Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eric Berger, "Nothing I'm prepared to write a full-length article on. However, what I have heard from good sources is that the problem was not directly caused by the SuperDraco thrusters, and that resolution of this issue will likely add a "few months" to the schedule rather than a year or more."
Thanks, that is good news indeed! I wonder if we will ever find out exactly what the issue was. At least the implication seems to be that the SuperDraco thrusters have no issues.

Report from SpaceX on the cause of the recent Crew Dragon anomaly during ground testing of the DM-1 capsule after recovery.
UPDATE: IN-FLIGHT ABORT STATIC FIRE TEST ANOMALY INVESTIGATION

Cause of the explosion, quote: “the anomaly occurred approximately 100 milliseconds prior to ignition of Crew Dragon’s eight SuperDraco thrusters and during pressurization of the vehicle’s propulsion systems. Evidence shows that a leaking component allowed liquid oxidizer – nitrogen tetroxide (NTO) – to enter high-pressure helium tubes during ground processing. A slug of this NTO was driven through a helium check valve at high speed during rapid initialization of the launch escape system, resulting in structural failure within the check valve. The failure of the titanium component in a high-pressure NTO environment was sufficient to cause ignition of the check valve and led to an explosion...
It is worth noting that the reaction between titanium and NTO at high pressure was not expected. Titanium has been used safely over many decades and on many spacecraft from all around the world.”

And the good news, quote: “SpaceX has already initiated several actions, such as eliminating any flow path within the launch escape system for liquid propellant to enter the gaseous pressurization system. Instead of check valves, which typically allow liquid to flow in only one direction, burst disks, which seal completely until opened by high pressure, will mitigate the risk entirely. Thorough testing and analysis of these mitigations has already begun in close coordination with NASA, and will be completed well in advance of future flights.”

Report from SpaceX on the cause of the recent Crew Dragon anomaly during ground testing of the DM-1 capsule after recovery.
UPDATE: IN-FLIGHT ABORT STATIC FIRE TEST ANOMALY INVESTIGATION

Cause of the explosion, quote: “the anomaly occurred approximately 100 milliseconds prior to ignition of Crew Dragon’s eight SuperDraco thrusters and during pressurization of the vehicle’s propulsion systems. Evidence shows that a leaking component allowed liquid oxidizer – nitrogen tetroxide (NTO) – to enter high-pressure helium tubes during ground processing. A slug of this NTO was driven through a helium check valve at high speed during rapid initialization of the launch escape system, resulting in structural failure within the check valve. The failure of the titanium component in a high-pressure NTO environment was sufficient to cause ignition of the check valve and led to an explosion...
It is worth noting that the reaction between titanium and NTO at high pressure was not expected. Titanium has been used safely over many decades and on many spacecraft from all around the world.”

And the good news, quote: “SpaceX has already initiated several actions, such as eliminating any flow path within the launch escape system for liquid propellant to enter the gaseous pressurization system. Instead of check valves, which typically allow liquid to flow in only one direction, burst disks, which seal completely until opened by high pressure, will mitigate the risk entirely. Thorough testing and analysis of these mitigations has already begun in close coordination with NASA, and will be completed well in advance of future flights.”
Nitrogen tetroxide has always been nasty stuff to deal with. In a book I wrote (Hostile Waters) about the sinking of the Soviet missile submarine K-219, leaking nitrogen tetroxide, mixed with seawater, which made nitric acid that ate right through a missile body, releasing the hydrazine rocket fuel (which is hypergolic with N2O4), causing an explosion inside a silo, and nearly created a "Chernobyl in the Gulf Stream" that would have made the beaches of North Carolina glow. This was in 1986.
It's still nasty stuff.
Robin

Nitrogen tetroxide has always been nasty stuff to deal with. In a book I wrote (Hostile Waters) about the sinking of the Soviet missile submarine K-219, leaking nitrogen tetroxide, mixed with seawater, which made nitric acid that ate right through a missile body, releasing the hydrazine rocket fuel (which is hypergolic with N2O4), causing an explosion inside a silo, and nearly created a "Chernobyl in the Gulf Stream" that would have made the beaches of North Carolina glow. This was in 1986.
It's still nasty stuff.
Robin
Great looking read, Hostile Waters (the sinking of K-219) will be my next read. Just finished Project Azorian (the raising of K-129), so will be a great follow up.

