TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

collision avoidance fails to detect golf ball

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mblakele, Jul 13, 2016.

1. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

First dent. I heard the impact on the freeway, but didn't see what happened. Careful review of the dashcam video showed a golf ball at just the wrong place at the wrong time. In this frame it's on the right, after ricocheting off of my hood.

On the bright side the impact only dented the hood a little bit, and it's pretty well centered.

I'm more than a little bit annoyed, but I guess it could have been worse.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

Sorry to hear about the damage. The title made me lol

• Funny x 1
  3. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Ha, great title! Sorry about that incident.
    You should go on a media tear about this. Autopilot is clearly an abject failure. How come Elon did not fly in with his Iron Man suit to block that ball from damaging your car? For shame. For shame.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 2
  4. tstafford

tstafford Member

If the paint's not cracked, I bet a mobile dent guy could get this out without much trouble.

5. Joe Harsanyi

Joe Harsanyi Member

I completely agree. Paintless dent repair works great and will probably cost you $100 or less (at least that's true here in MD).

6. brantse

brantse Member

Sorry to hear about that, but it's a pretty funny story. It left a perfect "golf ball dimple". If you could just get a few hundred, evenly distributed throughout the car, you could probably improve your range. Mythbusters proved this when testing the aerodynamics of golf balls and cars.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  7. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

Don't be so sure about paintless dent repair. That hood is aluminium and is much harder to fix with that method.

8. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

Were you driving near a golf course or was that just bouncing down the road?
    I keep thinking of the "Tin Cup" scene where Don Johnson hits a ball down a road and it bounces forever.

• Like x 1
  9. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

The local service center referred me to a paintless dent repair guy that took a ding out of my door with no problem. You do have to be sure they can work with aluminum of course, but it's apparently not that difficult. Cost was $150 or so.

• Like x 2
  10. Trips

Trips Member

Sorry to hear that. On a similar note a rogue Tesla hating shopping cart got mine. I was so upset that AP did not prevent the collision I almost called the media. Luckily no one was hurt except my car and the shopping cart when I kicked it.

In Tesla's defense I did not have my hands on the wheel, actually I was in the store shopping.

• Funny x 8
  11. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    mblakele and Trips have alerted us to two distinct major risks that have, I think, never been previously disclosed. I am certain that there are other cases soon to be revealed. Luckily I have not personally experienced any such incidents. I certainly hope and expect that autopilot will be improved to include protective weaponry against such assaults.:rolleyes:

• Funny x 1
  12. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

That stretch of freeway has two golf courses, one on each side. From the video it looks like the ball came from the left, crossing four lanes and the barrier.

13. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

A similar thing happened to me with a rock a few months ago. Left a similar dent, plus scratched the paint. It's still pretty hard to see, so I've been studiously ignoring it for now.

14. CJPonline

CJPonline Member

I re-iterate the replies about paintless dent removal guys. Insist on knowing they work with aluminum!

15. deonb

deonb Active Member

Also disturbing. Based on the first picture, your Model S seems to have a pretty bad slice.

When your grip the steering wheel, make sure you see the three knuckles of your left hand. And the "V" formed by your left index finger and thumb should point toward your right shoulder...

• Funny x 7
  16. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I think collision avoidance made an excellent decision and saved your windshield.
    BTW, I've got an identical dent in the back of my head....never it had it repaired and my performance hasn't been affected. The ball is now a paperweight.

• Funny x 2
  17. 1208

1208 Active Member

Unless you have the golf ball object as evidence we can only come to the logical scientific conclusion that because it is saucer shape in the dashcam that it was a UFO. That dent is actually an attempt by the UFO to create a wormhole.

• Funny x 1
  18. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Tesla will be announcing their new 10MJ laser option early next year.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. Ashkenaz

Ashkenaz Member

You might want to notify the FAA that the golf range is flying objects illegally, and that their drones autopilots are malfunctioning. Sorry about the dent. I hate to see that

20. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Call the NTSA and report the autopilot failure... the system is obviously not ready yet. Any human driver would have easily avoided that.