Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comically poor delivery experience (still in progress...) [Tysons Corner, VA]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My personal guess is that they hired a bunch of inexperienced people who have no clue about what they are doing, and that matches EM's attitude that you are just buying tech. I had ordered a MY Performance, and nobody ever mentioned the fact that the car is a good weather car only. I live in Western Pennsylvania -- our weather is not good all of the time. Of course there should be something on the website to warn potential buyers, but the local rep should as well. But that might be it -- they are reps not car dealers or licensed car salepeople. They are all inexperienced at selling cars, but rather are used to buying everything online. A car is likely the second biggest purchase we all make, other than a house, and we expect some level of both exacting product quality and professional treatment by people at the sales/service locations. A real car manufacturer would never allow cars with defects like these to leave the factory, much less pass them off on a customer. But then we all know customer service has died in the tech world!

I take it Johnny’s last name is “Dang”? He was my used sales guy and always got back to me within 24 hours. If I called him I usually got a call back within an hour or two. This was in July, mid pandemic, so he may have been less busy.

My personal guess is that they hired a bunch of inexperienced people who have no clue about what they are doing, and that matches EM's attitude that you are just buying tech. I had ordered a MY Performance, and nobody ever mentioned the fact that the car is a good weather car only. I live in Western Pennsylvania -- our weather is not good all of the time. Of course there should be something on the website to warn potential buyers, but the local rep should as well. But that might be it -- they are reps not car dealers or licensed car salepeople. They are all inexperienced at selling cars, but rather are used to buying everything online. A car is likely the second biggest purchase we all make, other than a house, and we expect some level of both exacting product quality and professional treatment by people at the sales/service locations. A real car manufacturer would never allow cars with defects like these to leave the factory, much less pass them off on a customer. But then we all know customer service has died in the tech world!
Summer performance tires are a problem in winter with any car. Wouldn't the MY Performance be OK with all-season or winter tires in the cold weather months?

So you bought a RWD vehicle with summer tires on it and are disappointed that the salesman didn't tell you that would suck in the snow? At what point do you take on some of that responsibility? You said it yourself, it's the second largest purchase most people will ever make so... why blindly go into the purchase? Seems like a foolish way to stumble through life. #notthesalesmansfault

Tesla has enough problems to address that are legitimate & entirely their fault w/o people like you blaming them for stuff that is 100% in your control. You blaming them for your shortcomings discredits legitimate issues people are having with things that are out of their control.

So you bought a RWD vehicle with summer tires on it and are disappointed that the salesman didn't tell you that would suck in the snow? At what point do you take on some of that responsibility? You said it yourself, it's the second largest purchase most people will ever make so... why blindly go into the purchase? Seems like a foolish way to stumble through life. #notthesalesmansfault

Tesla has enough problems to address that are legitimate & entirely their fault w/o people like you blaming them for stuff that is 100% in your control. You blaming them for your shortcomings discredits legitimate issues people are having with things that are out of their control.
You can’t buy a RWD Model Y today

I have bought over a dozen cars in my lifetime so far, and have never encountered a car that you had to double check whether anyone made tires for it. In every other case, and including some performance cars, the thought that tires other than summer tires didn't even exist was never a thought, a problem or an issue. I don't think checking to see if anyone makes tires for the car is something to check before you buy the damned thing. A simple note on the website that they have created a bit of a problem for you, or a simple comment by the sales rep would make all the difference. If you think having to check for things like that are normal, then goodie for you, but I think that is way outside the normal routine in buying a car. I don't think it's my shortcoming, and I think it's a legitimate point that should be noted somewhere. I was not ordering some outlandish racing machine, I was ordering simply a faster model of their car. If a buyer has to check things that minute, then a Tesla is just for some extreme car geeks.

I have bought over a dozen cars in my lifetime so far, and have never encountered a car that you had to double check whether anyone made tires for it. In every other case, and including some performance cars, the thought that tires other than summer tires didn't even exist was never a thought, a problem or an issue. I don't think checking to see if anyone makes tires for the car is something to check before you buy the damned thing. A simple note on the website that they have created a bit of a problem for you, or a simple comment by the sales rep would make all the difference. If you think having to check for things like that are normal, then goodie for you, but I think that is way outside the normal routine in buying a car. I don't think it's my shortcoming, and I think it's a legitimate point that should be noted somewhere. I was not ordering some outlandish racing machine, I was ordering simply a faster model of their car. If a buyer has to check things that minute, then a Tesla is just for some extreme car geeks.

