Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched this morning and skipped to the important moments. The marketing words that annoyed me the most because they were repeated over and over was "flawless" and "flawlessly."

Post landing conference:
Flawless was the best descriptive word they could come up with? Bridenstine and company could've benefited by invoking the spin of our great leader. That Starliner mission was perfect!

Apologies, OT: But he said early SpaceX rockets "didn't hit the bulls eye" as the first three efforts blew up. That's not marketing spin; the opposite in fact. ;)
Sure, I was referring to use of the term for things other than precision landing, not saying he was performing marketing spin. In the case of Elon, what bullseye did the fourth hit?;)
So loosely, it seems bullseye=target/objective ... At least before Falcon 9 set the bar higher.

Reactions: Dr. J
Once again Eric Berger of Ars nails it: Starliner makes a safe landing—now NASA faces some big decisions

"Boeing—which presumably would have to pay for a second test flight as part of its fixed-price contract with NASA—certainly would like to be able to convince NASA that it does not need to make a second uncrewed test flight. On the day Starliner landed, it sure sounded like some key NASA officials would like to talk themselves into that as well."

And consecutive test #10 of the Mark 3 chutes is done: SpaceX on Twitter

EMfyl0sVAAAH_uZ

For those watching at home, yes they did this yesterday. Same day as the Starliner early landing. Coincidence for sure but that pic sure looks similar to that...

Berger's article points out a key OFT requirement that will be problematic for NASA to ignore. Here's the full statement on page 36 of NASA's contract with Boeing. "The Contractor’s flight test program shall include an uncrewed orbital flight test to the ISS. The OFT shall include a CCTS that validates end-to-end connectivity, LV and CST-100 integration, launch and flight operations, automated rendezvous and proximity operations, and docking with the ISS, assuming ISS approval."
Just based on that I'd bet on a OFT redo. In the past NASA has slipped in and out of aversion to risk, so even if the next flight was crewed it wouldn't come as a big surprise. Especially if some politicians get to lean in on the decision.

Berger's article points out a key OFT requirement that will be problematic for NASA to ignore. Here's the full statement on page 36 of NASA's contract with Boeing. "The Contractor’s flight test program shall include an uncrewed orbital flight test to the ISS. The OFT shall include a CCTS that validates end-to-end connectivity, LV and CST-100 integration, launch and flight operations, automated rendezvous and proximity operations, and docking with the ISS, assuming ISS approval."
Just based on that I'd bet on a OFT redo. In the past NASA has slipped in and out of aversion to risk, so even if the next flight was crewed it wouldn't come as a big surprise. Especially if some politicians get to lean in on the decision.

I'm just getting sick and tired of the dual standards. Boeing gets the lenient treatment, while SpaceX gets raked over the coals. Meanwhile it is Boeing that has killed over 400 people in the last two years due to bad engineering on their 737 Max. If Boeing isn't forced to do a reflight on their own dime, there won't be another word for it other than corruption.

Reactions: Grendal and traxila
That's still 1 km away from target. My original complaint about using the word bullseye said that they hit a spot within a 1 square mile of the target, which is about what happened. Had it been windier that day, it would have been further than 1 km away.

So, for an unsteered parachute drop from space, yes that's good. But let's stop using hyperbole like "Bullseye", especially when you can compare it to the much more advanced technology of SpaceX's stage 1 landings, which are almost 1,000 times more precise.

It's kinda like claiming a 40 MPG car is super duper energy efficient. But it just isn't when compared to a Tesla Model 3.

That's still 1 km away from target. My original complaint about using the word bullseye said that they hit a spot within a 1 square mile of the target, which is about what happened. Had it been windier that day, it would have been further than 1 km away.

So, for an unsteered parachute drop from space, yes that's good. But let's stop using hyperbole like "Bullseye", especially when you can compare it to the much more advanced technology of SpaceX's stage 1 landings, which are almost 1,000 times more precise.

It's kinda like claiming a 40 MPG car is super duper energy efficient. But it just isn't when compared to a Tesla Model 3.
Apple to oranges.
Fair comparison would be Dragon parachute landing on ground. But that won’t happen.

But let's stop using hyperbole like "Bullseye"
Chiming in on a slow news day. Agree, the Starliner play by play commentators might want to drop their "Bullsheyet". It's comical to use the term when a Starliner's final resting spot is at the mercy of the winds aloft. However, the landing accuracy of Starliner still deserves some public respect. To insure future consistency, Boeing could eliminate the "Bull", insert Marty Feldman, expanding the touchdown "eye" into a "We can't miss!" zone.
Marty (2).jpg

Reactions: e-FTW and Dr. J

Obviously Boeing plays electronic darts.
SpaceX plays proper darts.

Elon twittered a cool animation of the DM-2 crewed launch. He says SpaceX will be ready by February but safety reviews will cause a few months delay. So hopefully sometime before summer.
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) | Twitter
At first glance this news looks disappointing, but after a few minutes I've taken to the glass is still half full. Elon wasn't very clear about the DM-2 safety review timeline. Is he adding a few months to when "Crew Dragon should be physically ready & at the Cape in Feb," or does "but completing all safety reviews will probably take a few more months" start from the day of his 12/29/19 Tweet? I'm locked in, so have to stick with my earlier call, 3/18/20!

Reactions: Grendal