Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado Tax incentive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I am expected to take delivery in Denver sometime next month. Can someone explain to me exactly how the tax incentive works? I read different amounts online, 5k or 6k? And does the instant rebate only take place after 1/1/17?
Thanks!

@tvcraig, you still get the $6k if you buy this year, it is just at tax time. The Colorado credit is different than the federal one, so that even if you didn't pay $6k in Colorado state tax in 2016 you still get the credit.

@Chaz, leases still work but with a reduced amount ($2.5k next year) and it can only be used as a cap cost reduction. You can't choose to get it as a tax credit like you can with a finance. Also, the lease must be at least 2 years.

The biggest change is the refund no longer works for used cars. People had built a nice little business brining in used Leafs and selling them, which the new bill cuts off.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaz
I plan on ordering at end of year, with delivery Q1 2017. I live in Ohio but take trips to Colorado for business. If I'm interpreting the new "credit" properly I can take delivery in CO to get the credit even though I don't have a tax basis? I do have friends and family that I could use their CO address for registration if that's a requirement.

I plan on ordering at end of year, with delivery Q1 2017. I live in Ohio but take trips to Colorado for business. If I'm interpreting the new "credit" properly I can take delivery in CO to get the credit even though I don't have a tax basis? I do have friends and family that I could use their CO address for registration if that's a requirement.
The Colorado income tax credit is funded by taxpayers in the state and is intended to benefit taxpayers in the state. If you register your car legally and pay income taxes in Colorado then you should be able to claim the credit. The tax credit is not intended for out-of-state buyers to buy in Colorado and then tax the car elsewhere.

The Colorado income tax credit is funded by taxpayers in the state and is intended to benefit taxpayers in the state. If you register your car legally and pay income taxes in Colorado then you should be able to claim the credit. The tax credit is not intended for out-of-state buyers to buy in Colorado and then tax the car elsewhere.

That didn't answer my question. But since you went there, I lived in Colorado for 10 years up until 2 years ago.

That didn't answer my question. But since you went there, I lived in Colorado for 10 years up until 2 years ago.
If you still file taxes in Colorado and the car is registered in Colorado then it might be possible you could claim the credit. If you aren't paying taxes in Colorado and the car isn't registered in Colorado then you wouldn't be able to claim the credit.

Reactions: SageBrush
If you still file taxes in Colorado and the car is registered in Colorado then it might be possible you could claim the credit. If you aren't paying taxes in Colorado and the car isn't registered in Colorado then you wouldn't be able to claim the credit.
Right, and pay annual registration fees and taxes (the car taxes have their own special name but I think of them as property taxes.)

Right, and pay annual registration fees and taxes (the car taxes have their own special name but I think of them as property taxes.)
I forgot to mention the sales tax specifically as well. That would be required before one could register the newly purchased car here. Sales tax could easily be 8% in some parts of Colorado, wiping out the $5000 - $6000 tax credit 'savings'.

I've got a follow-up question on this. The law allows for dealers to "pass through" the tax credit at the time of the sale. So a dealer can basically offer the $5,000 discount immediately to the customer, and then the dealer receives the credit on its tax statements at year-end. However, does Tesla do this? Or do they require you to go through the normal tax credit process?

I've got a follow-up question on this. The law allows for dealers to "pass through" the tax credit at the time of the sale. So a dealer can basically offer the $5,000 discount immediately to the customer, and then the dealer receives the credit on its tax statements at year-end. However, does Tesla do this? Or do they require you to go through the normal tax credit process?
So far, I believe they do not deduct it at the time of sale. We've talked with employees at a couple of the stores in Colorado and they said they didn't know if Tesla would offer this since it would be a change to the way they usually do business (and probably would take too much effort to change things for one state).

I forgot to mention the sales tax specifically as well. That would be required before one could register the newly purchased car here. Sales tax could easily be 8% in some parts of Colorado, wiping out the $5000 - $6000 tax credit 'savings'.
I should know the details well since I bought an EV just two months ago, but this is pretty close:

My locality charged 4% sales tax (I think some areas of the state go as high as 6%)
2.1% property tax (or whatever they call it) on 85% of new car msrp.
Assorted fees for crap and plates and whatever -- around $100 IIRC

I should know the details well since I bought an EV just two months ago, but this is pretty close:

My locality charged 4% sales tax (I think some areas of the state go as high as 6%)
2.1% property tax (or whatever they call it) on 85% of new car msrp.
Assorted fees for crap and plates and whatever -- around $100 IIRC
I just paid my registration and taxes last month. Where I live, the taxes came out to 7.75% or about $7,982.50. The state taxes of $4168 were included in this and paid when I picked up the car. Registration was $1,963.55. I'll get the full $6000 back so that helps offset a large percentage of the taxes paid. I actually calculated everything in advance and was off by about 50 cents from what I was actually charged. The clerk at the DMV was shocked and when she wrote the total down and passed the number to me, I told her that's pretty much exactly what I expected to pay. o_O

Well done :)
Was your msrp about 104k ?
Was your car bought in 2016 or 2017 ? I'm pretty sure the tax credit was reduced to $5000 from Jan 1st.
Yes, $104,200 including docs and delivery. Delivered in December 2016 so I get $6000 state tax credit. Remaining tax and registration paid ~45 days later, once I got the paperwork from Tesla and the temporary tags expired.

I bought my car in December but it was not delivered until January. The state tax authorities have told me to expect a tax credit based on the purchase date. Time will tell.
Luckily mine was delivered before the end of the year so there's no question about how much I'll receive or what tax year to claim it in. I don't know how it works with the state tax credit but for the federal tax credit on new cars, the car has to be delivered in the year that you claim the tax credit since it is based on the "placed in service date", not the purchase date. If your car was new, then technically you'd have to claim the federal tax credit on your 2017 return. If it was used, then I guess you wouldn't have to worry about it since there wouldn't be a tax credit.