Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hrm, interesting. That's not been my experience...for the most part I see the album art that I put in tracks (these are mostly mundane MP3s, audiophiles can stop snickering now). I can only think of one instance where this didn't work, and I attributed that to me having a way too large JPEG image embedded in the tracks (400+KB), haven't had time to investigate further or fix. But I'm kind of a n00b at this digital audio thing, so...???...

Bruce.

PS. 8.0 (2.50.114), before that 8.0 (2.46.16).

Mine is using my embedded album art for sure. I know that because I coded several 80s songs as coming from the VH1 Greatest Hits of the 80s where I burned the songs from (no judgement ;)), and it does display that and not album art from the original release album, which is what an online database would do when parsing the metadata. Every one of my tracks has had correct album art except a few that had none. ( I need to check those to see if they are the wrong size or something.)

I've almost come to the conclusion that the media player does not use the album art stored in the track, it always goes to some other database. I see the wrong album art way too often when I know it's stored correctly with the track.

I'm going to switch to FLAC in the next couple of weeks so when I wade back into the whole USB quagmire I'll do a little definitive testing.
In the last couple of releases, and using FLAC-only in my MS, I have not personally seen any situation where it's not my art being displayed with my USB track. As to if it's the right art, well, that can at times be the question.

IMHO there remain issues with Tesla keeping a single image for a single Album Title... meaning if you have different art on different tracks in the same album -- forget it -- only one will be shown for all. Also, e.g. if you have two albums named say "Greatest Hits" but by two different artist or groups, they will all show with one single album art image... it's why in my previously described workarounds I fiddle with selected Album names and append album Artist to some of them, so it forces the Tesla interface to keep unique art for the distinctly different albums.

While I've not tried it with the Latest drop, as I reported upthread, album art seems to be pervasive now through some CID reboots... meaning, if you have wrong art, reboot the CID thinking it will pick up new art from your USB device, it may not. IDK how to consistently resolve that since .40. It's a newer mystery that perhaps only Tesla may understand.​

Last edited:
In the last couple of releases, and using FLAC-only in my MS, I have not personally seen any situation where it's not my art being displayed with my USB track. As to if it's the right art, well, that can at times be the question.

IMHO there remain issues with Tesla keeping a single image for a single Album Title... meaning if you have different art on different tracks in the same album -- forget it -- only one will be shown for all. Also, e.g. if you have two albums named say "Greatest Hits" but by two different artist or groups, they will all show with one single album art image... it's why in my previously described workarounds I fiddle with selected Album names and append album Artist to some of them, so it forces the Tesla interface to keep unique art for the distinctly different albums.

While I've not tried it with the Latest drop, as I reported upthread, album art seems to be pervasive now through some CID reboots... meaning, if you have wrong art, reboot the CID thinking it will pick up new art from your USB device, it may not. IDK how to consistently resolve that since .40. It's a newer mystery that perhaps only Tesla may understand.​
@BertL you inspired me to dig a little deeper...

Here are two interesting examples I noted today while a passenger (S90D 2.48.16). These show the MP is not using the track album art for a given track. And I verified that all tracks in each album listed below have the same art; i.e., there is no issue with some tracks in the album having different art that other tracks. And you can see the dbPowerAmp reduction to 300x300.

1. Volcano by Jimmy Buffett on All The Greatest Hits.
a. The MP displays Diana Ross - All the Greatest Hits, while playing Jimmy Buffett.
b. The metadatics data for Volcano taken from the SSD from which the MP was playing.
c. The metadatics data for the Diana Ross album being displayed, which also on that SSD.

The ambiguity is whether the MP was lazy and figured "All The Greatest Hits" meant it could use a cached version of the Dianna Ross, or whether it went to Gracenotes or some other DB and used the first cover it found. In either case, it is not the art that was embedded in the track file.

All the Greatest Hits.jpg
Volcano - metadatics.png
Diana Ross metadatics.png
2. Somebody to Love - Grace Slick / Jefferson Airplane - Rolling Stone Women in Rock
a. The MP displays some other Rolling Stone compilation that includes Somebody to Love, but it's an album that is not on the SSD.
b. The metadatics data for the track file from the SSD which clearly shows different album art that what was displayed.

Somebody to Love.jpg
Somebody to love - metadatics.png

Its' not clear how/why the MP is doing this, but it is not using the art embedded in the track file. One more bug to add to the list.​

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kevinf311
@BertL you inspired me to dig a little deeper...

Here are two interesting examples I noted today while a passenger (S90D 2.48.16). These show the MP is not using the track album art for a given track. And I verified that all tracks in each album listed below have the same art; i.e., there is no issue with some tracks in the album having different art that other tracks. And you can see the dbPowerAmp reduction to 300x300.

