Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Combined Charging System (CCS) 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Clarity Electric actually using CCS. So it seems even Japanese makes are switching to CCS.
Honda Clarity Electric, Plug-In Hybrid sedans revealed at NY auto show
Yep. The Honda Fit EV supported CHAdeMO in Japan but only J1772 in the US, I think. The Clarity is the first Honda in the US with DC charging and it uses CCS.

Kia will likely soon follow Hyundai. That leaves Nissan/Mitsubishi and Toyota. Toyota hasn't been a serious BEV player in the US or Europe although they are starting to make vague grunting noises. Nissan's global brand-mate, Renault, has already switched to CCS.

Although all of the first 2.5 year cycle of VW's Electrify America chargers will support both CHAdeMO and CCS they are not required by the legal settlement to provide equal and identical support going forward. I wonder how long it will take for Nissan to switch to CCS in the US and Europe. On the other hand, Mazda continued to make Wankel engines for many years.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
The Clarity Electric actually using CCS. So it seems even Japanese makes are switching to CCS.

AFAIK it will be a requirement for new type approvals in areas where CCS has been accepted as "the standard". Leaf, Model S/X and other older players can continue they way they want. I believe Model 3 can not. Though multiple options are allowed, appropriate Type 1/2 socket will be mandatory.

Not sure about the exact date.

Phoenix did that earlier:
https://www.phoenixcontact.com/asse...promotion/52007586_EN_HQ_E-Mobility_LoRes.pdf

Keep in mind that EV's will likely be 400V systems or 800V systems. 1000V systems seem more complicated. Semiconductors for inverters are usually 400V. 800V battery can be cut in half during driving and connected in series during charging. But what about 1000V system.

Again, Tesla MEGAcharger can't use that. 500kW is not enough for semi. Therefore they make up a new home brewed standard. Again:D
If I could recommend them, I'd vote for 4x CCS1/2 configuration. Redundancy and simplicity.

I'd rather give my thumbs up to 10x 150kW passively cooled DC stations rather than 5-6x 350kW actively cooled stations. Price matters.
Plus, it's not possible to charge normal-size EV at speeds above 200kW for long without help. 500kW capability is slightly useless.

PS: It's kW and kV, small "k";)

It has been confirmed! In the EU Model 3 will have native CCS support and for Model S/X there will be an adapter.

I'm a happy man!
I'm sorry, that news is too big and too good to not be properly confirmed. I will have to assume it is rumor until it is profoundly confirmed from the source.

I'm also abundantly curious how they will integrate European SuperChargers, and whether the CCS to Tesla adapter will be available for non-three-phase zones (North America, Canada, etc.).

Why would superchargers have to be modified to CCS? I'm all for giving European Model 3's access to CCS for DC charging? but they should already be able to SuperCharge using the (modelfied) Mennekes Type 2 that the X and S use.

Thanks. It's not like I could have figured that out for myself. :rolleyes: Sorry ...

From the article:
After years of speculation, Tesla finally confirmed today that Model 3 is getting a CCS Combo 2 plug in Europe and an adapter is coming for Model S and Model X.
Bold italics is mine. To me, this is one of the visible values of Tesla being on the CCS committee; I heard in the past that CCS did not allow adapters for their standard, and due to insurance, regulatory, and approval process systems and the informatic capabilities of the system, they would have been able to enforce that. By Tesla being on the committee, they can negotiate a situation where their adapater is accepted. I would like to know if that deal includes all past Teslas, future Teslas, some sort of future design and manufacturing change, and which regions those agreements apply to. Yes, I want to know what they'll do for USA.
Furthermore, Tesla said that they will start retrofitting European Supercharger stations with “dual charge cables” to both support the existing connector and CCS standard.
This is great news for everyone. A few reactions of mine:
  • Is this just a cable Y with software support and a new hardware head end on the end of the CCS cable, or does it require the inverters in the cabinets to be swapped out?
  • This is yet another benefit to being on the CCS committee. This could have been part of the deal that allows them to use adapters for their older cars. It also allows Tesla to have steered the engineering of the CCS standard to be compatible with Tesla's older inverters if Tesla wanted to do so, thus saving on conversion costs by a substantial amount; I could envision the negotiated compatibility making it as cheap for Tesla as putting a new plastic hanger for the new cable, making a grommet hole, and screwing the leads in where the leads for the existing cable already are (you can screw more than one connector to the same bolt in many systems), i.e., no more than the cost of labor, grommet, hole saw and bit, plastic hanger and attachments, the new CCS cable, software provisioning, testing, and government inspection if applicable. By Tesla saving money in this upgrade, they can keep those funds available for future SuperCharger upgrades that are far more substantial (ITT CCS 500kW 1kV liquid cooled cables and Tesla Semi Megachargers give us an idea of the flux in the future of this development, but the Tesla SuperCharger network was already so good, that gives them all the room in the world to plot that course at their own pace), and in the meanwhile use those saved funds to pay down corporate debt and expand the corporation to make even more money.
  • Tesla can now compete with other CCS charge providers. This could be both an income source and a way to keep costs down for all electric car owners. This is how I saw the future of publically usable charging companies. Since owners can also install solar chargers or utility connected chargers for their own use, they can still compete against the low number of large CCS charge providers.
Electrek repeats:
A spokesperson sent us the following statement:

“While Tesla owners already have access to the most convenient and reliable charging solutions available between home charging, Supercharging and Destination Charging, we want to expand their ability to charge at third party fast chargers. In advance of Model 3 rollout in Europe, we will be retrofitting our existing Superchargers with dual charge cables to enable Model 3 which will come with a CCS Combo 2 charge port, to use the Tesla Supercharger network. Model S and Model X customers will continue to have full access to the network and a CCS Combo 2 adapter will soon be available to purchase, if desired.”​

The automaker didn’t offer a timeline on the availability of the adapter for Model S and Model X.

Last edited:
Why would superchargers have to be modified to CCS? I'm all for giving European Model 3's access to CCS for DC charging? but they should already be able to SuperCharge using the (modelfied) Mennekes Type 2 that the X and S use.

The fact that they want to install the duo cables on all (or at least enough) Supercharger stalls throughout Europe before the introduction of the Model 3 points to that the EU Model 3 will not have the high voltage junction box anymore like the S/X that bypasses the onboard charger in case of DC charging.
Saves Tesla something like 500$ per car (from what I heared).
Retrofitting ~ 4000 SuC stalls with an additional cable is much cheaper, certainly when you know you have to adapt to that standard anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: mutle and Galve2000
The fact that they want to install the duo cables on all (or at least enough) Supercharger stalls throughout Europe before the introduction of the Model 3 points to that the EU Model 3 will not have the high voltage junction box anymore like the S/X that bypasses the onboard charger in case of DC charging.
Saves Tesla something like 500$ per car (from what I heared).
Retrofitting ~ 4000 SuC stalls with an additional cable is much cheaper, certainly when you know you have to adapt to that standard anyway.

Yep. I would love to see them do the same thing here in NA, but it is greatly complicated by the custom Tesla inlet they are using and that the destination/home chargers would then require an adapter... (But the J1772 adapter would no longer be necessary.)