Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Combined Charging System (CCS) 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they could have gone w\ the modified Mennekes plug for the North American market and it would have still been proprietary (to North America as everyone else is using a J1772 plug) yes the the Tesla plug is smaller than Mennekes, but not by much!

still irks me...

Was Mennekes plug an EV thing in 2011?

You're right though - that would have been so much easier. Also, using the European idea of everyone bringing their own cable makes a lot more sense too.

Reactions: widodh and MP3Mike
Was Mennekes plug an EV thing in 2011?

You're right though - that would have been so much easier. Also, using the European idea of everyone bringing their own cable makes a lot more sense too.
Yes, Mennekes Type-2 was developed simultaneously with J1772. Daimler in particular lobbied for USA to use it, but SAE didn't want to go along with it. It really is better, as evidenced by its adoption by SAE J3068 this year for the medium and heavy duty vehicle inlets, albeit with additional extensions to allow for wider AC voltage ranges and bidirectional voltage compatibility communication.

It will be interesting to see how they physically retrofit a second cable to the SC stalls.

I thought about the urban chargers as well, but to my recollection there hasn't been one of those installed outside North America so I don't think that will be an issue.

While I can see the usefulness of having everyone bring their own cable (different needs for different vehicles, for example) -- and I have only seen EVSEs but never actually used one in Europe/Asia -- I find it much easier to plug in the available cable as it is done in North America and SuperChargers in Europe/Asia rather than having to un-stow and re-stow a charging cable every time one needs to charge.

While I can see the usefulness of having everyone bring their own cable (different needs for different vehicles, for example) -- and I have only seen EVSEs but never actually used one in Europe/Asia -- I find it much easier to plug in the available cable as it is done in North America and SuperChargers in Europe/Asia rather than having to un-stow and re-stow a charging cable every time one needs to charge.

Yes, but the #1 Maintenace thing public EVSEs need is new cables. They get vandalized, and generally used up rather quickly.

Just to be clear, in the EU the only cable you are supposed to bring with you is the Type-2 (and eventually the Type-1 in France…)

The Type-2 one can buy is only capable of AC charging (220V 1-phase or 480V 3-phase)
110 V does not exist in EU and all DC fast chargers (including SuperChargeurs, which use the Type-2 plug) do have a cable attached to the charger.

Why would superchargers have to be modified to CCS? I'm all for giving European Model 3's access to CCS for DC charging? but they should already be able to SuperCharge using the (modelfied) Mennekes Type 2 that the X and S use.

• Is this just a cable Y with software support and a new hardware head end on the end of the CCS cable, or does it require the inverters in the cabinets to be swapped out?

Likely a contactor inside every stall that enables either A or B cable and NEVER both together (as unmated energized plug is a hazard).

Model 3 points to that the EU Model 3 will not have the high voltage junction box anymore like the S/X that bypasses the onboard charger in case of DC charging.

I suspect Tesla will switch all stalls to CCS2 soon.... 90+% of SuC customers will have CCS (possible partners in near future as well) soon (2021-2023). There is no reason to continue with modified Type2 for Supercharging. Except taillight that doesn't fit the plug dimensions on S/X.
My expectation is that 100% of stalls will be CCS2 in ~2025 and ALL ModType2 cars will have FREE adapter from Tesla. CCS cars can't use adapters. But ModType2 Teslas are not CCS cars.

Reactions: Chuq and Galve2000
Why? We also don’t drive around with our own gasoline hoses?...:confused:

We do have to bring our own phone chargers and USB cablea around though.
I think we are used to this because that's how it's always been done.

There is one additional advantage to BYOC. Chargepl points can be a lot more slim and not have the cable making things ugly when not in use, like how they are put into bollards and lamp posts.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I wrote up some of the issues around this announcement here:

Tesla flips to CCS in Europe, what does it mean?
Some additional info I heared (not confirmed) that on the older S/X Tesla’s something might have to be replaced for the cars to work with the announced CCS to SuC adapter. Probably they replace the communications controller so the cars speak CAN and PLC, so the adapters can be smaller.

• Informative
Reactions: widodh
Some additional info I heared (not confirmed) that on the older S/X Tesla’s something might have to be replaced for the cars to work with the announced CCS to SuC adapter. Probably they replace the communications controller so the cars speak CAN and PLC, so the adapters can be smaller.
That seems possible although I don’t know anything about it. I don’t think the full details are completely clear yet.

Why? We also don’t drive around with our own gasoline hoses?...:confused:
I'm also not convinced that it would be possible to guarantee the safety of high powered cables that had been kicking around in someone's trunk for 5 years or longer. I'm pretty doubtful that everyone would be conscientious about replacing their cable just because it was a bit banged up.

If the connectors are attached to the charging station, they can be inspected and replaced as needed.

I'm also not convinced that it would be possible to guarantee the safety of high powered cables that had been kicking around in someone's trunk for 5 years or longer. I'm pretty doubtful that everyone would be conscientious about replacing their cable just because it was a bit banged up.

If the connectors are attached to the charging station, they can be inspected and replaced as needed.

That is pretty easy to do actually but is not really necessary. Isolation on these cables is REALLY torture proof. Not a regular extension cord class.
US keeps J1772 cables on the EVSE.
EU keeps Type2 cables in the trunk. EVSE has the socket.
Thought for private EVSE's often fixed cable is used for comfort.