Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused between rear wheel vs long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I am currently in a dilemma. I am currently waiting for my 2022 model 3 rear wheel drive to arrive this week on Friday. Now I just saw some new model 3 long range models in the current inventory on the website for around $58-61k. I would have to pay at least 10k or more before taxes if I get the long range model. Should I just stick with my current order? I do mostly city driving and sometimes road trips. Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated.

• Disagree
Reactions: 73Bruin
As most have said and will say, you're the one to answer best as you know your budget. I have an SR+ (previous to your 22 M3 you have on order). Having known what I know now about EVs and Teslas the LR would be the way I would go. The 10K would be worth it to me. I would like the extra range, power and AWD. The newer 22s range doesn't degrade as the SR+ that I have or the LRs due to the different battery, so that is something to think about too. If you don't need more power, AWD, additional range, and like having 10k extra in your pocket, then stick with what you ordered. Either is a great car.

Hi everyone, I am currently in a dilemma. I am currently waiting for my 2022 model 3 rear wheel drive to arrive this week on Friday. Now I just saw some new model 3 long range models in the current inventory on the website for around $58-61k. I would have to pay at least 10k or more before taxes if I get the long range model. Should I just stick with my current order? I do mostly city driving and sometimes road trips. Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated.
If you have money, pay for the long range. It's well worth the extra cost.

If your budget is tight, skip the long range.

Reactions: DrGriz and XPsionic
there's literally another thread asking the same thing here

I do mostly city driving and sometimes road trips.
For city driving in good weather, there won't be much difference, unless you engage in urban drag races or something. The AWD will obviously have advantages in snow; and if you drive a lot locally, or if you can't charge every day, the extra range might be handy.

For road trips, either will probably be OK, but it depends on your road trip style. You might want to try using A Better Routeplanner to plan some virtual road trips in both cars to see if the difference in charging time or number of charging stops would be important to you. Remember to factor in your own needs -- if you'd normally stop for, say, 2 hours on a road trip (to eat, use the bathroom, etc.) and the SR RWD would require 1.5 hours of stopping time and the LR AWD would require 1 hour of stopping time, then your stopping time will be 2 hours either way. OTOH, if you'd normally stop for 1 hour on such a road trip, then the LR AWD will save you 0.5 hour per trip. Whether that's worth $10k is for you to decide.

Reactions: XPsionic
We have another car that is all wheel and I live in California so not much need for all drive drive. I know the long range has a better audio system as well and is a little faster 0-60.
It has much better handling, way better 0-60, range will degrade but will be more than adequate even after 4-5 yrs, sound system is fantastic, heated rear seats…

I’ve owned an SR+ And now an LR with accel boost. We’re talking 0-60 from the 5.8 sec range to 3.6…that’s not even in the same category of speed and Perf feel. The LR to me is 10x the excitement to drive. Not that the SR+ is a slouch! It’s just goes from fast to ridiculously fast and handles corners with more grip.

But truly depends what you value 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: DocHolliday
Thank you everyone for the suggestions/information. Last question, is it too late to change my custom order to an existing inventory order since I paid the down payment and delivery is on this Friday? Also should I reserve another order for the existing long range model? I have texted the service advisor and now awaiting their reply.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions/information. Last question, is it too late to change my custom order to an existing inventory order since I paid the down payment and delivery is on this Friday? Also should I reserve another order for the existing long range model? I have texted the service advisor and now awaiting their reply.
It's never late as long as the sales advisor would handle the switch for you. Again, you shouldn't do the switch on your own because the website doesn't allow you to transfer your funds from the existing order to a new order.

Reactions: tm1v2
It has much better handling, way better 0-60, range will degrade but will be more than adequate even after 4-5 yrs, sound system is fantastic, heated rear seats…

I’ve owned an SR+ And now an LR with accel boost. We’re talking 0-60 from the 5.8 sec range to 3.6…that’s not even in the same category of speed and Perf feel. The LR to me is 10x the excitement to drive. Not that the SR+ is a slouch! It’s just goes from fast to ridiculously fast and handles corners with more grip.

But truly depends what you value 🤷🏽‍♂️
FYI the 2022 Model 3 RWD also has the heated rear seats activated.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I would also recommend an in-person visit to get the changes made. Their text service is nice but sometimes feels like the person on the other side has too much on their plate to take much time on each individual. You can probably have it done faster and more reliably in person.

As for SR vs LR, the choice is dependent 100% on your wants and needs. You already have an AWD vehicle if you need one so unless you want the Tesla to be faster and hold importance to the upgraded sound system or can benefit from the additional range just stick with the SR.

Reactions: XPsionic
I would also recommend an in-person visit to get the changes made. Their text service is nice but sometimes feels like the person on the other side has too much on their plate to take much time on each individual. You can probably have it done faster and more reliably in person.

As for SR vs LR, the choice is dependent 100% on your wants and needs. You already have an AWD vehicle if you need one so unless you want the Tesla to be faster and hold importance to the upgraded sound system or can benefit from the additional range just stick with the SR.
You can also install a rear amp, additional speakers/10” sub if you wish for around $1500. I did so in my SR+ and it sounded almost the same as the LR and with even better bass response. 🤷🏽‍♂️

You can also install a rear amp, additional speakers/10” sub if you wish for around $1500. I did so in my SR+ and it sounded almost the same as the LR and with even better bass response. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Very true. Though not everyone likes custom work for multiple reasons.

That $10k upgrade suddenly becomes smaller if you talk about adding in $1500 in speakers, plus time. And you still don't get the main LR benefits.

Very true. Though not everyone likes custom work for multiple reasons.

That $10k upgrade suddenly becomes smaller if you talk about adding in $1500 in speakers, plus time. And you still don't get the main LR benefits.
The custom sound mentioned actually just brings the SR+ system upto to LR/Perf category lol. Even the sub fits exactly where the LR is…hidden, and the 2 speakers in the A pillar which are already there physically just get turned on. One sees nothing different. Plug and play and it just sounds like the same upgraded audio 🤷🏽‍♂️

I only mentioned as a way to not have to spend 10k but still achieve some aspect of the LR. :) As the OP mentioned he has an AWD car, and perhaps that’s not worth paying for for him?

Anyway just a thought! As mentioned I adore the LR imo :)