I'll be the first one in line to back up someone who has a legitimate problem that Tesla caused. Anyone who knows of my posts on this forum will likely agree that I'm almost the furthest thing from a Tesla apologist that you will find and am quite critical of Tesla's mistakes and mishaps on a regular basis. This isn't Tesla's fault.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I had ordered a MY Performance, and nobody ever mentioned the fact that the car is a good weather car only. I live in Western Pennsylvania -- our weather is not good all of the time.

I strongly suggest you seek out Zack Nelson's (JerryRigEverything) video about the Model Y in Alaska and then say it's a fair weather only car.

Here's a link:

As for tires, are you surprised that a new car in its first year has few third-party tire options available?

Reactions: Fred42
Here's how I'd play the hand...

Keep up your patient stance. Enjoy your free rental. Way better than the wheels from Hertz. In other words - no proactive efforts on your own behalf.

If it goes into a few weeks... you've got a great story to pitch. Automotive reporters / journalists will eat it up.
I second this. Plus miles on their loaner car is much better than miles on your car.

I hit the 'buy' button on my model S about 2.5 months ago now.

I still don't have a car.

['Note: I'm in DC and my local Tesla center is Tysons Corner.]

Let's start from the beginning...

I got a cold email from Johnny D at Tesla about looking at a new Tesla. His timing was good. It was time to upgrade from my 2014 MS to something new. So I start looking around online. Johnny was supposed to look for cars for me, but it's just so much easier to look for myself than to sit there on the phone and have him do it for me while I wait. So I tried the website, but that was a waste of time given how limited their search functionality is and how unhelpful the live chat is. I would find one, email Johnny about it, and he'd get back to me a couple of days later (after which, the car was sold.) After three rounds of 'just missing' a car, I gave up on Johnny and I tried calling the local dealer in DC. But I could only ever get voice mail. I did finally get a call back. 5 days after I asked for one. By then, I had discovered tesla-info.com, found a car, and pulled the trigger. It was a CPO inventory car in CA.

Johnny called and said that since this was a new car, someone from 'new car sales' would be in touch. No one did, so when I reached out, they told me this was a used car, so someone over there would be in touch. After a bunch of comical back and forth watching Tesla argue with itself over whether my car was new or used, I finally got a reservation number and was told my car would be delivered in 2-4 weeks.

A couple of emails around week two and three went unreturned. Finally at week five, a started to make a fuss. Turns out no one ever did get my delivery underway, and my car was still in CA. But right around then, Tesla changed its policy and refused to send pix of my car while also publishing a list of all the stuff that could be wrong with it and have it still be 'okay' by their standards. I wasn't interested in getting a car with big scratches and dents and lord knows what else, so I asked if I could pick a new one (since it's not like mine had made it off the lot yet.) So they agreed and offered to let me credit the $2K transport fee to another vehicle.

I found a new (not CPO) model S, also in CA. But Johnny said that since this was a new car, he could not apply the $2K credit they offered me for screwing up my first delivery. "Tesla doesn't discount cars." I argued it wasn't a discount--it was just the transport fee. What's the difference if it's a used or new car? Still costs the same to transport. For 2 weeks and over half a dozen emails, I asked to speak to managers. Johnny refused to respond most times, and when he did, he never addressed my request to speak with someone. Anyway, by this time, they had reduced the price of the models S considerably, so they simply offered me the new price on it. Which I probably couldn't have gotten anyway, but it was more than the $2K, so I said fine. I just wanted my car, as I had sold my current one by now.

Turns out that once again, Tesla's right hand didn't talk to the left, and two weeks after waiting for delivery (I had a confirmed delivery appointment), my car still didn't start it's journey East.

WTF? Does Tesla not know how to ship a car????

Matthew, from the local showroom in DC (the one shining light in my saga), had the unfortunately job of telling me that yet again Tesla dropped the ball and failed to start the transport of my car. I told him I was carless now, so he managed to get his managers to give me one of the showroom's demos. (Thanks Matt!) At least I've got wheels again, and Matt finally confirms he can see my car moving East.

At long last, two months after I pulled the trigger, Matt confirms my car has actually arrived, and the Tyco Road center sets up my appointment.

Ready to forgive and forget just because I'm so excited to get my car, I take half a day off work to take delivery. Apparently they have outgrown their digs and are doing deliveries out of a recently acquired warehouse. When I get to the front desk, I'm told to head back out, walk down the side of the building, past the dumpsters, and I'll see a sign for a copy shop on the right. It's pouring down rain. No loaner umbrella. But okay... whatever. It's just water.

I get down there, and it's a typical unfinished warehouse. Ok...I get growth and how it takes some time to turn a recent building into a nice delivery area. I can get over that. But this place is a dump, and zero efforts have been made to make it even a little bit nice. There's a cleaning cart that serves as the agent's podium. I was handed a stack of paperwork. No tables or chairs. I'm expected to fill it all out standing up against a cinder block wall (still soaking wet.) Seriously, this is how Tesla delivers cars? They can't even spring for a $5 clipboard so I have something to write on??

It gets much worse.

They go get my car "from detailing." (Ha!) They drive it in soaking wet. I have to ask for a towel to wipe it down to give it a look over. In the course of doing so, I find about a dozen issues, the most egregious is a gash in the bumper about 3" long and 1/8" deep. Another one in the side mirror well into the black plastic. There's a nick in the trunk paint down to bare metal. A few other paint imperfections, and of course, the obligatory misaligned panel. Inside, it's clear no one has even so much as looked inside. Significant dirt on both driver and passenger white seats. Granted, the agent is able to (mostly) wipe off that dirt, but still. The whole thing is pretty dusty. And there are two pretty significant scratches on the center console lid.

This car has 10 miles on it. It's not like it was a demo or something. So you can see what I scoff at the fact they claimed it was 'in detailing' prior to delivery. It was clear that not only wasn't it cleaned, let alone detailed, but no one so much as took a quick walk around the outside just to make sure things were in order.

Obviously, I couldn't take delivery. I'm fuming at this point.

I go home and send one of those "I'm passed being mad, and now I'm just disappointed that this is what the Tesla brand has become..." emails to the delivery email addresses. A 'customer experience' person of some sort reached out to ask when I could chat. I had all day open, but he didn't call after all. No one did. This was last Thursday. Today is monday, and aside from consoling words from Matt the sales guy, I have yet to hear anything about when I might get my car.

So that's where I stand. At least I have their showroom demo car (which I'm kinda holding hostage to help effect a speedy resolution since I know they want it back.) I just can't believe how poorly this company is handling itself. Some things I understand are a result of their growing pains. I get that. But growing quickly doesn't excuse some basic customer experience issues like communication, transparency, or at least a couple of folding chairs and a clipboard at delivery. This is just good ol' fashioned incompetence and disregard for its customers.

I hope that someone at Tesla who cares might see this post and light some fires under some people that clearly need to give a bit more attention to customers and detail in general. Or if nothing else, maybe try to find my car in the body shop and bump it to the top of the list. I've more than waited my turn at this point.

To Tesla's credit, it says a lot about what an incredible product they have that I (and many others who have had similarly poor experiences) will tolerate this abuse as a customer just for the privilege of driving one of their cars. But man, once there is some competition, this company is in for a rude awakening.

November 12, 2020 UPDATE:

I finally took delivery of my car last Sunday. Reluctantly.

Nothing had improved as far as the delivery process/conditions. Still no chairs or tables or clipboards for all the paperwork. But more importantly, they only addressed 3 of my 12 issues (the most egregious paint gouges.) I had bulleted out each item in advance, just so there would be no dispute over what was to be corrected since the first delivery attempt. I got a call the day before from a delivery manager who told me my car was ready and looking great. But when I got out there, it was clear that they simply ignored most of my list. This includes not just factory paint defects, but also post-production issues (like a paint chip down to the bare metal--on a car with 11 miles on it.) When I pointed it out to the guy during delivery, he did take it over to the body shop and have them put some touch up paint on it (not like a professional job or anything--just the same thing anyone would do in their garage with a bottle of touch up paint.) Meanwhile, I spent the 45 minutes waiting, sitting on the dirty garage floor.) The rest he said was 'in spec.' So we had a 5 minute debate on how big a millimeter actually was. Then, I learned the side camera wasn't working either, but was told that could be fixed post-delivery. I should have rejected the car again, but at this point, I just need to get on with my life and quit spending my energy being infuriated by how this company has become so bad at quality the customer experience. Even the car itself just feels a lot 'cheaper' than my 2014 model S. For example, the edges of the body panels, where they wrap around and are seamed, are sharp and just feel very flimsy and unrefined. The hood feels like it's half the heft of my 2014 hood (that was thicker metal, had a nice liner, etc.) Some internal components are now plastic where they used to be metal. It's like the just watered the whole thing down a bit. I know I'll get over these things in time, but still, it's just disappointment after disappointment with both the car and company.

Next issue: my car didn't come with the FSD (full self driving.) I asked for it to be added prior to delivery (since it's just a software push.) But I was told I could easily do that from the app after delivery. Fine. No problem. Except that Tesla's repeated bungling of my delivery means that what should have taken 2-4 weeks took almost 2.5 months. Meanwhile, they jacked the FSD upgrade from $8 to $10K without any sort of notice or warning. I've reached out to all my contacts at Tesla now (who I'm sure all feel about me the same way I do about them) to see if they'd honor the $8K price under the circumstances. But of course, no replies from any of them. I'm guessing that now that I've taken delivery, they care even less about my satisfaction (which was hard to do.) I'll give them a full week to respond (and a few more polite nudges, just to give them the benefit of the doubt.) But if they continue to ignore me into next week, I think I'm going to file a small claims suit against them, just to get their attention. Normally, this wouldn't be worth the time it takes to go down to the court house, but one upside of the current state of affairs is that this can all be done virtually, so for a $35 filing fee and an hour of my time, I will be sure to get someone's attention.

Funnily enough, I got a customer satisfaction survey link from Tesla yesterday. I'm going to settle in with a healthy pour of bourbon, clear my evening, and let Tesla know how I really feel ;-).

20201108_133312.jpg 20201108_141543.jpg 20201108_141538.jpg
1. misaligned body panel that tesla is trying to tell me is 'in spec' and that there is nothing they can do about
2. the 'check in desk' for the delivery garage.
3. my vantage point from the floor, where I sat and waited 45 minutes for my car

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark

Nothing had improved as far as the delivery process/conditions. Still no chairs or tables or clipboards for all the paperwork. But more importantly, they only addressed 3 of my 12 issues (the most egregious paint gouges.) I had bulleted out each item in advance, just so there would be no dispute over what was to be corrected since the first delivery attempt. I got a call the day before from a delivery manager who told me my car was ready and looking great. But when I got out there, it was clear that they simply ignored most of my list. This includes not just factory paint defects, but also post-production issues (like a paint chip down to the bare metal--on a car with 11 miles on it.) When I pointed it out to the guy during delivery, he did take it over to the body shop and have them put some touch up paint on it (not like a professional job or anything--just the same thing anyone would do in their garage with a bottle of touch up paint.) Meanwhile, I spent the 45 minutes waiting, sitting on the dirty garage floor.) The rest he said was 'in spec.' So we had a 5 minute debate on how big a millimeter actually was. Then, I learned the side camera wasn't working either, but was told that could be fixed post-delivery. I should have rejected the car again, but at this point, I just need to get on with my life and quit spending my energy being infuriated by how this company has become so bad at quality the customer experience. Even the car itself just feels a lot 'cheaper' than my 2014 model S. For example, the edges of the body panels, where they wrap around and are seamed, are sharp and just feel very flimsy and unrefined. The hood feels like it's half the heft of my 2014 hood (that was thicker metal, had a nice liner, etc.) Some internal components are now plastic where they used to be metal. It's like the just watered the whole thing down a bit. I know I'll get over these things in time, but still, it's just disappointment after disappointment with both the car and company.

Next issue: my car didn't come with the FSD (full self driving.) I asked for it to be added prior to delivery (since it's just a software push.) But I was told I could easily do that from the app after delivery. Fine. No problem. Except that Tesla's repeated bungling of my delivery means that what should have taken 2-4 weeks took almost 2.5 months. Meanwhile, they jacked the FSD upgrade from $8 to $10K without any sort of notice or warning. I've reached out to all my contacts at Tesla now (who I'm sure all feel about me the same way I do about them) to see if they'd honor the $8K price under the circumstances. But of course, no replies from any of them. I'm guessing that now that I've taken delivery, they care even less about my satisfaction (which was hard to do.) I'll give them a full week to respond (and a few more polite nudges, just to give them the benefit of the doubt.) But if they continue to ignore me into next week, I think I'm going to file a small claims suit against them, just to get their attention. Normally, this wouldn't be worth the time it takes to go down to the court house, but one upside of the current state of affairs is that this can all be done virtually, so for a $35 filing fee and an hour of my time, I will be sure to get someone's attention.

Funnily enough, I got a customer satisfaction survey link from Tesla yesterday. I'm going to settle in with a healthy pour of bourbon, clear my evening, and let Tesla know how I really feel ;-).

View attachment 607662 View attachment 607663 View attachment 607665
1. misaligned body panel that tesla is trying to tell me is 'in spec' and that there is nothing they can do about
3. my vantage point from the floor, where I sat and waited 45 minutes for my car
Tesla gave a week's notice for the FSD price increase. Everybody pays the new price as of the effective date.

Maybe you should buy an Audi next time.

would it be THAT hard for Elon to hire away a top level exec from Amazons customer service team?

How about anyone but an intern? I have dealt with their escalation department and it's a joke. Tesla does not care about customer service or satisfaction unless it is a big PR disaster. The company is literally run on the lower level by a bunch of inexperienced children and wide-eyed inters. Don't believe it? Have a real issue and find out first hand how truly incompetent they manage every single aspect of CS.They have NO clue how to run a CS platform for a company of 1 to 100K employees because there are literally no people working there that have a clue. Only Elon could have CS worse than Paypal which is one of the most hated CS platforms in the US. PS, after you waste a year on an issue every person you ever spoke with will be gone as they have a huge attrition rate. This is their key excuse for everything, "that person is no longer with the company". Tesla loves their arbitration clause,

If you don't have a publicity agent - let me know - I'll do it for free.

My first move will be to send your photos of the delivery garage (this isn't an SNL skit ?) to editors from Car and Driver / Motor Trend / Road & Track etc.

We'll follow up with both your photos and the narrative of your delivery story to a variety of consumer reporters across Cable and network TV stations.

Settle in with your bourbon and think it over. I'll send over some of my 30 yr Port while you mull the situation.

I had a bad delivery experience as well, but you win. Four years later I will say that while it isn't especially good, at least you'll find the experience of dealing with Tesla to be extremely consistent. I really don't understand the cult following. They have great tech and were miles ahead in establishing the supercharger network, but the build quality and customer service are both well below what you find in other luxury brands. My next car won't be a Tesla.

I had a bad delivery experience as well, but you win. Four years later I will say that while it isn't especially good, at least you'll find the experience of dealing with Tesla to be extremely consistent. I really don't understand the cult following. They have great tech and were miles ahead in establishing the supercharger network, but the build quality and customer service are both well below what you find in other luxury brands. My next car won't be a Tesla.

Tesla is not a luxury brand, so that's a problem with your assessment right off the bat.

We're on our 3rd Tesla because our previous experience in ownership has been great. Not perfect, but great. YMMV

View attachment 607662 View attachment 607663 View attachment 607665

November 23, 2020 UPDATE:

More than two weeks after delivery, I still cannot get anyone at Tesla to contact me. I've decided I'm going to use my day off after Thanksgiving to file a civil suit against them in DC. If noting else, maybe it will get someone to at least talk to me.

Meanwhile, more Tesla disappointments...

I finally got around to my first hand-wash last weekend and was able to see just how poor the build quality has become. Sharp panel edges, trim parts that just won't fit no matter how you push them, lack of paint coverage on exposed panels around the trunk, rough metal parts that almost look like someone tried to fill holes with welding (I'll post pictures at some point--it's hard to describe this nonsense.) The frunk works, but it's just not smooth--I usually have to try 2 or 3 times to get it to open/close right. The handles only auto-present 75% of the time. The rest of the time I need to take the key out of my pocket and push the button (I know, I know... princess problems, but still. How can something as basic as unlocking the car not just work every time??) Almost everything about this car (other than of course the motor/battery upgrades) is an overall watering-down of my 2014 model S.

On top of that, my left camera doesn't work (it hasn't since I took delivery. I submitted a service request. They scheduled me 10 days out, and then a day before my service, I got an auto-email saying my parts were ordered. Then a few hours later, the server team contacted to say my parts hadn't come in yet and that I would need to reschedule (another 10 days out!.) They of course failed to mention that the parts didn't come in because they forgot to order them until a day before my appointment.

Pilling on... my app doesn't work (nothing that connects to the service department works.) I emailed service, and they told me to call the number. So I did and was told to submit a request on my app. Ugh! I finally get a hold of a real person who said that he's seen this before and that I should just uninstall/reinstall the app and 'give it a few hours' and it should fix itself. That did not work. So I still don't have app access to service/upgrades/etc.

All the while, no one from Tesla will return my emails. To be fair, an operations manager did email saturday afternoon to ask for a call. Having not seen his email until the next day, I outlined my schedule for him for monday/tuesday when I could take a call. He responded Tuesday night asking if there were any other days this week I could talk. So I outline the rest of my schedule through friday evening. Again, no response from him. This is a recurring theme: they ask when I'm available for a call, but then ignore me when I get back to them. We have yet to connect. I've asked to speak with whoever is the 'big boss' at the Tysons location, but I'm doubtful I get an answer, as my experience with Tesla personnel seems to be to ignore more request to speak to higher authorities.

Someone said it best in this thread: my mistake was thinking that Tesla is a luxury brand. They're not. They have tech that no one else has, and that tech is admittedly great. But nothing else about this company exudes luxury or even quality. To the contrary, they are WAY BEHIND most others in so many categories.

I think it's time to get over my disappointment and just get on with the only way consumers get to weigh in on companies: go to a competitor. Not that I'm turning my Tesla in right away, but as someone else said: unless things change dramatically, this will be my last Tesla.