Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado Tesla showroom reports "drive event party" by end of year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which co-op is that?
San Miguel Power Association.

By co-op standards, SMPA is unusually supportive of renewable energy, EVs and similar things because we members/owners of the co-op tend to favor them here. SMPA came up with the EV rebate shortly after I got a LEAF — first EV in their territory — and let several of the SMPA employees drive it. I'm surprised that more electric utilities don't do the same.

San Miguel Power Association.

By co-op standards, SMPA is unusually supportive of renewable energy, EVs and similar things because we members/owners of the co-op tend to favor them here. SMPA came up with the EV rebate shortly after I got a LEAF — first EV in their territory — and let several of the SMPA employees drive it. I'm surprised that more electric utilities don't do the same.
Must be nice. I have IREA, which is unusually hostile to renewable energy.

I have Empire Electric in SW Colorado and overall have to say they are quite supportive; in no small due to the great guy they have as the PV liaison to the community.

Net metering
Free net meter
No attempts to use bureaucracy to impede residential PV
No fees to arrange PV
Timely inspections

I'm sure it helps that they charge all their customers a $32 monthly connect fee and probably make little money on the energy they buy from tri-state. I honestly think this is the way to go: let them charge for the infrastructure and make the energy revenue neutral. It has certainly kept me from looking too seriously at going off-grid.

To note: the 5% PV limit that Tri-state places on its members only applies to the utility; private (e.g. residential) PV is unlimited.

Last edited:
...To note: the 5% PV limit that Tri-state places on its members only applies to the utility; private (e.g. residential) PV is unlimited.
Yes. We have a lot of small-scale hydropower resources — even tapping such things as irrigation ditch flows — over here on the north side of the mountains but the projects are bumping up against the 5% cap. Those projects require wholesale generation contracts, unlike residential net-metering.

FoCo here. Our city owned Fort Collins utilities is lukewarm to PV and that’s only because of a strong renewable energy lobby up here. The co-ops and city owned utilities don’t have the government mandate that corps like Xcel have to move x% of people to renewables or else so they’re not in any hurry. The city is just now looking into TOU plans.

I certainly hope we get a service center up here. Driving to SW Denver is a huge PIA.

I should add that said lobbiest is working on getting the city to pass a “solar roof rental” program where the utility installs and maintains PV on your roof and pays you a small monthly rent. The city is being receptive so far.

We do have a ranger who covers my area north of the San Juan Mountains. He verified that I need a DU replacement, saving me a trip to Denver for diagnosis. The replacement DU was supposed to be delivered to Denver three weeks ago. Since then nothing. I need to call the Denver SC again but they are hard to reach and only pick up the phone half the time.

I was hoping to get this work done in September before I have to deal with snow crossing the mountains. Should have called Salt Lake City instead (but when going to Denver I can visit friends in nearby Boulder). SLC means a motel bill.

Last edited: