Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks simple enough that even muppet fingers like me can do it.. Question though If you go all the way around with the sealant and ignore where the leaks are, why not just take it out, re-seal it and put it back and not worry about the water test at all?

I'd be inclined to not bother with the leak test, and just remove the lights, dry them out, seal them up and put them back. The plastidip stuff dries pretty quickly, so the longest bit of the job is probably drying the light units out.

Yes, I think you're right, the leak test isn't really needed if you can see there's a lot of water in the assembly. Just dry it out and seal it.
The amount of water I've seen in a lot of these lights is not from moist air being sucked in, it's water drawn in by capillary action.
The Gore patch is doing a useful job as long as the light unit is properly sealed and dry, so it's a backward step to remove it and leave a gaping hole in the unit!

I think the problem we're seeing is mainly due to water droplets, either rain or condensation, sitting around the top surface of the light units, right where the leaking seams are. As mentioned above, water is pretty good at finding its way in through very tiny crevices, and I suspect it just gets drawn in from there, rather than as water vapour getting in through the Goretex patch.

The amount of water inside one of the rear lights on my car was impressive, not just a bit of misting up, there was water sitting in a puddle inside the light unit:

Yes, the faulty units seem to be sucking in actual water rather than the "acceptable" light misting that clears naturally ... I've sometimes welded some bits of plastic with an old soldering iron myself and when I look at the seams on these light units they don't look a whole lot better than my own ropey efforts!

I am sorry to say I have a brand new 2021 refresh M3LR. Came 9th December, has not been washed yet, never mind jet washed, done 415 miles. Both head lights, and both lights on the rear drivers side are full of condensation. Preheating the car and a 23 mile drive in the dark with the lights on made no difference.

These are the refresh European headlights so I guess they have not fixed the problem

Rear Drivers.jpg

Front Drivers.jpg
Front Offside.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I am sorry to say I have a brand new 2021 refresh M3LR. Came 9th December, has not been washed yet, never mind jet washed, done 415 miles. Both head lights, and both lights on the rear drivers side are full of condensation. Preheating the car and a 23 mile drive in the dark with the lights on made no difference.

These are the refresh European headlights so I guess they have not fixed the problem

View attachment 622845

View attachment 622843 View attachment 622844

Mine, new yesterday, is exactly the same. I am not sure I want to remove them and seal them.

Well, an update. I removed the right bootlid light cluster, thouroughly dried it out on a radiator for about 5 hours, until there was no visible water moisture anywhere. I then used a high quality clear silicone sealant all around the factory seal, let it dry for a further 3 hours and then refitted the unit. 4 days later, and I have condensation back in that unit!!!!

I did check for cracks, but did not do a leak test and I did put the Goretex back before I refitted the unit. That said, I find it hard to believe that the moisture is ingressing via the factory seal now that I have further sealed it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tann_man
Well, an update. I removed the right bootlid light cluster, thouroughly dried it out on a radiator for about 5 hours, until there was no visible water moisture anywhere. I then used a high quality clear silicone sealant all around the factory seal, let it dry for a further 3 hours and then refitted the unit. 4 days later, and I have condensation back in that unit!!!!

I did check for cracks, but did not do a leak test and I did put the Goretex back before I refitted the unit. That said, I find it hard to believe that the moisture is ingressing via the factory seal now that I have further sealed it.
I would do a leak test to be sure it's properly sealed. I dried and sealed both of mine and it's been over a month and zero condensation now. They were very misted up before and leaking in several places around the weld.

I’m having a ranger visit in a few days to service the light cluster on the right in the photo. The car is about 14 months old and I think the water retention is new. Other rear lights have been misty, but never standing water.

E5AC6FA3-567B-43DE-ABC0-F9F304504B8E.jpeg

FYI: people have mentioned approving high value cost estimates - I just checked and my estimate was £0.00.

Got mine booked in on 29th for the 2nd Service since having it. This time with a RANGE of issues since pickup (brake lights being one). My rear brake lights both have pretty bad misting/condensation. They attempted to tell me it was "Within" standard, I promptly told them any kind of water or misting in any light isn't a "Standard" and that sounds like your talking utter *sugar*. (Excuse the state of car just came from a 65 mile round trip in snow)

Anyways 29th they will replace it all.

20210107_142415.jpg 20210107_142428.jpg 20210107_142439.jpg 20210107_142450.jpg 20210107_142452.jpg

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
My replacements - both outer units - were foggy today, as well as both inner units (the ones on the boot lid). No droplets but it just looked crap, even after a hour and a half drive.

Beginning to wonder whether it’s not worth doing the sealing thing in that YouTube video posted earlier on all 4 units. As said above, I just don’t think the manufacturing process for these is up to scratch.

Reactions: DrivenRay