Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve booked a SC appointment for this Friday. I’m expecting it to be a warranty repair - what’s people’s view?
AC7321FA-1375-40FA-AAFB-B0180F4A769B.jpeg

Attachments

• 7BC871BA-110C-497C-8144-541516E2EA1E.jpeg
    7BC871BA-110C-497C-8144-541516E2EA1E.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 37
Seems a common problem. When my rear lights were replaced for this, the SC said the replacement criteria they worked to was that any light with just misting wouldn't be replaced, any with visible water droplets would be replaced.

The Tesla view seems to be that misting is acceptable, but persistent water droplets inside aren't. FWIW, when I first reported this the SC looked at the lights and said it was "within acceptable tolerance", with both lights still misted up after a drive of nearly two hours to get to the SC. That suggests that persistent misting is OK, although I'm not convinced that the police would share that view, with regard to whether the rear lights are obscured or not.

The light change is literally a five minute job, they are very easy to remove and replace, apparently. That photo shows clear evidence of water droplets, so if Tesla are still using the same criteria then they should just replace the light.

There are other threads on this, including some discussion about DIY sealing of the welded join between the light components that may the cause of the water ingress. If mine start to mist up again, then I'm pretty sure I'm going to try sealing that join, as I'm not convinced that the cause of the problem has yet been resolved, and the new lights may be just as susceptible to leaking as the ones they replaced, perhaps.

Easily a warranty replacement.

Water droplets can clear up. I had a ranger visit, then a SC visit (lack of parts) booked for the below. By the time the SC visit came around, a good month or so later it had somehow cleared up. Tesla wouldn't replace it even though I provided numerous photos like the below.

As has been said above they will need to see it like this with their own eyes.

Luckily for you your appointment is this Friday (how??).. I can't see that clearing up between now and then.

IMG_4028.jpeg

It'd be nice if they would let you keep the old light unit. I asked, but was told they had to be sent back for investigation. Having a known to be leaky light unit to play with would allow some testing to find out how water gets in, and how best to seal it, perhaps using techniques that may not be practical in a production environment.

There is certainly a problem with rear lights as previous non Tesla cars I have had have suffered from the same problem but touch wood, even after all these downpours my car's lights are clear.

From my experience with equipment installed outdoors in steamy places like Africa etc, if air is allowed to escape when the supposedly sealed environment is heated usually by solar energy, it draws in damp air and after a few cycles the moisture inside increases.

I have seen motors and infra-red sensors full of water in situations where it is impossible for water to ingress past seals so can only imagine it is a tiny leak in the same way that double glazed windows accumulate condensation.

Last edited:
Booked an appointment on Tuesday for a similar issue and got one for Thursday in Bristol. Arrived and they replaced it with no issue in less than 30 minutes, so very pleased with the service.

Attachments

• 1B2B827F-66A1-44D2-8F6D-CC8FD3D0C9F7.jpeg
    1B2B827F-66A1-44D2-8F6D-CC8FD3D0C9F7.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 43
Seems a common problem. When my rear lights were replaced for this, the SC said the replacement criteria they worked to was that any light with just misting wouldn't be replaced, any with visible water droplets would be replaced.

The Tesla view seems to be that misting is acceptable, but persistent water droplets inside aren't. FWIW, when I first reported this the SC looked at the lights and said it was "within acceptable tolerance", with both lights still misted up after a drive of nearly two hours to get to the SC. That suggests that persistent misting is OK, although I'm not convinced that the police would share that view, with regard to whether the rear lights are obscured or not.

The light change is literally a five minute job, they are very easy to remove and replace, apparently. That photo shows clear evidence of water droplets, so if Tesla are still using the same criteria then they should just replace the light.

There are other threads on this, including some discussion about DIY sealing of the welded join between the light components that may the cause of the water ingress. If mine start to mist up again, then I'm pretty sure I'm going to try sealing that join, as I'm not convinced that the cause of the problem has yet been resolved, and the new lights may be just as susceptible to leaking as the ones they replaced, perhaps.
Has anyone had condensation problems with new replacement rear lights or do the new replacement lights solve the condensation problem completely?

No condensation seen in replacement outer lights (both sides), touch wood. Can’t comment on the inners.

Ranger told me it was a modified design, which blows apart the whole “they’re supposed to do that sir” argument.

Since having one of my outer lights replaced it's remained clear and no issues with any of the others.

However I have now discovered the boot lid fills with water, it sloshes around when I open it but will drain through the front corners with the boot open! A mobile tech has recommended removing the two small grommets on the underside to let any water out and don't refit the grommets. Apparently I'm not the only one to have experienced this ....