Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused amperage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am visiting family and charging with my Gen-1 charger. Car indicates 32 amps available but breaker box clearly is a 30-amp circuit = 24 amps available. Can anyone speculate on why this is happening?

The UMC does not sense anything about the circuit. It determines amps available based on the plug used - and assumes the max available. So if using the 14-50 it would show 40amps available. What plug are you using?

Are you sure it is a gen-1? I can't think of any scenario where a gen-1 would show 32a available for a Model X. Gen-2 would since that is the max the gen-2 can provide.

Edit: maybe it Canada the limits are different. 80% in the US.

Reactions: jerry33
I am visiting family and charging with my Gen-1 charger. Car indicates 32 amps available but breaker box clearly is a 30-amp circuit = 24 amps available. Can anyone speculate on why this is happening?

Did it trip the breaker ? To be safe would just manually dial down to 24a in the car

It"s as Tes-S says. The plug end you install sets the amps. Manually turn down the amps to 24 for a 30 amp circuit. My question would be why that plug is only on a 30 amp circuit. That should be a code violation.

It"s as Tes-S says. The plug end you install sets the amps. Manually turn down the amps to 24 for a 30 amp circuit. My question would be why that plug is only on a 30 amp circuit. That should be a code violation.

I do not see a code violation having a 50-amp outlet installed, using a 30 amp breaker. Now if you had a 30-amp outlet, fed with a 50 amp breaker, that is an entirely different (dangerous) wicket. But you are correct, the adapter on the end of the UMC cord sets the rate. If I jury-rig adapters/cables to connect to a 30 amp dryer outlet, I end up with the 40-amp max adapter on the end of the UMC cord. I have to manually dial it down to 24 amps from inside the car. That dialed back setting is sticky, based upon GPS coordinates. If I return to that location, I should not have to set it again.

• Disagree
Reactions: posity
I do not see a code violation having a 50-amp outlet installed, using a 30 amp breaker. Now if you had a 30-amp outlet, fed with a 50 amp breaker, that is an entirely different (dangerous) wicket. But you are correct, the adapter on the end of the UMC cord sets the rate. If I jury-rig adapters/cables to connect to a 30 amp dryer outlet, I end up with the 40-amp max adapter on the end of the UMC cord. I have to manually dial it down to 24 amps from inside the car. That dialed back setting is sticky, based upon GPS coordinates. If I return to that location, I should not have to set it again.
No, that wouldn't be a violation, I misread.

You shouldn't have to set it again, but you do have to check it because I've had a number of instances where it's jumped back up to 40 amps from the 33 amps I set mine at. (Not so many recently, most have been in the past, but I can't say that it's 100%. Gen 1 UMC.)

Hold up there. It's definitely a code violation to have a 50A receptacle on a 30A circuit. Part of the point of the rules is to not mislead people into doing something wrong.
No, it actually isn't. It is weird and unwise, but the code does not disallow that. It says that the breaker must be no higher than the rating of the outlet type, but it doesn't restrict it being lower, even weirdly lower, like a 20A or 30A breaker with a 50A outlet type. It may cause nuisance trips, and it's kind of lazy or sloppy, but not actually forbidden.

Although it says on those chains of 120V convenience outlets if they are on a 20A circuit, it is allowable to put in a mix of either the 5-15 or 5-20 outlet types. But that's the only time the breaker is allowed to be higher.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: posity and P85_DA
No, it actually isn't. It is weird and unwise, but the code does not disallow that. It says that the breaker must be no higher than the rating of the outlet type, but it doesn't restrict it being lower, even weirdly lower, like a 20A or 30A breaker with a 50A outlet type. It may cause nuisance trips, and it's kind of lazy or sloppy, but not actually forbidden.
Well, I see someone marked it as "disagree". I guess that's fair since I'm just some guy's opinion on the internet until I quote the section of the National Electric Code that confirms it:
Multiwire Branch Electrical Circuits and Split-Wired Receptacles - Electrical Wiring Safety Requirements

The specific section is 210.21(B)(1)
"A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit."

Notice that is a one way restriction. The outlet type cannot be lower than the breaker. Section 210.21(B)(3) from that same page is about when you have multiple receptacles on a branch circuit, and then they do have a table about requiring the outlet type to match the circuit rating. But for single outlet on a circuit, that does not apply.

Now it should not ever have nuisance trips, because of section 210.23:
"210.23 Permissible Loads. In no case shall the load exceed the branch-circuit ampere rating. An individual branch circuit shall be permitted to supply any load for which it is rated. A branch circuit supplying two or more outlets or receptacles shall supply only the loads specified according to its size as specified in 210.23(A) through (D) and as summarized in 210.24 and Table 210.24."

The rating of the circuit, which is defined by the breaker, does need to supply the load that will be connected to it. There are smaller load devices (such as some J1772 charging devices) that will have a load of like 16A or less, but they have plugs on them that fit outlet types like 6-30 or 14-50. That would be allowed to use something like a 14-50 outlet type for it, but use the 20A breaker to match the intended 16A load.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
The UMC does not sense anything about the circuit. It determines amps available based on the plug used - and assumes the max available. So if using the 14-50 it would show 40amps available. What plug are you using?

Are you sure it is a gen-1? I can't think of any scenario where a gen-1 would show 32a available for a Model X. Gen-2 would since that is the max the gen-2 can provide.

Edit: maybe it Canada the limits are different. 80% in the US.
Gen 1 Canadian 14-50 adapters have a different resistor in them than US 14-50's, which accounts for the 32A vs 40A thing - how does charger not blow circuit breaker?

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H