Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Communicate with car directly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your coworkers?
Your friends?
Friends of friends?
Children?
Business clients?

Mostly the part about equating trusting someone sitting in your backseat to trusting them with full access to your vehicle.

OP is talking about his mom. If you provide a loaner device for the backseat they can return it to you even if less trusted than “mom” ... and it is NOT full access to your vehicle. It is NOT a key unless you make it one. They can’t steal your car.

I also didn’t equate trusting them in the backseat ... I said backseat AND using the app:

If you trust them in your back seat and trust them to be able to use the app, there’s not much trouble they can cause you other than flashing your lights, honking your horn, and unlocking your doors when you don’t want them to.

Then I gave examples of stuff they could do if they were perhaps untrustworthy or jokesters. Amongst these is NOT stealing your car.

Last edited:
OP is talking about his mom. If you provide a loaner device for the backseat they can return it to you even if less trusted than “mom” ... and it is NOT full access to your vehicle. It is NOT a key unless you make it one. They can’t steal your car.

I also didn’t equate trusting them in the backseat ... I said backseat AND using the app:

Then I gave examples of stuff they could do if they were perhaps untrustworthy or jokesters. Amongst these is NOT stealing your car.
I'll admit I must have misread that statement (about the trust), so I'll concede my point on that one.

That being said, I definitely am not going to sign in to the app for anyone that I don't want driving the car. Main reason is even the most innocent of actions can cause harm, such as opening the app and causing the car to wake up and start draining itself.

The loaner device idea is neat.. until you have to either:
1) Pay for a plan to keep it connected
2) Remember to turn on tethering for your own cellphone everytime more than one person needs a ride in your car

I'll admit I must have misread that statement (about the trust), so I'll concede my point on that one.

That being said, I definitely am not going to sign in to the app for anyone that I don't want driving the car. Main reason is even the most innocent of actions can cause harm, such as opening the app and causing the car to wake up and start draining itself.

The loaner device idea is neat.. until you have to either:
1) Pay for a plan to keep it connected
2) Remember to turn on tethering for your own cellphone everytime more than one person needs a ride in your car

Ya, I wouldn’t want to provide a loaner device on a plan, LOL ... was more thinking an old phone that can connect to your new phone with wifi. Do you have to re-enable hotspot every time? Haven’t messed around with it. Can you do Bluetooth hotspot too maybe?

An old phone protected by a PIN you don’t mind sharing with passengers could be left in the glovebox or center console actually. The risk to your car is minimal. If you don’t notice the device missing AND someone knows your PIN they could unlock your doors, or cause phantom drain.

One thing I don't like about car is that the seat heaters in the back seat have no way to be controlled by the passengers in those seats, you can only do it from the screen.
Personally I like it. If someone in the back doesn't behave, I can light a fire under their butt (in summer) or freeze it (in winter). :D

I don't think what you are asking is possible right now.

I have an idea for this that will not require installing the app on your friend/families phones. Can't really test until I get the car though, so will have to wait until I can try it out.

Does it involve a long stick? Or a finger extension ... or perhaps a whole hand extension, like these?

https://www.amazon.com/Set-Five-Finger-Hands-Puppets/dp/B00OAC9BUO

5164r0msIbL._SL1001_.jpg