Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerns about installing a bike rack on a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the novelty of owning a Tesla is wearing off, I'm looking at my car and wanting more functionality from it. It's still my little speed demon, but it's time to let loose a bit and give it more purpose in life.
I am wrestling with whether or not I should install my bike rack.

What I'm most worried about are 2 things.

1. Scratching of the car where the supportive wires tug the trunk frame. The metal claws are wrapped in plastic but the TM3 paint is so susceptible to the lightest fallen feather.

2. Trunk warping or loosening if I just decide to venture off on longer excursions.

Guys I'm really itching to go out riding with my boy, but my TS3 IS much more fragile than my previous Toyota Highlander. I have a 12/18 model and that back trunk piece just looks so loose and fragile as it is.

Screen+Shot+2019-06-27+at+2.00.47+PM.png

Screen+Shot+2019-06-27+at+2.00.29+PM.png

I've been using a Sea Sucker (which I learned about on these forums -- apparently it is the rack of choice for many Tesla owners). I still feel a little weird about trusting it, but i've used it several times and for the admittedly short distances I have driven it's been bulletproof -- no discernable loss of pressure, and the bike is rock solid on the mount.

I've been using a Sea Sucker (which I learned about on these forums -- apparently it is the rack of choice for many Tesla owners). I still feel a little weird about trusting it, but i've used it several times and for the admittedly short distances I have driven it's been bulletproof -- no discernable loss of pressure, and the bike is rock solid on the mount.
How many times have you used sea Sucker?
Some people reported it caused glass cracks.
I have a Sea Sucker, but never use on my M3 for that reason.

• Disagree
Reactions: pitabun
How many times have you used sea Sucker?
Some people reported it caused glass cracks.
I have a Sea Sucker, but never use on my M3 for that reason.

I've used it oh, half a dozen times? For trips of about 30 minutes at a time, mixed freeway and surface streets. I have not seen the reports of glass cracks from the Sea Sucker, but I would expect that could happen, especially if one were cornering aggressively. I do tend to drive a bit more conservatively when I've got a bike on top.

Noticed my pictures didn't go through. I took off the rack and haven't used it yet, was just experimenting!

View attachment 424551

View attachment 424552

Never. In. A. Million. Years. Not on my Model 3.

I can tell you from experience with these things historically that they put a ton of pressure on the trunk, AND more often than not end up damaging the paint.

If I needed to transport something I’d only do it via a hitch method.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I can fit two bikes in my model 3. I had to remove both front wheels and the seat from one bike.

I too have been able to do this.

I fit a Specialized Como and a medium frame mountain bike in with (a little) room to spare.

1) Used Harbor Freight larger size moving blankets at the bottom, and also between the bikes to prevent abrasion. (2 blankets)

2) Removed the flat pedals from the e-bike. Left the SPD pedals on the MTB.

3) Dropper on the mountain bike was partially dropped to help fit (not required, just easier).

4) Front wheels removed.

5) Removed battery from e bike to make it easier to handle (it is 45 pounds total or so).

6) Several towels used to protect the rear bumper cover when removing/inserting the bikes, and to put elsewhere to prevent contact of bikes and wheels with the interior and each other.

Much more efficient than a rack. Don’t think I would have been able to make it traveling 80-85mph between El Centro and Gila Bend on I-8 with the rack, if I skipped the partial Yuma Supercharger service.

1839A409-F97D-4727-9D07-D471E7AD44F7.png