Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connected Solutions Real-World Experiences (MA - National Grid / EverSource)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone

I was hoping that folks in Massachusetts could share their real-world experiences with Connected Solutions so far this year.

Asking because my mom lives in SE MA and has EverSource - her experience so far this year has been a bit disappointing. She's had overwhelming 3-hr events (18/20) with EverSource calling events almost every weekday for the last 3 weeks even when it was cool weather and/or cloudy out. This has resulted in only a 6.6 average kW discharge for the season which is a good deal lower than the relatively conservative estimates I'd made. Perhaps my estimates were too optimistic but also perhaps it has something to do with my estimates being based on National Grid events, as opposed to EverSource. Of course, they were also based on last summer so there's that possibility too.

So... could anyone share how their events are so far this year? I live in Bellingham and have National Grid - anyone out this way? I ask predominantly because I was counting on CS as a major offset to the cost of the PWs and this is weakening that offset.

Many thanks in advance!

National Grid here. I’ve had one event is August so far, yesterday, and had nine in July.

I’ve heard from other National Grid Connected Solutions customers and some of them have had a few more events so there is some regionality to the VPP. They are closer to metro areas and we are more rural so that along with the part of the grid we are on may play a roll.

National Grid and Tesla have told us that we could expect during the hottest parts of the summer events almost every day. But we have not seen that or anything near the max of 60 events per summer in the program with National Grid. Does Eversource have a max number of event days?

July was tough because of all the rain here in the northeast really suppressed solar generation. A couple times we had three event days in a row also during non-sunny weather and used grid while the batteries held onto solar for an event scheduled that day. That kind of bummed me out but I did the financial math a few times and we do still come out ahead on those days running on grid and holding back the solar as it tops off the batteries for the event.

Upvote 0
National Grid here. I’ve had one event is August so far, yesterday, and had nine in July.

I’ve heard from other National Grid Connected Solutions customers and some of them have had a few more events so there is some regionality to the VPP. They are closer to metro areas and we are more rural so that along with the part of the grid we are on may play a roll.

National Grid and Tesla have told us that we could expect during the hottest parts of the summer events almost every day. But we have not seen that or anything near the max of 60 events per summer in the program with National Grid. Does Eversource have a max number of event days?

July was tough because of all the rain here in the northeast really suppressed solar generation. A couple times we had three event days in a row also during non-sunny weather and used grid while the batteries held onto solar for an event scheduled that day. That kind of bummed me out but I did the financial math a few times and we do still come out ahead on those days running on grid and holding back the solar as it tops off the batteries for the event.
I believe that there is a max of 60 events per summer and 5 events per winter, as per MassSave program docs.

Could you tell me what duration events you've had? My "issue" isn't the quantity of events (as I knew that going in), just the distribution of 2-hr vs 3-hr. Also, I've not been keen on EverSource calling events when it's like 75 degF outside and cloudy, although I think that events might be pre-planned to some extent so that may be unavoidable.

Upvote 0
I believe that there is a max of 60 events per summer and 5 events per winter, as per MassSave program docs.

Could you tell me what duration events you've had? My "issue" isn't the quantity of events (as I knew that going in), just the distribution of 2-hr vs 3-hr. Also, I've not been keen on EverSource calling events when it's like 75 degF outside and cloudy, although I think that events might be pre-planned to some extent so that may be unavoidable.

We’ve had only one or two three hour events. Most of our events are two hours and with our three powerwalls they pull the max 15kw from them the whole time from full capacity. This usually results in powerwalls with about 20% left. When the events are on sunny late afternoons another 3-4kw of solar is also sent to the grid during the event as well. Definitely more power going out then my house ever consumes even with an EV. During the 3 hour events they only drained the three powerwalls at a 10kw rate, so sometimes look like they choose what they need, more instantaneous or more over time.

There were a bunch of days in early July when I too wondered why the day was an event day since the weather was cooler and cloudy. I kind of grumbled to myself those days since it took most of the day to fill the powerwalls from SolarEdge and that meant more power used from the grid for the house while that solar was being “saved” for the event. But coincidence or not the second half or July I didn’t feel that was the case with event days. Maybe they are learning?

Upvote 0
We’ve had only one or two three hour events. Most of our events are two hours and with our three powerwalls they pull the max 15kw from them the whole time from full capacity. This usually results in powerwalls with about 20% left. When the events are on sunny late afternoons another 3-4kw of solar is also sent to the grid during the event as well. Definitely more power going out then my house ever consumes even with an EV. During the 3 hour events they only drained the three powerwalls at a 10kw rate, so sometimes look like they choose what they need, more instantaneous or more over time.

There were a bunch of days in early July when I too wondered why the day was an event day since the weather was cooler and cloudy. I kind of grumbled to myself those days since it took most of the day to fill the powerwalls from SolarEdge and that meant more power used from the grid for the house while that solar was being “saved” for the event. But coincidence or not the second half or July I didn’t feel that was the case with event days. Maybe they are learning?
I really hope that my events would be similar to you - curious whereabouts you might be?

My understanding is that the events will drain your battery at whatever rate it takes to get from your starting SOC down to ~20%, whatever that might be. Initially, I thought that this rate was fixed but EverSource seems to start higher and trend downwards over the event duration.

