Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Company Registered keeper query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
Moderator comment - similar thread merged and renamed from "Registered keeper query"

So, dear old lady’s company bought the car, however she was meant to be shown as the registered keeper. Unfortunately, it appears Tesla ballsed up and have shown the company as the registered keeper. Our insurance has been purchased on the basis that the company is the owner, however wife is the RK.

Should we simply change the registered keeper, once the V5 arrives? If we do that, won’t it show a previous registered keeper, which could affect resale values? Is that actually a thing?

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the exact same thing. So I phoned Tesla and they sent a letter to me addressed to the DVLA stating that, due to an error their end, the car was registered to the company not to me. Tbh I haven’t yet sent this letter to the DVLA, but will soon. Pm me if you would like a copy of the letter.

Reactions: Cardo
So, dear old lady’s company bought the car, however she was meant to be shown as the registered keeper. Unfortunately, it appears Tesla ballsed up and have shown the company as the registered keeper. Our insurance has been purchased on the basis that the company is the owner, however wife is the RK.

Should we simply change the registered keeper, once the V5 arrives? If we do that, won’t it show a previous registered keeper, which could affect resale values? Is that actually a thing?

Thoughts?
I had exactly the same issue in 2019 with company name only on the V5. I sent the form to DVLA, asking to chage name from company to my name so that the insurance would be ok. As you rightly point out, DVLA then recorded it as a change in keeper, despite the address being the same. I was then the second keeper.

I currently have an M3LR on order to be dlivered this month. I have asked Telsa to put me on the V5 instead of the company. I'll not hold my breath as I think they just don't do it. Which is a PITA.

As Philip P rightly points out, DVLA will only amend it with a letter, otherwise its a change of keeper.

Having the DVLA record it as a change of keeper can knock a lot off the value. I've just bought a car that has a handful of miles on the clock (less than the average Tesla delivery mileage) for about £18k under list price, because it was registered at the end of December 2020. Most of that price reduction is because I will be the second owner, despite it having just sat in a showroom for a couple of months or so.

Moderator comment - duplicate thread moved from "Beware! Company car with individual registered keeper"

We bought our new M3 through the wife’s company, however requested the registered keeper to be my wife. Unfortunately, Tesla registrations have screwed the pooch and registered the car in the company’s name, despite me entering the wife’s name on the order page.

DVLA need a letter from the supplier confirming there was an error in registration to consider changing over the details without adding a previous registered keeper. I have been in touch with Tesla who are refusing to accept there has been a mistake and refuse to assist. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to take a screenshot of the order page as proof, as I didn’t expect Tesla to make such a simple mistake.

To say I’m unimpressed with Tesla’s lack of service is an understatement.

I’m posting this as a warning to anyone else looking to do the same. Make sure you take screenshots of your order page, as this will disappear, once the order is complete and Tesla will refuse to accept they’ve made a mistake without proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tom Tes
They do that a lot. You are not the first person this has happened to. Its come up on here before a few times. There are people who have manged to get Tesla to pony up a letter and get it changed so don't give up. You could always mock one up. Its not like DVLA will check :eek:

We bought our new M3 through the wife’s company, however requested the registered keeper to be my wife. Unfortunately, Tesla registrations have screwed the pooch and registered the car in the company’s name, despite me entering the wife’s name on the order page.

DVLA need a letter from the supplier confirming there was an error in registration to consider changing over the details without adding a previous registered keeper. I have been in touch with Tesla who are refusing to accept there has been a mistake and refuse to assist. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to take a screenshot of the order page as proof, as I didn’t expect Tesla to make such a simple mistake.

To say I’m unimpressed with Tesla’s lack of service is an understatement.

I’m posting this as a warning to anyone else looking to do the same. Make sure you take screenshots of your order page, as this will disappear, once the order is complete and Tesla will refuse to accept they’ve made a mistake without proof.
They did the same to me, so i got them to write a letter. pm me if you want a copy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
I don't understand their reticence to write a letter, it's no skin off their nose, it's not like they will get a fine or even so much as a ticking off.

No doubt a jobs worth SC manager, as I bet Tesla's legal dept. aren't involved either - they are too busy sending cease and desist letters to companies that offer quality products with great customer service!!

I don't understand their reticence to write a letter, it's no skin off their nose, it's not like they will get a fine or even so much as a ticking off.

No doubt a jobs worth SC manager, as I bet Tesla's legal dept. aren't involved either - they are too busy sending cease and desist letters to companies that offer quality products with great customer service!!
I was gobsmacked when they replied saying they would not assist and subsequently closed the support ticket.

We’ve still sent DVLA the V5 and a cover letter explaining the situation. Fingers crossed it’s picked up with someone with more common sense and reasonableness than Tesla.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I am new to leasing a car through the business and the whole registered keeper potential issue. Also not orignally from the UK, so not that across the DVLA intricacies :)
What is the potential issue if the car is insured in my name, registered to the company and the paperwork was completed with me as the driver/keeper?

I am new to leasing a car through the business and the whole registered keeper potential issue. Also not orignally from the UK, so not that across the DVLA intricacies :)
What is the potential issue if the car is insured in my name, registered to the company and the paperwork was completed with me as the driver/keeper?
In my experience, the insurance company likes the car to be registered in your name, not the company's. This way it is simpler to take out a personal policy instead of an expensive company policy and maintain your no-claims discount. Also, legally, the car is not a pool car, so it should be registered to the individual.

The registered keeper on the V5 certificate is not the leagl owner.
My LV insurance policy is worded such that I am the registered keeper and the car is owned by a company.

As discussed above, Tesla by default put the company name on the V5 which is a real PITA, even when an indivicual is listed in the registration detais on the web page. I learned this the hard way in 2019 when I got my M3 then, I changed the keeper but then DVLA listed it as a change of keeper on the V5, which is less than ideal because that is misleading.

Not wanting to fall into this trap again when I collected my M3 LR last week, I phoned Tesla a week befopre delivery and told them I wanted to be the registered keeper, to which they wanted an email request to that effect, which I supplied.

This is how my order page looked a week before delivery:

screen-summary-edi2.jpg

For those ordering company cars, check you get the REGISTER PERSONALLY bit on the order page if you want your name on the V5.

I haven't received my V5 yet though so not certain this has worked, but looks promising from the registration application in my account.

The same happened to me, I queried with Churchill, they didn't care, but I wasn't 100% happy about it for the future etc.

So, I added my personal name alongside the company details on the V5 (under the change of address type section I think), so it was updated from company name -> my name, company name. No queries from DVLA, they returned a new updated one a week or so later and importantly this didn't count as a change of ownership (you have to do it by post though, not online). For me the company address is the same as my home so that wan't an issue.

I was gobsmacked when they replied saying they would not assist and subsequently closed the support ticket.

We’ve still sent DVLA the V5 and a cover letter explaining the situation. Fingers crossed it’s picked up with someone with more common sense and reasonableness than Tesla.
given Covid you will be lucky if it is picked up by anyone at all for quite a while I'm afraid. last time I heard they had a bit of a backlog.
My insurer admiral was OK with car in company name. just wanted an extra £50 ( of course)

• Helpful
Reactions: Jez_GB
If it’s a lease, then the lease company will be both the owner and the registered keeper. You won’t be provided the V5. When you insure the vehicle, you will be given the option to provide the details of owner/registered keeper, if these are not the policy holder. There is usually a question asking what the relationship is between the policy holder and the owner/registered keeper, with Leased vehicle being one of the options.

given Covid you will be lucky if it is picked up by anyone at all for quite a while I'm afraid. last time I heard they had a bit of a backlog.
My insurer admiral was OK with car in company name. just wanted an extra £50 ( of course)
Oh dear! Oh well, we’ll just have to wait and see what DVLA have to say. Fingers crossed! Either way, I presume they’ll be fixing the R/K details, it’s just a question as to whether we end up with a previous R/K showing on the V5.

If it’s a lease, then the lease company will be both the owner and the registered keeper. You won’t be provided the V5. When you insure the vehicle, you will be given the option to provide the details of owner/registered keeper, if these are not the policy holder. There is usually a question asking what the relationship is between the policy holder and the owner/registered keeper, with Leased vehicle being one of the options.
Thanks for your repsonse, that is the setup we have, Tesla -> lease company -> business lease -> driver (me). I was not given the V5.
I sent the lease compnay proof of insurance and everybody, including Tesla who needed this to come to them through the lease company, seemed happy. Just want to make sure I have not accidentally done something wrong which will come back to haunt me if I ever need to make an insurance claim <quickly knocking on wooden surfaces>

In my experience, the insurance company likes the car to be registered in your name, not the company's. This way it is simpler to take out a personal policy instead of an expensive company policy and maintain your no-claims discount. Also, legally, the car is not a pool car, so it should be registered to the individual.

The registered keeper on the V5 certificate is not the leagl owner.
My LV insurance policy is worded such that I am the registered keeper and the car is owned by a company.

As discussed above, Tesla by default put the company name on the V5 which is a real PITA, even when an indivicual is listed in the registration detais on the web page. I learned this the hard way in 2019 when I got my M3 then, I changed the keeper but then DVLA listed it as a change of keeper on the V5, which is less than ideal because that is misleading.

Not wanting to fall into this trap again when I collected my M3 LR last week, I phoned Tesla a week befopre delivery and told them I wanted to be the registered keeper, to which they wanted an email request to that effect, which I supplied.

This is how my order page looked a week before delivery:

View attachment 647780

For those ordering company cars, check you get the REGISTER PERSONALLY bit on the order page if you want your name on the V5.

I haven't received my V5 yet though so not certain this has worked, but looks promising from the registration application in my account.
Thank you for the info, very helpful. As we went through a lease company rather than direct to Telsa, they are the owner and registered keeper as far as I understand. The insurance is in my name as the driver and I had to provide proof to the lease company. I hope it is all correct in case I ever need to make a claim....fingers crossed, knocking on wood, etc

Thanks for your repsonse, that is the setup we have, Tesla -> lease company -> business lease -> driver (me). I was not given the V5.
I sent the lease compnay proof of insurance and everybody, including Tesla who needed this to come to them through the lease company, seemed happy. Just want to make sure I have not accidentally done something wrong which will come back to haunt me if I ever need to make an insurance claim <quickly knocking on wooden surfaces>
This sounds normal to me. The lease company will probably ask you for proof of insurance each year, for their records.

Reactions: Cloggie