TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Concern over performance of "8 years of software updates"

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Gig103, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Roger_wilco

Roger_wilco Member

So you actually prefer Microsoft in the car..

:confused:

Whats the update status of v1 Teslas, btw? (V1 shoulder be Roadster, I guess).

2. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

I'm really surprised you didn't notice yourself not dying when you had to do a screen reboot while driving.

3. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ In loving memory of Version 8

Most definitely, unless I had a two year lease.

4. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Interesting because my S90D with 8.0 is still very laggy. Very noticeable when I hit the "Controls" button to get access to the "Trunk" button, or when I hit the "Homelink" button, to get access to the button to open my garage door.

Apparently your Classic's processor has less to do that my S90D.

• Funny x 1
  5. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Same here. 3 second delay to get the frunk open.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. tliving

tliving Member

To be fair, I have a pre-AP early 2014 Model S. It continues to improve over time. Generally 2 steps forward and one step back (8.0 I'm looking at you!). They understandably can't add things that need hardware upgrades, etc. This is the first car I've owned that got better over time. Now, if someone could just make these sensors/CPUs easier to upgrade in the cars then we'd be all set for the future.

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

iPad 1 was a pretty unusual case. I have an iPhone 4S in regular use since 10/2011 (now in its 5th year of service), and it just got its last software update a month ago. This illustrates, unfortunately, part of the reason you should never buy first-generation Apple products. I think the point was that this is a lot longer than competitors in the wireless space, where a year, maybe two, is the norm. Google officially commits to 2 years now on its own devices, so that's an improvement.

That's a different situation from the desktop, and so it is for cars.

Though, I will say, Tesla may already be on this path. For example: my parking sensors, which I mentioned upthread. They routinely fail to work, and the SC has observed them malfunctioning in the past, but there's nothing they can do because they're discontinued. They're throwing some kind of error code they haven't seen, and they're not linked to the car's network so the codes have to be pulled from the car manually and in person. That was in 2014, less than a year after I bought the car: "Sorry, this thing you paid for doesn't work reliably and probably won't ever work reliably because we don't support it any more." They tried several times to fix them, but no luck, and it's not like I got a refund for the cost of that option or anything. Last time I asked about them they told me to check back in a year and see if there were any fixes.

I don't see that happening to anyone else, so I hope we're good. When paired with the other lack of interest in fixing "Classic" stuff, though, I'm a little concerned.

• Like x 1
  8. LastGas

LastGas Member

I bought my Model S after the Firmware 8.0/8.1 announcement, and my reasonable expectation is that I will get everything in that announcement, including freeway-to-freeway transitions under navigation at 8.1. Practically, I doubt I will get that feature just because it's beyond the current sensor complement. I'd be satisfied if AP did everything it's supposed to do smoothly and reliably.

• Like x 1
  9. Roger_wilco

Roger_wilco Member

My example about apple was particularly for iphones . I am a samsung owner and my (premium paid) note 2 phone received only one upgrade , from 4.2 to 4.4, that's it. As @Gizmotoy indicates, Apple has a good record on this. Plus, all updates are still free (contrary to MS).

The software-driven cars may share the same fate. On the other hand, since there is not much mechanical complexity, and with help of highly optimized production, they may start to offer a complete hardware update in the future, like keep the expensive part (chassis n batteries) and replace all above parts with paying, say, half of the full car price, etc. This may bring several generations of software updates possible, in an unusual way. Otherwise , I really dont think they carry any concerns on software updates of old customers, they are a technology company, more then a car maker, and we all know what Tech. companies usually prefer.

10. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

What I know is that I paid for features which Tesla degraded within six months of my purchase. Specially TACC, lane keeping, navigation and the media player.

All of those are less functional today than when I took delivery.

• Like x 2
  11. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

In a more perfect world Tesla would release bug fixes and security updates that are separate from updates that change the feature set of the car. We are staying on 7.1 for now.

12. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Apple? Man... After 15 years or so, iTunes is still a bit of a mess. I'll credit Apple with doing a pretty solid job of the hardware. But the software?

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  13. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

As said before, don't blame Tesla. Blame the idiots who decided to do all manner of idiotic things while using the system - both on and off of youtube. I very much doubt that Tesla had any choice.

14. Roger_wilco

Roger_wilco Member

It appears everyone is blaming maker of whatever he/she is using. Try MS. *grin*

15. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I will do the forum a favour and not take the rather obvious bit of bait dangling here in front of me. I rather suspect that the snippiness thread is overflowing with years of apple/windows/linux/vms/unix/AppleDOS 3.3/Prodos/MS-DOS/OS2/... and so on ad nausuem debates. :)

16. LastGas

LastGas Member

Sorry about my error. I should have said "automatic freeway exits under navigation," not "freeway-to-freeway."