Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in tail lights verdict??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many people have this issue and do most service centers replace the tail light? Over the phone they told me it;'s "Normal" and has a hole so the moisture will always clear up... Yet my right tail light doesn't do it, so i'm unsure how it's normal when one does it and one doesn't.. It looks awful and pretty embarrassing on a brand new car. I was just curious what everyone service center said to you guys about it.
We all have the same issue. They will say its normal UNTIL YOUR WARRANTY EXPIRES!!!. Then they will say it's cracked and needs replacement. I've had so many issues with my model 3 and it's only 2 years old. So far my trunk would fill up with water to the point that I had to store my charger kit above the trunk cover. My suspension rattled like a go cart, and now my tail lights also get water in them. They hate to repair this stuff under warranty for free. Do yourself a favor and sell it while the value is still there. Go buy a EV from a more proven brand that stands behind their product. I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Tesla will eventually die. To many better options becoming available.

Pops boy: "We all have the same issue"????? Seriously? There are 23 posts in this thread, which was started 28 months ago, with maybe 10 affected vehicles. (I'm not going to read the whole thread...)

Sorry your M3 has been a problem. Better luck with your next car.

We all have the same issue. They will say its normal UNTIL YOUR WARRANTY EXPIRES!!!. Then they will say it's cracked and needs replacement.
Yup, this is exactly what happens. My Model S always had condensation in the taillight. The SC saw it several times. They repeatedly said its normal. Warranty ran out, and now the LEDs are not illuminating in the exact spot the condensation sits. "The taillights are cracked to allow moisture inside and need replaced." They can't even find the crack, but explained it must be there because that's how the moisture gets in.

After that experience, I strongly recommend anyone with condensation in the the lights to just keep taking it back until they actually fix it. They're just running out the clock to make it your problem.

Reactions: Pianewman
Question regarding the condensation, assuming the fix is for them to simply replace it, have those have had the taillights replace, receive a replacement taillights that does the same thing? I'm assuming it's some sort of a defect in production for it to occur to begin with so assuming they are pulling from the same parts inventory that might have the potential defect OR doe they do something to the replacement taillights before they install it and that's why it solves the problem during the service visit?

Question regarding the condensation, assuming the fix is for them to simply replace it, have those have had the taillights replace, receive a replacement taillights that does the same thing? I'm assuming it's some sort of a defect in production for it to occur to begin with so assuming they are pulling from the same parts inventory that might have the potential defect OR doe they do something to the replacement taillights before they install it and that's why it solves the problem during the service visit?
They replace, thus the replacement could still have a crack or develop one later. Watch the video above, this not an unusual part defect in the industry. A few minutes in the sun, then a bead of gasket/silicone and its done.

They replace, thus the replacement could still have a crack or develop one later. Watch the video above, this not an unusual part defect in the industry. A few minutes in the sun, then a bead of gasket/silicone and its done.
Nice, just wanted to know what to look for. I got the regular, within spec response when I took the car in after delivery. Said that unless there's significant amount of water pooling in there, it's within spec. Going to try again soon.

We all have the same issue. They will say its normal UNTIL YOUR WARRANTY EXPIRES!!!. Then they will say it's cracked and needs replacement. I've had so many issues with my model 3 and it's only 2 years old. So far my trunk would fill up with water to the point that I had to store my charger kit above the trunk cover. My suspension rattled like a go cart, and now my tail lights also get water in them. They hate to repair this stuff under warranty for free. Do yourself a favor and sell it while the value is still there. Go buy a EV from a more proven brand that stands behind their product. I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Tesla will eventually die. To many better options becoming available.
Condensation rear lights and paying $400 to replace tail light on my 2016 model S

tesla is bsing me saying this is normal and won’t replace my taillight
175FAC69-C3C0-4961-ACD3-104F352E7BD8.jpeg

Got my rear right tailight replaced via mobile service. It wasn't just condensation, looking like it was somewhat chipped internally. Weird and they never saw it. First SA said it was within spec and keep an eye on it. When I had a mobile repair guy at the house for another issue, I had him review and get his feedback and that's when he opened the ticket for me.

Point is, try another SA if you get declined.

Reactions: Pianewman
The moisture also happened on my 2018 Tesla model X (both taillights) usually after washing the vehicle. I think this moisture is caused by a thin or aging foam gasket between the taillight and the metal body of the car. Gravity pulls water down the vehicle and the water may seeps through any small gap in the top of the gasket - then the water shows up as condensation inside the taillight. The fix is to keep the water out of the taillight. Luckily there is an inexpensive fix. I have fixed this issue on another vehicle by applying an almost invisible bead of crystal clear silicon caulk (available from a hardware store like ACE, Home Depot or Lowes) along the top edge of the taillight to keep water from seeping past the gasket. Try this technique and see if it helps! and please let everyone know your findings...