Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

collision avoidance fails to detect golf ball

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First dent. I heard the impact on the freeway, but didn't see what happened. Careful review of the dashcam video showed a golf ball at just the wrong place at the wrong time. In this frame it's on the right, after ricocheting off of my hood.

On the bright side the impact only dented the hood a little bit, and it's pretty well centered.

I'm more than a little bit annoyed, but I guess it could have been worse.

First dent. I heard the impact on the freeway, but didn't see what happened. Careful review of the dashcam video showed a golf ball at just the wrong place at the wrong time. In this frame it's on the right, after ricocheting off of my hood.

On the bright side the impact only dented the hood a little bit, and it's pretty well centered.

I'm more than a little bit annoyed, but I guess it could have been worse.
Ha, great title! Sorry about that incident.
You should go on a media tear about this. Autopilot is clearly an abject failure. How come Elon did not fly in with his Iron Man suit to block that ball from damaging your car? For shame. For shame.

Don't be so sure about paintless dent repair. That hood is aluminium and is much harder to fix with that method.

The local service center referred me to a paintless dent repair guy that took a ding out of my door with no problem. You do have to be sure they can work with aluminum of course, but it's apparently not that difficult. Cost was $150 or so.

Reactions: CJPonline and e-FTW
Sorry to hear that. On a similar note a rogue Tesla hating shopping cart got mine. I was so upset that AP did not prevent the collision I almost called the media. Luckily no one was hurt except my car and the shopping cart when I kicked it.

In Tesla's defense I did not have my hands on the wheel, actually I was in the store shopping.

mblakele and Trips have alerted us to two distinct major risks that have, I think, never been previously disclosed. I am certain that there are other cases soon to be revealed. Luckily I have not personally experienced any such incidents. I certainly hope and expect that autopilot will be improved to include protective weaponry against such assaults.:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: ModelX
Unless you have the golf ball object as evidence we can only come to the logical scientific conclusion that because it is saucer shape in the dashcam that it was a UFO. That dent is actually an attempt by the UFO to create a wormhole.

• Funny
Reactions: MMC- and Beaker