Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collision warnings and cruise control function poorly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 100S. I often drive through my neighborhood using cruise control so I don't have to keep looking at the speedometer. The road is nice and wide, with plenty of parking (and clearance to drive by) on the right side. Yet parked cars in certain circumstances trigger a warning alert and autobraking when there is no reason to do so. Usually happens when approaching a parked car as the road bends to the right, especially if heading uphill. I had a 2016 model S. That worked great with a "less sophisticated" system. This advanced system is flukey.

Anyone else notice this in their S?

My autopilot was acting up yesterday so I called Tesla and they checked my error logs and found some camera issues.
They are trying to do an OTA fix.
I advise you give them a call.

I have Model S Long Range purchased in 2020. I have now had a number of incidents of hard braking associated with cruise control. Today, I was almost rear ended when I had cruise control and autopilot engaged. I signaled for a lane change to make way for a car that was merging on the highway. During the auto lane change, my car braked so hard that the car behind me which was a safe distance away almost rear ended me. I have had other instances of such hard braking when only the cruise control is engaged.

The car routinely brakes in the EZ Pass Express lane when encountering certain overhead gantries. No rhyme or reason just starts braking.

Is this just the cost of pioneering this new technology? Am I not operating the car properly? I have had the car for over 3 months now and Tesla has never provided an orientation. At my last service appointment, I asked if I could talk to a tech to ask some questions, the answer was "No. We don't do that. We recommend you contact the sales office."

If the cruise control and auto pilot are this dangerous, it should come with sufficient warnings and guidance.

Cutting edge :). Ours has braked hard 3 times in 2800 miles. Twice when a car nearly 1/4 mile ahead turned left across our path WAY down the road. Once when we were going 78 mph down the interstate and a slight hill up with bridge over interstate. This one has been posted before. Shadows on road trick the cameras I believe.

M

I don't use cruise control for this very reason, it is broken to the point of being dangerous and this is without autopilot active.
I've had it randomly brake hard a few times for no reason at all, again this is not with autopilot on, just cruise control.

I have Model S Long Range purchased in 2020. I have now had a number of incidents of hard braking associated with cruise control. Today, I was almost rear ended when I had cruise control and autopilot engaged. I signaled for a lane change to make way for a car that was merging on the highway. During the auto lane change, my car braked so hard that the car behind me which was a safe distance away almost rear ended me. I have had other instances of such hard braking when only the cruise control is engaged.

The car routinely brakes in the EZ Pass Express lane when encountering certain overhead gantries. No rhyme or reason just starts braking.

Is this just the cost of pioneering this new technology? Am I not operating the car properly? I have had the car for over 3 months now and Tesla has never provided an orientation. At my last service appointment, I asked if I could talk to a tech to ask some questions, the answer was "No. We don't do that. We recommend you contact the sales office."

If the cruise control and auto pilot are this dangerous, it should come with sufficient warnings and guidance.
My 2020 Model S Long Range does the same thing. I have complained about it several times and service has looked at it... but it still does it sometimes.
Definitely messes up when a car is merging and I attempt to change lanes. Also does it when my lane ends and merges into another lane; it get's confused and lost when that line disappears and the lane is basically two lanes wide for a while.
In one case the road made a slight dog-leg to the right as I was going over a rise. I assume it thought the car in the oncoming lane was in MY lane because it couldn't see the road clearly over the rise; this at least has some logic to it. Sometimes it brakes hard for no discernible reason. I have documented date, time and location on on a couple of occasions. Service technician was able to tell me that the car reacted to a perceived obstacle in my lane.... but that is little comfort since there was no object in my lane.

I think the reason for so many "phantom brakings" is that Tesla depends too much on visual camera input, and does not check the radar to see if it agrees something is dangerously within the path of the vehicle. The only way I can see the "curve over a hill" (thinking an oncoming car properly in its lane is in my lane) causing hard braking, is for the computer to check the map data and see there is a curve on the hill to more accurately predict the lane's path the cameras can't see. Again, Tesla seems to primarily base all decisions on visual camera input without checking other sources when appropriate.

I have had many cars with simple dynamic cruise control and none had phantom braking. They all kept me in the lane and maintained proper distance between cars in that lane -- something Tesla has not achieved.
Perhaps Tesla has not (I haven't owned an AP2+ car) but MobilEye (AP1) has. AP1 phantom braking is extremely rare.

It's a shame Tesla and MobilEye got into that urinating tournament a few years back.

Reactions: COS Blue
shadows cast on the road definitely can cause the phantom braking. Its gotten better over the last several updates, but still occurs, depending on sun angle, size of shadow, other factors. But typically it will occur when approaching an overpass or even approaching set of trees adjacent to a highway and those trees are casting shadows onto the road. The cameras think the shadows are objects.

Our 2021 Subaru Ascent handles dynamic cruise control and lane-keep assist most times better than my MS. I wanted an MX badly, but for now, we are quite happy with the Subi. No phantom braking - that EyeSight technology is impressive.