Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused between rear wheel vs long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't buy an LR AWD thinking you're going to really power out of turns like an STI or Evo or something of that nature. Mechanically the AWD Model 3's could but the traction control won't let you until the steering wheel is pretty much straight. That's my experience across a couple models (LR AWD, LR RWD, and P outside of Track Mode).

It's kind of a weird experience. For example if there's a two lane 180° ramp the stability control usually gives enough leeway to pass someone on the outside lane, but then you get to the end of the ramp and try to stomp on it early for the merge...and the car barely trundles along. Like a tiny gas engine that's out of breath. Get the wheel straight and suddenly the power is back.

When the steering wheel is straight, after you've exited the turn, then the LR AWD can really put its power down and use all that traction. If someone here has a Model 3 (any kind, AWD or RWD) that lets them really power out of a turn without using Track Mode, I'm interested to hear, as that's not been my experience nor that of a friend with an older Model 3.
Never had this issue with LR boost. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Instant power on demand regardless of steering angle. I hit the pedal just coming out of a turn or even partiall mid to exiting and bam…flies..

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
how did you upgrade from RWD to LR for $4500? One is $47,000 and the other is $57,000...?
Well I added white interior for $1k and the enhanced auto pilot for $6k in the RWD one, which brought it to $54,000. So then I thought why not put another $5k to get the LR. Also I removed the enhanced autopilot in the LR one and got the subscription option instead. I know my logic in this situation is very interesting :)

Reactions: ODWms and tm1v2
Well I added white interior for $1k and the enhanced auto pilot for $6k in the RWD one, which brought it to $54,000. So then I thought why not put another $5k to get the LR. Also I removed the enhanced autopilot in the LR one and got the subscription option instead. I know my logic in this situation is very interesting :)
okay that makes more sense. I was about to call my SA and see how to get the $5,500 discount applied to my LR

It all depends on your use and way of charging. I bought a 2020 SR+ and I added the 20” performance wheels and spoiler, and the harness to activate the additional oem speakers. I use the Model 3 for commute and road trips here and there and have not had an issue charging or range and that is with me charging at 80% weekly and 95-98% on long trips. I charge at home for the most part and SC or third party DC charding when needed. I am in SoCal so the awd for the snow is not an issue for me and I have a 4x4 truck for the winter offroad trips to the mountains/snow. If you want rear heated seats seats you can have them activated for a couple hundred and can be done using the app.

Hi everyone, I am currently in a dilemma. I am currently waiting for my 2022 model 3 rear wheel drive to arrive this week on Friday. Now I just saw some new model 3 long range models in the current inventory on the website for around $58-61k. I would have to pay at least 10k or more before taxes if I get the long range model. Should I just stick with my current order? I do mostly city driving and sometimes road trips. Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated.
You'll be happy with the Long Range option.