Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, USB music software could use a bit of software work. It sounds like you have an older car. The new cars don't have any way to show music in the instrument cluster (problem fixed!).

To start up the USB where it last left off when you get in the car there are two tricks.
1) Have Sentry mode (for 2016 & later cars) on all the time. USB music will continue from where it stopped.
or
2) Use the voice command "Switch to USB".

Not perfect, but a workaround until they fix it.
Tesla also appears to have blatantly disabled USB music and not over the air streaming while playing a game with he new MCU2.

Has anyone seen bogus track times in the USB media player?

I started noticing this after SW Update 2023.20.7 on July 3, 2023 and it's not been fixed yet. I've had 4 SW updates since then and am currently running SW 2023.26.8. This is on a 2022 Model 3, but AFAIK the USB media player SW is the same for all Tesla models. Please let me know if I'm wrong and should not be posting in this thread.

MP3 files show correct track times. Some, but not the majority, of the rest show bogus track times, including MPEG-4 AAC, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC. It showed bogus times for every track on an album I had encoded as FLAC.

All files formats play fine. Well, occasionally there's an audio glitch that makes me wonder if the file got corrupted. I rewind a little to check, and then it plays fine. That tells me the car was doing something else and USB playback got a low priority at that moment, so I got audio garbage. Doesn't happen too often, but annoying. This is 20-year-old technology that you kinda expect to work.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Has anyone seen bogus track times in the USB media player?

I started noticing this after SW Update 2023.20.7 on July 3, 2023 and it's not been fixed yet. I've had 4 SW updates since then and am currently running SW 2023.26.8. This is on a 2022 Model 3, but AFAIK the USB media player SW is the same for all Tesla models. Please let me know if I'm wrong and should not be posting in this thread.

MP3 files show correct track times. Some, but not the majority, of the rest show bogus track times, including MPEG-4 AAC, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC. It showed bogus times for every track on an album I had encoded as FLAC.

All files formats play fine. Well, occasionally there's an audio glitch that makes me wonder if the file got corrupted. I rewind a little to check, and then it plays fine. That tells me the car was doing something else and USB playback got a low priority at that moment, so I got audio garbage. Doesn't happen too often, but annoying. This is 20-year-old technology that you kinda expect to work.

Not sure about the other formats, but in FLAC there is metadata for track length, similar to artist name, etc. You can change it to not match the actual audio. Any chance you’ve compared the wrong track length to see whether it’s just using this different source for the info? In other words, could it be correctly displaying data that is incorrect?

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Any chance you’ve compared the wrong track length to see whether it’s just using this different source for the info? In other words, could it be correctly displaying data that is incorrect?
Great idea to check that, which I did, and the metadata is legit. What's interesting about this whole bogus track time issue is that it's a moving target. I had noticed that the files with bogus track times would sometimes change with each new SW update. Now, after updating to 2023.26.9, the FLAC album track times are all correct again and different tracks now have bogus track times. I haven't done an exhaustive check (because there are hundreds of tracks), but it looks like MP3 tracks don't get bogus track times, but the other formats do.

I’ve noticed this too on recent versions. But it happens quite frequently for me, at least once per song, often 2-3x per song. Super annoying, and it used to work fine with the same usb stick.

I still can’t index my ~10k-song stick that used to work fine (and has no problem playing / copying to / from a computer), but my 8GB ~1k song sticks index fine. But they all have the occasional audio garbage issue.

I’ve noticed this too on recent versions. But it happens quite frequently for me, at least once per song, often 2-3x per song. Super annoying, and it used to work fine with the same usb stick.

I still can’t index my ~10k-song stick that used to work fine (and has no problem playing / copying to / from a computer), but my 8GB ~1k song sticks index fine. But they all have the occasional audio garbage issue.
I only experience imperfections on streaming music once per ~50 songs. 😉 But, I understand streaming quality is garbage for some us audiophiles. 😜