1. Volcano by Jimmy Buffett on All The Greatest Hits.
a. The MP displays Diana Ross - All the Greatest Hits, while playing Jimmy Buffett.
b. The metadatics data for Volcano taken from the SSD from which the MP was playing.
c. The metadatics data for the Diana Ross album being displayed, which also on that SSD.

The ambiguity is whether the MP was lazy and figured "All The Greatest Hits" meant it could use a cached version of the Dianna Ross, or whether it went to Gracenotes or some other DB and used the first cover it found. In either case, it is not the art that was embedded in the track file.

View attachment 208225
View attachment 208226
View attachment 208227
2. Somebody to Love - Grace Slick / Jefferson Airplane - Rolling Stone Women in Rock
a. The MP displays some other Rolling Stone compilation that includes Somebody to Love, but it's an album that is not on the SSD.
b. The metadatics data for the track file from the SSD which clearly shows different album art that what was displayed.

View attachment 208228
View attachment 208229

Its' not clear how/why the MP is doing this, but it is not using the art embedded in the track file. One more bug to add to the list.​
As always. Interesting.

1. I saw more and more of this problem in the past month with MP using a single image when the Album Title is the same, but Album Artist is different. I didn't attempt to figure out which was which, just the oddities similar to what you experienced between Jimmy Buffet and Diana Ross.

2. That's a new one. Any chance the album art that was displayed was left in MP's cache from some previous playback? I'm fairly certain (at least through .40) MP Album Art cache is no longer consistently cleared upon full reboot as has been the case for months. IDK if the album art cache is possibly shared between say streaming services and USB, so maybe someway that's how odd art can be displayed. I suppose it's possible that Gracenotes is still being used in some situations -- but if that's the case, I find it really odd why Tesla would leave the code there for something that is such a minimal use case in the latest MP implementation, and with all the chatter about how memory is constrained. There have certainly been other odd occurrences. I'm just glad such oddities don't occur with basic systems that control the drivability and safety of our MS! ;)

Thanks for the head scratch tonight. I'll probably dream about this, thanks to you! :)

Reactions: kevinf311
Any chance the album art that was displayed was left in MP's cache from some previous playback? I'm fairly certain (at least through .40) MP Album Art cache is no longer consistently cleared upon full reboot as has been the case for months. IDK if the album art cache is possibly shared between say streaming services and USB, so maybe someway that's how odd art can be displayed.
I don't think so as I don't have that Rolling Stone compilation album.

DK if the album art cache is possibly shared between say streaming services and USB, so maybe someway that's how odd art can be displayed. I suppose it's possible that Gracenotes is still being used in some situations -- but if that's the case, I find it really odd why Tesla would leave the code there for something that is such a minimal use case in the latest MP implementation, and with all the chatter about how memory is constrained.

I would have thought so also, but my 2014 BMW which costs half as much as the MS has 10GB on its internal storage reserved for the Gracenotes DB. But maybe they are more generous than Tesla!

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 9.18.00 PM.png

I would have thought so also, but my 2014 BMW which costs half as much as the MS has 10GB on its internal storage reserved for the Gracenotes DB. But maybe they are more generous than Tesla!

View attachment 208269
Humm. Well, IDK, and have not come up with any more ideas after sleeping on it.

My former Lexus, BMW and MBZ all had a static copies of Gracenotes DB as well. Issue of course with that implementation was how the data aged (and I'd say Gracenotes isn't always that accurate to begin with), with no (reasonable price) way of it being updated for more recent or obscure albums. What IDK for a fact is if Tesla ever used a Gracenotes DB, or instead always used an internet lookup for Album Art in the past. I highly suspect the latter, given there is no HDD in our CID and there is a fixed 2GB of memory that puts its use at a premium for code (for lots more than just MP) and targeted working cache -- that's why my comment about Tesla leaving obscure left-over code would be so odd from a design/architecture standpoint.

View attachment 208269
Remember that Tesla was the first "always connected" car. The MP was designed to go to the internet for art, not cache grace notes. Before recent releases, it NEVER used embedded art, which was a bug. The internet search was laughable, often returning goofball results. Sounds as if maybe it still ignores embedded art in the some cases of compilations (which we know are goofed up anyway). I'll gladly ding Tesla for crappy media player implementation, but I think the concept of internet search vs caching was good design. Implementation terrible.

PS, I'm finally understanding... my Ferrari Mondial cost 10x my Chevy Caprice, but Ferrari didn't come with automatic seats or automatic transmission. What a ripoff! I'm learning from this forum.

Reactions: msnow and BertL
Humm. Well, IDK, and have not come up with any more ideas after sleeping on it.

My former Lexus, BMW and MBZ all had a static copies of Gracenotes DB as well. Issue of course with that implementation was how the data aged (and I'd say Gracenotes isn't always that accurate to begin with), with no (reasonable price) way of it being updated for more recent or obscure albums. What IDK for a fact is if Tesla ever used a Gracenotes DB, or instead always used an internet lookup for Album Art in the past. I highly suspect the latter, given there is no HDD in our CID and there is a fixed 2GB of memory that puts its use at a premium for code (for lots more than just MP) and targeted working cache -- that's why my comment about Tesla leaving obscure left-over code would be so odd from a design/architecture standpoint.
I thought when I ordered my car that you got 16GB of SD card memory if you ordered the "Tech Package" although I can't find any mention of it now. I never knew what is was for exactly except that it was associated with the MP. Anyone else remember this?

I thought when I ordered my car that you got 16GB of SD card memory if you ordered the "Tech Package" although I can't find any mention of it now. I never knew what is was for exactly except that it was associated with the MP. Anyone else remember this?
Way back when they said that there would be memory in the car for music files and such. That was pulled, probably when they realized it would be needed for basic auto functions. I'm guessing late 2012. Regardless, USB a much better solution as I have a terabyte, if they would only tidy up the remaining USB MP flaws.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Remember that Tesla was the first "always connected" car. The MP was designed to go to the internet for art, not cache grace notes. Before recent releases, it NEVER used embedded art, which was a bug. The internet search was laughable, often returning goofball results. Sounds as if maybe it still ignores embedded art in the some cases of compilations (which we know are goofed up anyway). I'll gladly ding Tesla for crappy media player implementation, but I think the concept of internet search vs caching was good design. Implementation terrible.

PS, I'm finally understanding... my Ferrari Mondial cost 10x my Chevy Caprice, but Ferrari didn't come with automatic seats or automatic transmission. What a ripoff! I'm learning from this forum.
I kinda liked Paul Oakenfold's IMDB photo for all his albums.....

I tried a "definitive" test, but it is inconclusive. I took three tracks and copied the same album art (actually just a screen shot of a disk drive) into them with Metadatics, trying to see if the MP would use something else. It did not, it used the bogus art for all three tracks. So I can't explain when it does and doesn't use the embedded album art, though clearly the original examples I posted yesterday show that there are problems in either the design or the implementation.

The bottom line is that the MP is neither consistent or reliable, it is capricious. YMMV. Happy New Year!

IMG_1604.JPG IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1606.JPG

I tried a "definitive" test, but it is inconclusive. I took three tracks and copied the same album art (actually just a screen shot of a disk drive) into them with Metadatics, trying to see if the MP would use something else. It did not, it used the bogus art for all three tracks. So I can't explain when it does and doesn't use the embedded album art, though clearly the original examples I posted yesterday show that there are problems in either the design or the implementation.

The bottom line is that the MP is neither consistent or reliable, it is capricious. YMMV. Happy New Year!

View attachment 208328 View attachment 208329 View attachment 208330
What are the specs of the album art in these 3 cases? Format? Size?

Oh geez, where is my list.....
I've run into this bug too, except in my case the two numbers are much further apart.
When it happens, if I navigate (via "Folders") to a listing of files it didn't get around to scanning, my entire Folders view actually switches over to just showing raw filenames. Usability-wise, this is actually better than whatever they normally try to present on the screen.

I am starting to wonder what would happen if I stripped all metadata out of all the music files on my USB stick. Would it scan faster? Would it force the "Folders" view to not get screwed up and just present the data how I've personally organized it?

I am starting to wonder what would happen if I stripped all metadata out of all the music files on my USB stick. Would it scan faster? Would it force the "Folders" view to not get screwed up and just present the data how I've personally organized it?
I tried that experiment upthread. IMHO removing "excess" tags (and album art) accomplished little if anything in terms of scan/rescan speed. Give it a try though. I've not done it on the current release.

I tried that experiment upthread. IMHO removing "excess" tags (and album art) accomplished little if anything in terms of scan/rescan speed. Give it a try though. I've not done it on the current release.
Excess tags, or all tags? I'm proposing stripping out all tags, so it can't mis-index/mis-sort all my descriptive data (song titles, album names, etc.) and theoretically has no chose but to actually present my sane filenames.

Excess tags, or all tags? I'm proposing stripping out all tags, so it can't mis-index/mis-sort all my descriptive data (song titles, album names, etc.) and theoretically has no chose but to actually present my sane filenames.
Take a gander upthread for detail. I removed excess tags. You're welcome to try all tags, just understanding of course that I for one would have no expectation of things working well in any view that is dependent upon them... and in some former code drops also discussed previously, as odd as it was, Folder View was still using some of that tag data (even though I for one do not believe it ever should except for perhaps the actual display of track info when playing back a single track in folder view.) Please do go ahead and do your tests... results vary from release-to-release, so have fun! ;)