Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Come on down! You're the next contestant on The Autopilot-Release-Date Is Right...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the notification--going to update during the day (car plugged in).

Do you need a cell signal to install? I figured it was already downloaded to the car...

I think the software is downloaded to the car but i would assume there would be a communication to Tesla during the install for a verification or software check. I honestly haven't tried it but don't really want to verify i'm right an be stuck. It's probably something i can just email Tesla about.

I got the notification--going to update during the day (car plugged in).
Do you need a cell signal to install? I figured it was already downloaded to the car...
No. Essentially every update my car has received for the past two years has happened without any kind of network connection because my vehicle lives underground both at home and at work. Once you get the notification you're good, it'll update without a network connection.

From today's shareholder letter:

For example, these updates will significantly increase Autopilot functionality in properly equipped cars later this year by adding new features such as lane keeping with automatic steering, parallel parking, as well as side collision warning and improved traffic aware cruise control.

Q2 Automotive gross margin excluding ZEV credits was 23.9% on a non-GAAP basis and 22.9% on a GAAP basis. Non-GAAP gross margin was about 100 basis points below guidance, primarily due to higher manufacturing and part costs related to the ramp of our small drive unit line and the deferral of revenue recognition for certain Autopilot features which are now scheduled for release later this year.

*quietly fuming*

Seems relevant here also...

That is great news WK057! This means you will get Autopilot this year! You can start planning your December road trip now :biggrin:

Seriously though I'd be shocked if it is not released by October in time for the Model X reveal. They will want to show this technology in the Model X.

That is great news WK057! This means you will get Autopilot this year! You can start planning your December road trip now :biggrin:

Seriously though I'd be shocked if it is not released by October in time for the Model X reveal. They will want to show this technology in the Model X.

They quoted September for delivery of the X (and also late 3rd quarter, which would be September).

From the ShareHolder letter - It does say Model X and Autopilot by end of Q3.

The next few years at Tesla will be transformational from a product perspective, starting with significant new Autopilot features and the launch of Model X later this quarter.

One wonders if the "significant new Autopilot features" are the currently pending features being delivered, or, potentially.. new ones that are MX/new MS specific. <speculation="now">