Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color-coding locations on the supercharge.info map between V1, V2 and V3 superchargers (versus just a red dot)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi community, and specifically @corywright,

I wanted to make a suggestion and/or feature request for the visual map on supercharge.info:

Instead of having to manually click on each red supercharger dot to determine if it's a V3, V2, etc. could you change the color coding so that each kW rating had its own distinct color (i.e. V1 are yellow dots, V2 are orange, V3 are red)? It would be a cool feature, I think, and would help visualize what parts of the country are currently being expanded with V3 vs being held up by V2 still.

If the answer isn't a clear yes, or it's a hard no, I might consider making a map like this myself. Would be a cool resume booster, though I'm not too proficient with frontend stuff. Just had a thought!

Reactions: David Sowden
Instead of having to manually click on each red supercharger dot to determine if it's a V3, V2, etc. could you change the color coding so that each kW rating had its own distinct color (i.e. V1 are yellow dots, V2 are orange, V3 are red)? It would be a cool feature, I think, and would help visualize what parts of the country are currently being expanded with V3 vs being held up by V2 still.

If the answer isn't a clear yes, or it's a hard no, I might consider making a map like this myself. Would be a cool resume booster, though I'm not too proficient with frontend stuff. Just had a thought!

Hi @tesrella,

Development of supercharge.info has been somewhat stagnant for the last year or so, but we are planning to work more on it soon.

There is a 2+ year old thread for this feature request on forum.supercharge.info, where there was a lot of debate about icons and colors:

Request: New Markers to Specify 72 kW (Urban), 150 kW (V2), or 250 kW (V3) Superchargers

I believe @Pluto worked on this a while back. If he still has a branch available with these changes then we may be able to get this deployed soon.

Also, all of the source code for supercharge.info is available on Github.

Hi @tesrella,

Development of supercharge.info has been somewhat stagnant for the last year or so, but we are planning to work more on it soon.

There is a 2+ year old thread for this feature request on forum.supercharge.info, where there was a lot of debate about icons and colors:

Request: New Markers to Specify 72 kW (Urban), 150 kW (V2), or 250 kW (V3) Superchargers

I believe @Pluto worked on this a while back. If he still has a branch available with these changes then we may be able to get this deployed soon.

Also, all of the source code for supercharge.info is available on Github.
Woah, meaning I can contribute to this as an open-source? Count me in.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Necroing an old thread, but it would be useful for the filters to be more specific - for example, I want to filter out V3 chargers, but can't because >150KW includes the V3's... How about a <250KW and <150KW option, or just multiselects?

Necroing an old thread, but it would be useful for the filters to be more specific - for example, I want to filter out V3 chargers, but can't because >150KW includes the V3's... How about a <250KW and <150KW option, or just multiselects?
I'm not sure I get this.

"for example, I want to filter out V3 chargers, but can't because >150KW includes the V3's..."

Right. There is nothing higher than 150kW right now except V3. If it's greater than 150, that means V3. If it's at 150, that is V2.

V2 = 150kW
V3 = 250 kW

There isn't anything between the 150 and 250 kW. I'm not looking at my car's screen right now to see the filters. Is it doing equal to and greater than 150 as one setting? So all of the V2 and V3 always turn on and off together?

There isn't anything between the 150 and 250 kW. I'm not looking at my car's screen right now to see the filters. Is it doing equal to and greater than 150 as one setting? So all of the V2 and V3 always turn on and off together?

The in-car map offers a basic filter of 1, 2, or 3 lightning bolts -- roughly, I think 1 bolt = urban (72kW) superchargers and Level 2 chargers, 2 bolts = 73-150kW, 3 bolts = 151kW or more.

It would definitely be possible, and reasonable, to make power level on supercharge.info into a multi-select with ranges (e.g. 0-72, 73-120, 121-150, 151-250). Right now we don't directly distinguish between V2/V3/V4, only indirectly via max power, though that has been requested in the past.

One thing that @corywright said a while back is still true:
Absolutely, we are actively trying to get more developers involved!

• Love
Reactions: corywright
Right now we don't directly distinguish between V2/V3/V4, only indirectly via max power
Well, the max power is the thing that identifies them, so it's not "indirectly". That is directly. And you can't really distinguish V4 right now since there aren't any in the U.S. So the 2 versus 3 lightning bolts to distinguish between V2 and V3 is as helpful as it can get.

Well, the max power is the thing that identifies them, so it's not "indirectly". That is directly. And you can't really distinguish V4 right now since there aren't any in the U.S. So the 2 versus 3 lightning bolts to distinguish between V2 and V3 is as helpful as it can get.
Yeah that's where it starts getting complicated. 😁 There are now V4 sites in the US, for example:

https://supercharge.info/map?siteID=6745
https://supercharge.info/map?siteID=6913

Yes, at the moment they deliver the same max power as V3, but I think there's still an open question as to whether V4 might offer higher speeds in the future. Additionally, the V4 cable is longer and positioned somewhat differently, which will be important to some drivers, as non-Teslas start supporting NACS and as Cybertruck production ramps up. So I think it's another field / filter we want to add to supercharge.info at some point.