I wish that I could say that EverSource was learning - my mom had 3 3-hr events this week where her batteries weren't full. One was even only at 55%!

Upvote 0
I'm in RI on National Gird, I have been in the program for two years now and most of the events have been on sunny hot days. I would say my powerwalls have been completely or just about completely full each time an even was called. I have three powerwalls and the events are either 2 hours and I export at 15kW or three hours and I export at 10kW. I feel like the three-hour events have been more common. I wouldn't worry about your incentive. Last year seems to be about the same as this year in terms of event length and kW exported for me and last year I made almost $4K in incentives. I know RI pays slightly higher than MA for incentives but I got more than I was expecting.

• Informative
Reactions: jhn_ and BGbreeder
Upvote 0
I’m in Bedford, a bit north and west of Boston, on Eversource. Most of my events have been from 4 to 7 pm, discharging down to 20% and take a total of 30kWh for my three powerwalls at a 10kW rate. They have on occasion taken 15kW for two hours instead.
I misinterpreted what you wrote earlier, it looks like EverSource is drawing your system at about the same rate as my mom's. Only difference is you have 3 batteries and she only has two.

Upvote 0
Do you get advanced notice for events? I don’t have my PWs installed yet, but have EverSource and enrolled my ChargePoint EV charger in the ConnectedSolutions program. Just got my first alert that there’s going to be a “utility event” tomorrow (8/11) from 4-7pm. I’m metro-west, would be interested to see if anyone else in the area has a PW event tomorrow at that time as well.

Upvote 0
Do you get advanced notice for events? I don’t have my PWs installed yet, but have EverSource and enrolled my ChargePoint EV charger in the ConnectedSolutions program. Just got my first alert that there’s going to be a “utility event” tomorrow (8/11) from 4-7pm. I’m metro-west, would be interested to see if anyone else in the area has a PW event tomorrow at that time as well.
I'm NG customer and getting no warnings, but as we recently discovered there is a sign of upcoming event: if PW stops discharging before reaching set limit - it's going to be event next day.

Upvote 0
Seconding @solarAddict, my experience is the same. I do not get warnings from National Grid. I have heard from Eversource customers that they get a warning.

Like @solarAddict said, most times it is in the late evening and sometimes just before midnight the powerwalls stop exporting to the house before hitting their reserve and it’s a clue that an event will be the next day where all the solar goes to fill the batteries first before home use.

I do wish National Grid have a warning.

Upvote 0
I am on Eversource and I do not get any warning from them or Tesla. As mentioned previously, and in another thread, you can tell when an event is going to happen by seeing the amount of power going to recharge your powerwall is equal to the solar generation rather than just the amount of generation above your household usage. I also am on connected solutions with my EV charger and got the notice today that it will limit EV charging. There are many more powerwall events than there are EV charger events.

Upvote 0
I am on Eversource and I do not get any warning from them or Tesla. As mentioned previously, and in another thread, you can tell when an event is going to happen by seeing the amount of power going to recharge your powerwall is equal to the solar generation rather than just the amount of generation above your household usage. I also am on connected solutions with my EV charger and got the notice today that it will limit EV charging. There are many more powerwall events than there are EV charger events.

Not to side-track the discussion, but what is "Connected solutions with EV charger"? I've never heard about it. Any advantages for EV owner? - I'm thinking to buy one soon.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Not to side-track the discussion, but what is "Connected solutions with EV charger"? I've never heard about it. Any advantages for EV owner? - I'm thinking to buy one soon.
Thanks
Eversource offers a deal where you get paid $300 to enroll your Chargepoint home EV station. On "event" days they tell the wifi connected charging station to slow the peak charging rate during the event. They pay either a flat $300 up front or $150 upfront with $50/year for 3 years depending on whether you already own the station or purchase it for the program. I moved to a new house and wanted to install something to charge my S and our Prius Primes (2 of them) so I got a chargepoint station refurbished from Amazon. It was $550 IIRC and after the $300 and the tax writeoff it was a deal. I got the station with a 14-50 plug so I could use it, or plug in my tesla portable if I needed to for some reason. Normally I charge at 40A, during an event it slows to 12A IIRC. I've never been plugged in and charging during an event so I don't have confirmation of what they slow it to. Since we have 3 cars sharing the one station, we unplug when we are finished charging. Since the events are usually 4-7 (or shorter) we are not typically charging then anyway.

Since they are talking to the charging station rather than to the car, it works with any EV.

• Informative
Reactions: solarAddict
Upvote 0
When I first signed up I got an email from Tesla saying that it is up to the utility if they want to notify on a per-event basis. I don't get notified. You can tell in the app if tomorrow is going to be an event day. For me anyway, the powerwalls seem to stop discharging even in self-power mode towards the end of the day. They hold a higher reserve than the next day (day of the event) all energy created by solar goes into powerwall and the house pulls from the grid.

Upvote 0
When I first signed up I got an email from Tesla saying that it is up to the utility if they want to notify on a per-event basis. I don't get notified. You can tell in the app if tomorrow is going to be an event day. For me anyway, the powerwalls seem to stop discharging even in self-power mode towards the end of the day. They hold a higher reserve than the next day (day of the event) all energy created by solar goes into powerwall and the house pulls from the grid.
Interestingly, EverSource in MA told me that it is up to the battery vendor to send notifications and Tesla is not sending them....

Upvote 0