouldn't say it's needed, but I'm definitely getting it (live in western NY).

• Like x 1
  17. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

Interesting point I hadn't considered. One possible workaround is to keep heated air blowing on the inside of the windshield.

18. Jayc

Jayc Member

Yes that's a great point.

I presume there are heating elements hidden in the wipers but then will that not shorten the life of wiper blades? Or are there special heating tolerant wiper blades ?

19. Litzy

Litzy Member

I think Tesla had at one point adjusted how the wipers work to keep them far enough up to prevent freezing. Their normal "down" position is below the interior, which is why they had a problem with them freezing in the first place.

20. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Good point, I hadn't thought about resale value. Ultimately it'll come down to how much all the other options are and what I can afford at the time.

I'm not a current owner, but from what someone posted in the Tesla forums it is actually a heated strip on the windsheild where the wipers sit. So it would be effecitve if you trun it on for a few minutes before you drive to remove any built up ice/snow. But it might not be as effective with accumulated stuff while actually driving and using them.

• Informative x 2