Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concern about thief stealing center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the fear is that would-be-thiefs might *think* its an ipad and break in...realize its built in and NOT a tablet - but damage has already been done.

This was my concern. Thief stealing it thinking it is like an attached iPad/tablet. There is a greater chance they mess it up compared to embedded screen on S & X.

I guess we will find out as more Model 3's are poured on the road.

Reactions: dragonxt
It's actually pretty amazing how rigid the screen mount is. I was skeptical early on that it would be flimsy and vibrate on rough roads, but that thing is solid. I would think it would be hard to break off the dash. They could however smash and crack the screen as it's just like any flat panel. i imagine the car is still able to be driven even with the screen inoperable, but obviously wouldn't know speed, etc..It is most likely bolted to the dash somehow, so shouldn't be too difficult to replace, but waiting for parts might be the biggest issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximilien
It's actually pretty amazing how rigid the screen mount is. I was skeptical early on that it would be flimsy and vibrate on rough roads, but that thing is solid. I would think it would be hard to break off the dash. They could however smash and crack the screen as it's just like any flat panel. i imagine the car is still able to be driven even with the screen inoperable, but obviously wouldn't know speed, etc..It is most likely bolted to the dash somehow, so shouldn't be too difficult to replace, but waiting for parts might be the biggest issue.

It is relieving to hear it is rigid.

Many cars have such design now, and I've never heard of it being a concern, FWIW
e.g. Our smaller B-class electric has something that looks a lot like an ipad from the outside, it even looks like it's resting in cradle shape and has brushed metallic thin outside bezels. Whoever designed that was certainly... uninspired, but on those forums theft has never come up.

The model 3's screen is prominently integrated into the dash.Anyone that looks inside and sees the unusual dash design is likely to go WTF and move on, IMO, unless they are very impaired.
upload_2018-1-23_5-9-6.png

[I now look at this dash/console/etc and can't help seeing the hundred or so buttons many of which I've never pressed.]

Many cars have such design now, and I've never heard of it being a concern, FWIW
e.g. Our smaller B-class electric has something that looks a lot like an ipad from the outside, it even looks like it's resting in cradle shape and has brushed metallic thin outside bezels. Whoever designed that was certainly... uninspired, but on those forums theft has never come up.

The model 3's screen is prominently integrated into the dash.Anyone that looks inside and sees the unusual dash design is likely to go WTF and move on, IMO, unless they are very impaired.

[I now look at this dash/console/etc and can't help seeing the hundred or so buttons many of which I've never pressed.]

Yeah, I was going to say that a lot of other car's screens look a lot more like tablets. The Model 3 has a 15" screen which is nothing like an iPad. There's no way they can make money on the screens, so it's nothing like catalytic converters.

Not that I'm concerned about theft, but I'm thinking of possibly having the back of the screen wrapped in black or something darker. Looking through the windshield, the silver back of the screen tends to draw your attention more than I would like. Having it darker would make it blend more into the interior.

Our 2015 Fiat 500e has a Tomtom with a custom mount that slides in the dash. The TomTom is paired with the car and supposedly won't work without it. Nevertheless, when you turn the car off, it warns you to take it out and hide it to deter would be thieves. The Model 3 (S, and X) screens just don't come out though -- not without some serious tools.

Its not really funny at all, however Catalytic converters are rigid also....and they have been disappearing for years on cars. I know for a fact that that's true.

Let me put it this way. I don't believe anyone in Elons neighborhood has ever had their catalytic converter sawed off of their car.
Catalytic converters are stolen for metal recycling. Nobody would give you jack for a monitor with no useful connector that was torn out of its mount...

There are plenty of concerns about all cars, including this one -- this isn't one of them. WHAT would they do with it? Sell it on TMC? To someone who's within warranty and has no need for one? Spent $20,000 worth of effort to turn it into a wannabe iPad? There's a greater chance they'll steal the tires and wheels, which have true value and don't involve disassembling a vehicle. I don't see too many people concerned about wheel/tire theft... Oy...