Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused - Auto Pilot Mad Max Mode not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, when you have a route in the nav and are on a highway, it will go into navigate on autopilot automatically when you double click the right stalk. You don't have to click on 'navigate on autopilot' on the touch screen (in fact, doing that will turn it off).
Ok to be honest, this could be my root problem right here. In my settings I do have it turned on to start at every trip. I will test this tomorrow. Thank you!

Ok interesting this is good to know, does the car have a set speed when it knows to switch? Say the car is doing 10-15 under the set speed, does it start looking to switch? Or it has to see a car pass it on the left to want to switch over?

It evaluates your set speed, the speed of the car in front of you, and the speed of traffic in the lanes next to you. Based on that, and your aggression setting, it seems to determine whether or not to switch. It also takes into consideration upcoming lane changes to maintain your route (such as taking an exit ramp). I've had it slow down in order to switch into the right lane for an upcoming exit.

I pick up my LR MS yesterday. For months I’ve watched countless videos, read as many articles, been in as many forums. All out the window having the car now 😂. Expert to seemingly forgetting everything. Had auto nav on. Highway to house. Single blue. Auto navigation. Setting to auto lane change without confirmation. I did have vibrate and chime notification on. Not many cars around. Not on mad max. All settings done while in park in garage earlier in the day. Car would signal it was changing lanes but wouldn’t until I nudged the wheel in that direction. As an aside, if I pressed down on the right or left signal, the car would auto change lanes.So all that’s fine. It just wouldn’t change on its own is all. Even when it thought it wanted to and started signaling it was going to.
Thoughts? Thanks 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hey, so I just picked up my Model 3P last wednesday and have FSD and went to go enable Mad Max mode to see the auto lane change. Unless im doing something wrong, it hasnt auto switched lanes yet. I make sure I have an address in the navigation as well as Navigate On Auto-Pilot engaged as well. If I set the speed to 75 and the right lane is wide open and im in the middle, and the person in front of me is doing 60, It could easily pass them but it just stays behind them.

Below are my auto pilot settings, maybe im missing something?

If someone could figure this out id be very surprised lol.

Current version of car is 2021.3.106.5 (Havent had any updates since pickup)
View attachment 706038View attachment 706039
You have an old version of software. The same one I have and I have had my car for a little over a month now. If you search for threads on the subject it seems it can take some time to receive that first update.

I'm not saying that is the problem. Just maybe.

I pick up my LR MS yesterday. For months I’ve watched countless videos, read as many articles, been in as many forums. All out the window having the car now 😂. Expert to seemingly forgetting everything. Had auto nav on. Highway to house. Single blue. Auto navigation. Setting to auto lane change without confirmation. I did have vibrate and chime notification on. Not many cars around. Not on mad max. All settings done while in park in garage earlier in the day. Car would signal it was changing lanes but wouldn’t until I nudged the wheel in that direction. As an aside, if I pressed down on the right or left signal, the car would auto change lanes.So all that’s fine. It just wouldn’t change on its own is all. Even when it thought it wanted to and started signaling it was going to.
Thoughts? Thanks 🤷🏻‍♂️
As far as I know, the lane change requires driver confirmation in the form of a wheel tug or blinker press. I don't think the car will switch lanes without you acknowledging it first. I've found for long trips its best to just rest your hand on the wheel.

As far as I know, the lane change requires driver confirmation in the form of a wheel tug or blinker press. I don't think the car will switch lanes without you acknowledging it first. I've found for long trips its best to just rest your hand on the wheel.
You can enable lane change without confirmation or with. Providing you have FSD and not AP
You can also disable or enable chime and or steering wheel vibration when the car about to change lanes

Last edited:
Thoughts? Thanks 🤷🏻‍♂️
Any slow cars in front of you
How long did you leave it while it was indicating a lane change before nudging the wheel
Any cars around you when it was trying to change lanes, it tends to be very cautious
If there is you might find it indicating and not changing lanes waiting for the distance between
itself and the other car to increase to what it considers a safe margin

Did you get a vibration/chime notification that the car was going to change lanes

Might be you didn't have enough weight on the steering, wheel did you get any blue flashes
across the top of the screen asking you to take hold of the steering wheel

It's supposed to which is why when you turn on change without approval or whatever it says, a warning pops up. There are videos on line with the car changing lanes unassisted.
Any slow cars in front of you
How long did you leave it while it was indicating a lane change before nudging the wheel
Any cars around you when it was trying to change lanes, it tends to be very cautious
If there is you might find it indicating and not changing lanes waiting for the distance between
itself and the other car to increase to what it considers a safe margin

Did you get a vibration/chime notification that the car was going to change lanes

Might be you didn't have enough weight on the steering, wheel did you get any blue flashes
across the top of the screen asking you to take hold of the steering wheel
hey this is great. Lots to unpack here. You know what? I think I need to maybe give it a few more seconds. Next time, I’ll be more patient and see if it eventually changes lane. I think it did once. Can’t remember. Of all the things above, that might be the one. If so, it’s super slow lol. Thanks for a thoughtful response.

Last edited: