Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

comma.ai: announces stopsign/red-light 'AP' - needs 10 cm GPS loc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
In below twitter periscope video (1/10/2018 5pm-ish) at about 19:36 into the video George Hotz discusses in a Q&A why stop sign and red light stopping requires high precision. It does not have anything to do with the ability to recognize the red (green) lights or signs. (seems stop sign / red light locations may be initially crowd sourced to be added to HD maps?)

Thought it would generate an interesting thread and discussion here.

Twitter post: comma ai on Twitter

FnJZBcc.jpg

Can anybody else really take this guy seriously. Watched the first ~9 minutes and completely lost interest. I would love to see Mr. Wonderful on Shak Tank get ahold of him with his pitch.
Why so dismissive. I pointed you to the time to start listening (19:36 into the video). :) I do because his mind works differently than most. See the quote below. This is not an ordinary person. Elon is not an ordinary person. We don't need to follow the 'standards' of success. Sorry for the minor rant.

A key point to me tho is that he and his team my have some insights (starting proof of concept and then actually shipped products) into how far computer vision with radar can take self-driving.

George Hotz, known online as GeoHot, became one of the world's most famous hackers at 17 when he was the first person to break into the iPhone and reconfigure it to be compatible with providers other than AT&T. He was also the first to jailbreak the PlayStation 3, allowing users to play with unauthorized software.

Last edited:
He has a cavalier approach towards safety that will likely get someone killed. If you thought Tesla is careless, just read up on how these guys circumvent NHTSA.
Yes, I realize they are doing opensource so users DIY from that and that comma.ai sells hardware and the highlevel system without the opensource pieces.

BUT as far as your safety point is concerned, I know (read and videos) that they *disable* the system for not only braking and wheel turns (x torque) BUT also disable it when you press the go pedal (accel). That was supposed to be for extra safety.

HOWEVER, that was not my point that you guys are distracting from. These are clearly smart people and their approach & reasoning to stoplight and stop signs WAS my point of discussion before you guys started side tracking. thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:
Yes. I think this is interesting. I was pretty surprised about his answer. And more surprised he would have everyone "enter" where to stop the car. I don't understand why he can't figure out a way to stop BEFORE the Intersection. I assume difficult but I believe that is the requirement once you detect a red light or a stop sign. Maybe this is the HD Maps people talk about?

I'm not an expert but I wouldn't be surprised if these guys end up being Tesla's biggest competitor for self driving.

Yeah, no. They are literally not doing anything special here. Most of this is covered in things like Udacity's self-driving car course.

I also get really sick of the "oooh hacker, he must know how to do everything!" attitude, but maybe that's because I've worked on too many safety critical devices and don't think highly of "clever" people. There's very little crossover between machine learning and jailbreaking a game console.

Yeah, no. They are literally not doing anything special here. Most of this is covered in things like Udacity's self-driving car course.

I also get really sick of the "oooh hacker, he must know how to do everything!" attitude, but maybe that's because I've worked on too many safety critical devices and don't think highly of "clever" people. There's very little crossover between machine learning and jailbreaking a game console.
Yeah I don't know, I agree with your "know everything" sentiment. But I disagree on crossover if they are using the phone as the main device. And I am kind of impressed by what they are doing with such few resources. And by competitor, I meant that it sounds like it could end up being the Android of the autonomous world. I could see autopilot dominating the new cars and then comma being what get's put on the billions of used cars, and iirc that's pretty much what he said they are aiming for in an interview I saw from last fall? Or maybe not. Interesting to see how all this ends up when the dust settles. My kids will never likely have to drive and my parents will likely never have to stop driving, or rather using cars. Pretty cool.

Reactions: davidc18
I wouldn't be dismissive at all. If you look what they've done with "off the shelf" cars with no custom anything is very impressive. I don't see this ever becoming more then lvl2 since they only have whatever the car offers, but still for what they have and what they have delivered it's quite good.

It also, makes you get that sick stomach feeling when he points out based on his knowledge and the Tesla current set of hardware that he believes Tesla will only get to lvl3 with it's current suite. I forget which video it was, but that was definitely eye opening, because if you watch his scopes, he's very pro Tesla and the Tesla approach.