Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive List of NEMA Adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In preparing for a road trip to visit my parents, I wanted to make sure I had the right charging adapter to recharge at their house. For some reason, Tesla's website makes it hard to quickly compare all of the various plug types. I couldn't seem to find a simple, comprehensive, visual list of every available Gen 2 NEMA charging adapter. So, I created one. I hope others find this helpful.

Tesla Gen 2 NEMA Adapters.png

I ended up ordering the 14-30 adapter from Tesla. It shipped the next day, and arrived 8 days later.

In preparing for a road trip to visit my parents, I wanted to make sure I had the right charging adapter to recharge at their house. For some reason, Tesla's website makes it hard to quickly compare all of the various plug types. I couldn't seem to find a simple, comprehensive, visual list of every available Gen 2 NEMA charging adapter. So, I created one. I hope others find this helpful.

View attachment 576654

I ended up ordering the 14-30 adapter from Tesla. It shipped the next day, and arrived 8 days later.
I would also recommend grabbing up the 14:50. It's a good one to have on hand for those RV pop up opportunities.

View attachment 576654

View attachment 576654

Thanks, I have been meaning to create a list. This is very helpful.

This is great. Recently I arrived for a 5-day stay at an RV camp that used 10-30, which I didn't have the adapter for. I got 1 - 3 mph on 110 for the whole trip. Put a crimp into the first couple days of the trip for sure.
That's not 10-30. That is a TT-30. TT-30 is 120V 30A. The 10-30 is the old style dryer outlets, which are 240V.

Nicely done! I'm going to "steal" it for my own use. But here's the thing, I've had my M3 for about 1 1/2 years and in my travels have never come across a 220 except in a campground. With all the non-Tesla charging stations around, I just keep the adapter that came with the car in the trunk for non-Tesla charging stations such as ChargePoint.

I tried charging the M3 for several months after I bought it using 110 and almost burned my house down. If you are going to use 110, make sure you lower the amps to what the wire can handle and for anything else you might be running on that line. So when I finally had an electrician run cable to my garage, I had them pull an extra line for a 14-50 receptacle which is mounted right next to my Tesla charger as my backup just in case the charger dies.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin

View attachment 576654

That info is in the tesla store when you go buy the adapters.
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The TT-30 really should be included as it is still quite common at campsites and some RV parks.
That was not shown here because Tesla doesn't make a TT-30 adapter. But for any kind of outlet that Tesla doesn't officially build an adapter for, there is a great company called EVSEAdapters that makes really professional style adapters for the Tesla charge cable. They plug right in, and set the current level properly, and even preserve the temperature sensor in the plug. Here is their page for those, and they do have a TT-30 there.

For Tesla Model S, Model 3, Model X, & Model Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

Reactions: SSonnentag
That was not shown here because Tesla doesn't make a TT-30 adapter. But for any kind of outlet that Tesla doesn't officially build an adapter for, there is a great company called EVSEAdapters that makes really professional style adapters for the Tesla charge cable. They plug right in, and set the current level properly, and even preserve the temperature sensor in the plug. Here is their page for those, and they do have a TT-30 there.

For Tesla Model S, Model 3, Model X, & Model Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

Yep, I have one of them and it works great.

Dumb question, but do you need an additional extension cable to connect from the adapter to the car?
It sounds like you are not picturing this right. The adapters are just little 1 foot pieces that plug and unplug from the electronics box on your charging cable. Swapping adapter types doesn't change the length of the cable, which is overall about 20 feet, I think. So which kind of adapter plug you are using is irrelevant to whether you need an extension cord or not.

So if you can park within about 15-20 feet of the outlet, you just use the regular included charging cable, and there's no need for an extension. If it's more than that, then it gets a little complicated about what kind of extension you would need to have for what kind(s) of plugs.

I have a question regarding the TT-30.

J1772 spec states that you can charge at varying amperages on 120V and 240V. For 120V, it's 12 and 16 amps. (NEMA 5-15 and 5-20)

Source with a chart: SAE J1772 - Wikipedia

The TT-30 charges at 24A over 120V, but that is not in the spec (At least on Wikipedia), and Tesla doesn't sell the adapter. How did someone find out that Teslas would support charging up to 24A on 120V?

EDIT: Nevermind!

"Some EVs have extended J1772 to allow 120 V charging at greater than 16 amps. This is useful, for example, at RV parks where TT-30 ("Travel Trailer" - 120 V, 30 A) receptacles are common. These allow charging at up to 24 amps. However this level of 120 V charging has not been codified into J1772."

One thing I find kind of neat with Tesla is that when you set the in-car charging amperage, it doesn't care whether you're charging at 120 or 240V. So in my unique circumstance, living out of a 5th wheel during the week, I have my car set to 12A charge rate as that is the maximum I can draw from my 240V NEMA 14-50 splitter extension cord (sharing with the RV) without exceeding 40A if everything in the RV comes on at once. My RV space comes equipped with a 120V NEMA 5-15 outlet as well, so my wife and I can plug into either the 240V or the 120V chargers and never have to change the amperage settings. The 120V just charges at half the speed. My commute is only 10 miles round trip, so the trickle charge is fast enough. :D