Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirm PUP $5000 refund thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally received confirmation from Tesla that they will send me a check in 8 weeks. This took 4-5x emails and 3-4x phone calls and what finally did the trick was checking the "Escalate for Executive Review" box on the website. I really didn't want to check that box (figure its for REAL problems) but alas they made me do it and apparently it worked - took less than 1 business day from sending an email to execs until i got a response.

Here's the answer to refund checks anytime soon.

2oof6s.jpg

I know we like to think of it as such - but no one in their right mind except for maybe Costco that makes it up on consumables offers pricing adjustments.

I’m not sure who you include with “we?”

so for the record,
the CEO repriced the PUP package,
and decided to REFUND the difference,
to those who had purchased days earlier!

I pity those who don’t understand what has happened.
COSTCO offer price matching? refund?
I’m not familiar with their terms?

in this case the word REFUND is appropriate.

Reactions: PA ZU
I used to do this at all major electronics stores. Back before news of pending releases was online, a manufacturer would inevitably release something new within a few days of me buying the older version or there'd be a price drop.

Depending on the terms I was able to exchange it for the new product or get the discounted price.

Anyone remember this commercial from the 90's

* granted they went out of business, but this is not the cause of that.

Napkin math of 28,000 cars * ASP of 70,000 (across all lines)

is

1,960,000,000 in gross revenue for Tesla in the month of December.

Even if 10,000 3P+ owners applied for $5,000 that would be only $5,000,000. Issue is anyone messing around with service, accounting, refunds, etc would be out delivering cars.

It's simply not a priority.

Napkin math of 28,000 cars * ASP of 70,000 (across all lines)

is

1,960,000,000 in gross revenue for Tesla in the month of December.

Even if 10,000 3P+ owners applied for $5,000 that would be only $5,000,000. Issue is anyone messing around with service, accounting, refunds, etc would be out delivering cars.

It's simply not a priority.
I agree it's not a priority but adding 10k credits to customer accounts in your GL system, and then having your vendor print out and mail 10k checks would take at most 2 hours from a business analyst and 1 day from the print company. I work in systems like this and doing that exact thing (for a much much smaller company) is super easy to do.

I have a question that I haven't seen addressed or if it was I must have missed it. If someone bought a P3D+ today with a referral code they would get 6 months of free supercharging. I bought my P3D+ with a referral code back in September, so if I get the $5K refund I understand taking away the unlimited supercharging, but shouldn't I still get the 6 months of free supercharging?

I also think it would be "nice" (no requirement for Tesla to do so) if they offered refund tiers for example:

Full $5000 refund (but you get 6 months free supercharging if you used a referral code initially)
Partial $2500 refund (but you get to keep unlimited supercharging)
No Refund (but you get dinner with Elon or some other swag - winter wheels and tires? etc. :) )

I know it has been covered before that the supercharging benefit alone is not worth $5k and has been sold in the past for around $2-$3k depending upon how the benefit was structured.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
I agree it's not a priority but adding 10k credits to customer accounts in your GL system, and then having your vendor print out and mail 10k checks would take at most 2 hours from a business analyst and 1 day from the print company. I work in systems like this and doing that exact thing (for a much much smaller company) is super easy to do.

How Tesla is the 3rd most valuable automobile company by market capitalization keeps me up at night.

I've seen lemonade stands more organized than Tesla.

Reactions: kbecks13
How Tesla is the 3rd most valuable automobile company by market capitalization keeps me up at night.

I've seen lemonade stands more organized than Tesla.
I believe it's just the nature of the organization, top down from Musk. He is clearly a brilliant problem solver and idea guy. I have to assume he isn't one to worry about day in and day out issues. They will need to adjust that somewhat as they truly break into the mass market. Or at least I hope they do.