Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo ChargePoint charging costs are the same as ICE gas cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - have been happily driving my MS for a few weeks now and wanted to share the realities for those who don’t have access to home charging. I live in a condo so I utilize chargepoint stations available to me in my building as well as the Tesla supercharger network where I can.

I have found EV costs to be higher than ICE on a weekly basis.

FA6427B4-A85C-41A6-8D34-F55E852DB624.png

For comparison I came from an ICE sesan which gave me 35 mpg on my daily commute of 100 miles. At $4/gallon that’s only $11.43 in gas.

In 1 week, I will spend ~$75 on chargepoint alone.

Just a word of caution for those that don’t have access to cheap charging solutions!

YMMV

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: GSP and P85_DA
Hi all - have been happily driving my MS for a few weeks now and wanted to share the realities for those who don’t have access to home charging. I live in a condo so I utilize chargepoint stations available to me in my building as well as the Tesla supercharger network where I can.

View attachment 335867

For comparison I came from an ICE sesan which gave me 35 mpg on my daily commute of 100 miles. At $4/gallon that’s only $11.43 in gas.

Just a word of caution for those that don’t have access to cheap charging solutions!

YMMV

OMG they are reaming you for the juice. SO sorry. Just not right.

Not exactly your point, but then imagine you had a non Tesla car and relied 100% on the public network... and wanted to do the odd road trip. Hmmmmmm.... I think a lot of public charging is going to match the price of petrol because those that provide it will model it this way I guess.

Still recon the Super Charger network is the next best thing to landing a man on Mars :) Hence I chuckle when the media get their panties in a wad about stuff... “ahhh, ooooooh, Elon said he would build 5000/week and he’s a few months late, we have to panic, the company is in free fall and will go bankrupt!”. Good Lord spare me.

My pills are here somewhere, let me find them...

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and Beardco

View attachment 335867

YMMV

There are dozens in LA. Not sure what level of charging you are doing at Olympic blvd. Level 2 charging is 3 cents a minute. That would be 6 to 7 cents per mile charging at about 27 miles per hour, which is less than half of what you are paying. If you get a chademo adapter, you can charge faster. I don’t know what your times on chart are. Is that charging time? If you are parking plugged in overnight, you may be paying for a bunch of connected minutes when car is not even charging. Gotta pay attention to rate structure. You are somehow paying 2 to 3x above market.

Best solution of all: talk your condo board into letting you put in a charger. It is a great amenity, there are a ton of threads about how to convince associations.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and cwerdna

YMMV

Your data indicates that you really need to think twice about your charging process. Plugging in and sitting on a charger that charges per hour is far from an optimal solution. Look at the last 3 days, the day with the least miles are the most expensive.
You are charging at a site that is $1 per hour for 4 hours, then $3 hour afterwards. You can probably get the 100 miles in less than 4 hours. Unplugging at lunch would definitely help, plus since it doesn't look that you really need it, unplugging at lunch would let others use the spot. Having a car plugged in, not charging, is just as bad as the spot being ICE'd and it's also why ChargePoint dramatically raises their price after 4 hours. You should be getting pinged when charging is complete.

If you were to unplug at lunch and/or swap out with supercharging once or twice a week, then your costs will plummet.

I would check some of your data (or maybe it is me that is reading it wrong) 40 minutes at $2.33 seems to be higher than it is supposed to be. And 8:42 hours seems lower than what it supposed to be.

So ,yes, ChargePoint isn't cheap. And yes, you have the opportunity to slash your costs and be a considerate public charger.

At 100 miles per day, you are using about 25kWHs. Those ChargePoint plugs seem to support 6.6 kW, which means that you should be able to top off in 3.8 hours and therefore cost $4/day.
If you paid for supercharger, then you would pat $0.26 per kWH or $6.50 per day.

So, it is indeed possible to pay less than 1/3 the cost of your ICE.

Probably should update your title, since it says cost is the same but your post says it's higher.

But probably should really update it per some of the comments from other folks - your choice of where you get kWh can make charging cost more than gas. Should be no surprise...??? But good to let folks know to be careful.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Looks like you live at the Ritz Carlton Residences in downtown LA? By far, some of the worst chargers are nearby and on premise around LA Live. Not sure you have an alternative without making it inconvenient. A new station is supposedly being opened in downtown, but I can't imagine it being all that convenient either given the density in downtown alone. An EV just might've not been the right choice giving the living situation?

Good luck

It's not even ChargePoint's fault. The person owning the station is setting the prices, not ChargePoint. I remember looking at a condo a while ago and they have a ChargePoint station installed. The property owner set the price at 34 ct kWh. Once I found that out, I didn't even look at the place. Nope!

+1. I've spent many many hours charging on "ChargePoint" stations that are completely free. Property owners set the rates.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and cwerdna
Thanks all for the advice. Agree that I've discovered that Chargepoint is. Expensive. Unfortunately there are no other convenient solutions aside from introducing other alternative charging routines (ie. supercharging or other destination chargers) into my daily life. Thanks for the advice on the pricing structure of chargepoint. Reading @ewoodrick and @tomas posts had led me to understand there is something definitely wrong with the pricing of this chargepoint station. All times on this are the 'car plugged in charging' time. I don't think I've been charged for any 'car plugged in but not charging' time. Yet.