Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirm PUP $5000 refund thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this email today.

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 7.05.26 PM.png

Got this today.

I had received your email in regards to receiving the 5,000.00 back in exchange with free lifetime supercharging i would like to let you know that i have looked through this and let you know that i have sent this off to the appropriate department who will be reaching out to you soon in regards to this. if you have any other questions or concerns please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Mine was worded-

Apologies for the delay in response. Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Support regarding your $5K refund for performance upgrade. I am happy to forward your request onto our specialty team working on these refunds for review. They will reach out to you soon.
Thank you for being part of the Tesla family.

1st email sent on 11/1 or so, 2nd email sent on 11/9. No responses.
Called a week later and was told that nobody knew about the refund process, but there is a list of people that are requesting it. I don't know why it's so friggin hard to send an email response that says "yeah, we will give you your refund, sit tight".

got this on 11/13 after email escalation + phone call...

Thank you for the confirmation. I have submitted the
refund for $5,000 and the removal of your Free,
Unlimited Supercharging. The check will be mailed
to your physical address on file within the next 4 weeks.

no check as of 11/27

Wait. I thought your brother-in-law bought the Model 3 for FUSC! :D
He did at first not want to consider giving it up, later he came to me and asked again "how many miles do I have to supercharge to break even?" seems he came to his senses, he has a total of 200 miles on the car after weeks of ownership, its his 4th car!, I asked if he was going to drive it or put it in a museum!

I received the same Free Supercharging OR $5000 refund today. Since I placed my $2500 payment and actual order prior to 7/1/18 (4/1/16 reservation), my understanding is that the free supercharging was separate. Now that the base cost of the PUP has gone down by $5000, why would they try to pull supercharging away with the refund?? Really not happy with this!

I received the same Free Supercharging OR $5000 refund today. Since I placed my $2500 payment and actual order prior to 7/1/18 (4/1/16 reservation), my understanding is that the free supercharging was separate. Now that the base cost of the PUP has gone down by $5000, why would they try to pull supercharging away with the refund?? Really not happy with this!
I think its a can't have your cake and eat it to thing, seems fair to me as it would take approx. 40k miles of just supercharging to get to the break even point.

I have approx. 14,300 miles on my LR RWD 3 since the end of April when I took delivery, in that time I have Supercharged 770 kWh at 21 stops for a grand total of $200.20 so 25 times that is over 19,000 kWh
I probably really only got about 2500 to 2600 miles real world range out of my supercharging so with the performance maybe break even is 40k miles of supercharging or less?

Last edited:
I'm fine with it. We received an incentive for buying at a certain date, other guys have a difference incentive. I can fully appreciate the logic of not allowing us to double dip.