I'm betting the Russian subs no longer use 1, 2 or 9 numbering their subs.

Evidence shows that a leaking component allowed liquid oxidizer...
That part is not explained. What “component” leaked? The statement does not name the component, but surely that is another point of failure. It’s not just about the NTO igniting the titanium check valve; that would not have happened if there had been no “leaking”.

That part is not explained. What “component” leaked? The statement does not name the component, but surely that is another point of failure. It’s not just about the NTO igniting the titanium check valve; that would not have happened if there had been no “leaking”.
I'm guessing the one way valve leaked allowing NTO to get in the piping between the one way and main valve. Then that slug of liquid accelerated and slammed into the valve when the system pressurized. With the burst disks, the NTO is completely isolated until the system is activated with high pressure He.

Certainly the Commercial Crew news of the day is the preliminary reveal by SpaceX of the DM-1 investigation. Perhaps lost in the news cycle are the recent BS remarks made to Space News by Jim Bridenstine concerning SpaceX and their lack of communication. Interesting that Boeing's Starliner abort system leak anomaly continues to playout with a secrecy pass from NASA. Was starting to warm up to this NASA administrator as a possible good guy. I've now got Jimbo back on my "wary" list.
SpaceX's response to Crew Dragon explosion unfairly maligned by head of NASA

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Good find @Grendal. It looks as though the mainstream Space media has yet to pick up on this Starliner delay. Following a link from that "Mashable India" article there's a curious mention of NASA's recent management changes. From "Timesnownews.com", The Boeing Starliner mission was originally scheduled for this month, but that has been delayed to at least the end of the year or into 2020 due to technical issues and amid a shakeup in the top echelons of the space agency. The shakeup is probably referencing the Bill Gerstenmaier demotion, which only leaves us with more questions than answers.
The bottom line is Boeing's Starliner program is pushed out at least another six months. It also appears that SpaceX is back in the lead for launching the first Commercial Crew, presently recovering from their own six months of "technical issues".

Reactions: Grendal
Good find @Grendal. It looks as though the mainstream Space media has yet to pick up on this Starliner delay. Following a link from that "Mashable India" article there's a curious mention of NASA's recent management changes. From "Timesnownews.com", The Boeing Starliner mission was originally scheduled for this month, but that has been delayed to at least the end of the year or into 2020 due to technical issues and amid a shakeup in the top echelons of the space agency. The shakeup is probably referencing the Bill Gerstenmaier demotion, which only leaves us with more questions than answers.
The bottom line is Boeing's Starliner program is pushed out at least another six months. It also appears that SpaceX is back in the lead for launching the first Commercial Crew, presently recovering from their own six months of "technical issues".
The NASA shakeup is also affecting SpaceX though.

The bottom line is Boeing's Starliner program is pushed out at least another six months.

Huh???
Title of article says at least 2020, body of article says
Reportedly, due to some technical issues, the Boeing Starliner mission that was originally scheduled for this month has now been delayed to at least, the end of the year or into 2020.

The source article states the original schedule was this month so the delay is a minimum of 4 months.

It also appears that SpaceX is back in the lead for launching the first Commercial Crew, presently recovering from their own six months of "technical issues".

It seems like having your human rated capsule destroy itself four months ago rates better than air quotes. They also had a parachute test failure in April.

It seems like having your human rated capsule destroy itself four months ago rates better than air quotes. They also had a parachute test failure in April.
I deliberately understated the seriousness of those "technical issues". It was a swipe at the quote in the article where it referred to the technical issues experienced by Boeing's Starliner. As you're probably aware, Starliner also had a critical engine abort system failure, along with parachute anomalies similar to those of SpaceX's Dragon 2 capsule
However, you've busted me on the calendar. I thought I could get away with adding two months to that apparent 4 month Starliner delay. Can't bear to think we've already reached the end of summer!

• Helpful
Reactions: Grendal and mongo
Poking around the internet this morning, I couldn't find a reliable U.S. news source confirming a further extensive delay for Starliner. Thoughts are that the foreign reporter might be confusing the flights/dates for previously published timelines. I recall earlier this year Boeing was looking at around April for their uncrewed Starliner mission and this August for crewed. The reporter's delay comment about the end of year, into 2020, was likely meant to be a reference to the original August crewed mission. The earliest date I could find for the uncrewed Starliner is this September 17th, but wouldn't be surprised if that gets pushed.