Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concern over performance of "8 years of software updates"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two 8 year old PCs running Vista that still work great. I have one six year old and two five year old iPads that are barely usable for surfing the internet. And they have been that way for a while now. Lets keep Apple far away from Tesla, please. Apple quit supporting my iPad 1 at iOS 5.1.1, less than two years after I bought it.

So you actually prefer Microsoft in the car..

:confused:

Whats the update status of v1 Teslas, btw? (V1 shoulder be Roadster, I guess).

Weird, for my classic P85, 8.0 is the fastest version I recall on my car, including the version (4.x ?) that was on that car when I took delivery. Always bugged my how laggy the Controls button was, but now it opens nearly instantly. Never seen any lag on the instrument cluster. Wonder what accounts for the difference?
Interesting because my S90D with 8.0 is still very laggy. Very noticeable when I hit the "Controls" button to get access to the "Trunk" button, or when I hit the "Homelink" button, to get access to the button to open my garage door.

Apparently your Classic's processor has less to do that my S90D.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Interesting because my S90D with 8.0 is still very laggy. Very noticeable when I hit the "Controls" button to get access to the "Trunk" button, or when I hit the "Homelink" button, to get access to the button to open my garage door.

Apparently your Classic's processor has less to do that my S90D.
Same here. 3 second delay to get the frunk open.

To be fair, I have a pre-AP early 2014 Model S. It continues to improve over time. Generally 2 steps forward and one step back (8.0 I'm looking at you!). They understandably can't add things that need hardware upgrades, etc. This is the first car I've owned that got better over time. Now, if someone could just make these sensors/CPUs easier to upgrade in the cars then we'd be all set for the future.

I have two 8 year old PCs running Vista that still work great. I have one six year old and two five year old iPads that are barely usable for surfing the internet. And they have been that way for a while now. Lets keep Apple far away from Tesla, please. Apple quit supporting my iPad 1 at iOS 5.1.1, less than two years after I bought it.
iPad 1 was a pretty unusual case. I have an iPhone 4S in regular use since 10/2011 (now in its 5th year of service), and it just got its last software update a month ago. This illustrates, unfortunately, part of the reason you should never buy first-generation Apple products. I think the point was that this is a lot longer than competitors in the wireless space, where a year, maybe two, is the norm. Google officially commits to 2 years now on its own devices, so that's an improvement.

That's a different situation from the desktop, and so it is for cars.

Though, I will say, Tesla may already be on this path. For example: my parking sensors, which I mentioned upthread. They routinely fail to work, and the SC has observed them malfunctioning in the past, but there's nothing they can do because they're discontinued. They're throwing some kind of error code they haven't seen, and they're not linked to the car's network so the codes have to be pulled from the car manually and in person. That was in 2014, less than a year after I bought the car: "Sorry, this thing you paid for doesn't work reliably and probably won't ever work reliably because we don't support it any more." They tried several times to fix them, but no luck, and it's not like I got a refund for the cost of that option or anything. Last time I asked about them they told me to check back in a year and see if there were any fixes.

I don't see that happening to anyone else, so I hope we're good. When paired with the other lack of interest in fixing "Classic" stuff, though, I'm a little concerned.

Reactions: Roger_wilco
I bought my Model S after the Firmware 8.0/8.1 announcement, and my reasonable expectation is that I will get everything in that announcement, including freeway-to-freeway transitions under navigation at 8.1. Practically, I doubt I will get that feature just because it's beyond the current sensor complement. I'd be satisfied if AP did everything it's supposed to do smoothly and reliably.

Reactions: davidc18
My example about apple was particularly for iphones . I am a samsung owner and my (premium paid) note 2 phone received only one upgrade , from 4.2 to 4.4, that's it. As @Gizmotoy indicates, Apple has a good record on this. Plus, all updates are still free (contrary to MS).

The software-driven cars may share the same fate. On the other hand, since there is not much mechanical complexity, and with help of highly optimized production, they may start to offer a complete hardware update in the future, like keep the expensive part (chassis n batteries) and replace all above parts with paying, say, half of the full car price, etc. This may bring several generations of software updates possible, in an unusual way. Otherwise , I really dont think they carry any concerns on software updates of old customers, they are a technology company, more then a car maker, and we all know what Tech. companies usually prefer.

Apple has the best record for bringing updates to every possible device they sold, I would be greatly relaxed if Tesla could let development of operating system to apple's hands.
In other scenario, we likely to survive in a samsung-like environment where firmware updates quickly forgotten, in a "New model every year" world of consumer electronics.
If such big companies expect loyalty from their customers, they should show the same to their former products, unless they are cheap-enough to replace every other year.

Apple? Man... After 15 years or so, iTunes is still a bit of a mess. I'll credit Apple with doing a pretty solid job of the hardware. But the software?

What I know is that I paid for features which Tesla degraded within six months of my purchase. Specially TACC, lane keeping, navigation and the media player.

All of those are less functional today than when I took delivery.

As said before, don't blame Tesla. Blame the idiots who decided to do all manner of idiotic things while using the system - both on and off of youtube. I very much doubt that Tesla had any choice.