Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

confuse and is it worth it Enchanced vs basic auto pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basic AP navigates on the highway. EAS has Navigate on Autopilot, so it allows the car to change lanes, go from one highway exit ramp to the next highway entrance ramp, etc, automatically. As far as highway driving those are the biggest differences.

If you change lanes with basic autopilot you need to engage it again.

If you change lanes with enhanced autopilot, you just engage the turn signal and the car will change lanes for you when it finds it safe to do so. It can also change lanes on its own, if you prefer, to go around slower vehicles.

In my opinion it’s a very expensive option for what it gives you - and it makes my highway driving much, much nicer. If I was on a tight budget I would have skipped it, but I’m very glad to have it.

Mapman

Enhanced Auto Pilot has basic but the the best features of FSD. Navigation on the highway, automatic passing among other things

At $6K USD I still think the price is too high. If I could get it as a subscription at half the price of the FSD sub I would jump on it for those times when I made a road trip.

Hi All

Thinking to get Either Basic Autopilot or Enchanced Autopilot

I have model 3 2018 Long Range

The only question i have

IS BASIC Autopilot can NAVIGATE (on Fwy) or only Enchanced Autopilot that can navigate?

thank you so much
EAP navigates on freeway. Base AP is a combo of Adaptive Cruise, Lane-Keep and AutoSteer.

I have EAP, and I like it, but I don't find it to be worth so much more than Base AP. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Basic AP navigates on the highway. EAS has Navigate on Autopilot, so it allows the car to change lanes, go from one highway exit ramp to the next highway entrance ramp, etc, automatically. As far as highway driving those are the biggest differences.
so in other word If I don’t trust the auto lane change, better just get the basic autopilot right? Since right now my car on cruise control DOES NOT have distance or auto steer lane. so basically keep going same speed whether there is or not car in front (without slowing down)

so in other word If I don’t trust the auto lane change, better just get the basic autopilot right? Since right now my car on cruise control DOES NOT have distance or auto steer lane. so basically keep going same speed whether there is or not car in front (without slowing down)
There are two types of Auto Lane Change. The first is initiated by you when you use Autosteer. The second is initiated by Navigate on Autopilot, though you can configure those to require confirmation. The second type is the one you might not trust. You don’t get either type with basic AP.

If I would have to start the blinker I might as well move the car. The only advantage to EAP for me would be the auto lane change feature. Expensive for that one feature if I never use summon.
The only good news is if I but it I could do the monthly full FSD for 99

If I would have to start the blinker I might as well move the car. The only advantage to EAP for me would be the auto lane change feature. Expensive for that one feature if I never use summon.
The only good news is if I but it I could do the monthly full FSD for 99
When using Autosteer with basic AP, changing lanes manually disengages Autosteer (but not TACC), so you have to re-engage Autosteer afterwards. With EAP or FSD, when you initiate a lane change using the turn signal, and the car automatically changes lanes and Autosteer remains engaged. So it’s not that changing lanes manually is a big deal, but having to re-engage Autosteer after each change is kind of a pain. My cars have FSD, but I’ve rented cars with basic AP and miss the Auto Lane Change feature when I don’t have it.