Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed they flashed a view of the inside of the LOX tank during the live stream, which they haven't done in quite a while it seems. I wonder if it's related.

Honestly, I think that's just a camera slip from the production team. There are a lot of cameras on the rocket that are there for the SpaceX team to observe what is going on in certain areas. SpaceX needs to see inside the various stages to confirm the fuel is where it is supposed to be. The second stage does a cold nitrogen thrust backward to push the floating fuel in the tanks toward the engines. SpaceX would want a camera in place to confirm that the fuel is where it needs to be before turning on the turbopumps. That's why it is on for less than a second. Otherwise it would be something we'd see more often and for a longer time. I'm guessing but I think it's a production error.

I agree, but recall that in the past we have seen brief views inside that LOX tank during some launches. Certainly hadn’t seen it for awhile until this FH launch.
Yes, Scott Manley’s recap of this week’s space news has video of that (CRS-4 is especially interesting, with a video of what happens at SECO when the fuel starts floating around in the tank).

SpaceX would want a camera in place to confirm that the fuel is where it needs to be before turning on the turbopumps.
Surely engaging the turbopumps and ullage motors is an automated process. It seems super unlikely they'd want to put all their trust in the timing of humans and reliability of comms networks to do such things manually.

Yes, Scott Manley’s recap of this week’s space news has video of that
and I just noticed the "Bigger Lithobraking" edit on the thumbnail.

Reactions: Grendal
Surely engaging the turbopumps and ullage motors is an automated process. It seems super unlikely they'd want to put all their trust in the timing of humans and reliability of comms networks to do such things manually.

Yeah, pretty much the only manual events are the result of polling gates ("go for XYZ, etc."...and then not all of them are actually manual gates) and then of course post-launch abort (to supplement the auto-abort).

Crew Dragon anomaly in testing: Chris B - NSF on Twitter
The same one that did DM-1. Delays are now inevitable... Ugh.

D4oUT1UX4AA-CAJ

Last edited:
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scaesare and e-FTW
I am curious if anyone knows based on the type of test conducted where the anomaly would possibly occur on the capsule. Would this be the side boosters? From unconfirmed reports referenced in Grendal's linked FloridaToday article, the capsule was nearly destroyed. Huge loss if true. Is there a back up Dragon?

I am curious if anyone knows based on the type of test conducted where the anomaly would possibly occur on the capsule. Would this be the side boosters? From unconfirmed reports referenced in Grendal's linked FloridaToday article, the capsule was nearly destroyed. Huge loss if true. Is there a back up Dragon?

Too little information at this point to know. It's all speculative except we know it happened during a Superdraco test and there was the plume seen in the picture. Some people that might possibly know says that the plume is hypergolics which also says something happened with the Superdracos. We'll need more information to know the extent of the damage to the capsule. Definitely a significant loss if it is lost as that was the capsule to be used for the IFA and the next capsule in line is the DM-2 capsule.

Edit: It's destroyed. Here is a video of the anomaly:
Astronut099 on Twitter

Last edited: