Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checking in with the folks on connectivity package.

I listen to YouTube Music and don’t really use much navigation. Am I missing out anything without the package? Is hot spotting an alternative? I read it somewhere the package offers you ad free Spotify?

You won't get Spotify without the premium package and the maps are not as good & don't push live traffic situations to the car either as I understand it.

More here:

I don't currently have the connectivity package since my 1 year trial expired but did use it for a while. I currently hot spot my phone and use its wifi as a replacement on the go. So hot spotting is an alternative but it needs to be manually set up every time you drive. It works but not as seamless or effective as the premium connectivity and only for streaming content like Netflix, Spotify, Tunein and Youtube (no satellite maps or live traffic). I'll probably get the premium package when we can get clear of lockdowns and can do longer trips again.

For music streaming the premium connectivity will only handle Spotify on the go. This is one of the reasons we migrated to Spotify from Google Play/Youtube Music. I believe you will need a Spotify account to use it in the car. If you want to stick with Youtube music you will likely have to connect through the phone. I find navigation in the car to be excellent and you will find yourself using it more. It will route based on traffic without premium connectivity, it just doesn't show it.

It's only $10/mth after the trial expires (one month on SR+, 12 months on others)

And as well as the free Spotify no ads on a Tesla account (which is useful if you don't otherwise have a Spotify account),
The realtime traffic colours is useful , albeit live navigation will reflect it to a destination if you don't have it.

And I've used quite a bit of data streaming Stan, Netflix and Kayo while charging.

All depends on whether you have a big mobile plan that your happy to hotspot, or whether you run things tight.

(My current mobile plan is $150 a year ($12/mth) with Woolworths Mobile on Telstra for 100Gb and unlimited calls) so I'm quite happy to pay a bit more for an unlimited package in the car.

Last edited:
I think it comes back to the relative cheap (under $20) and underpowered Intel Atom chip for the display.

While it's undoubtedly more powerful than what's in almost every other car, it really wasn't designed for video.

And I suspect video apps, and the browser that can play other videos was a bit of an afterthought , a bit like sentry mode

I think it comes back to the relative cheap (under $20) and underpowered Intel Atom chip for the display.

While it's undoubtedly more powerful than what's in almost every other car, it really wasn't designed for video.

And I suspect video apps, and the browser that can play other videos was a bit of an afterthought , a bit like sentry mode

I think it's more down to everything running through the Tesla VPN back to Headquarters. ie. All video routed over whatever servers wherever they're running them (Hawthorn? Amazon?).

There should be an "Activate Tesla Account" option somewhere on the login screen. Apparently it doesn't work if you're on WiFi though.
It doesn't work on LTE either. The same thing happens on or off WiFi.

I scroll down on the Spotify screen to "Have a Spotify account? [SIGN IN]".
Tap [SIGN IN]
Get a sign in screen asking for usename and password. There's a [USE TESLA ACCOUNT] button.
Tap the [USE TESLA ACCOUNT] button
Get a screen saying that Tesla can create an account for use in the vehicle after agreeing to Spotify's T&C and Privacy Policy and there's and [Accept] button.
Doesn't matter if I read the T&C and/or Privacy Policy.
Tap the [Accept] button
I briefly get a screen saying "Using the Tesla account..." with a spinning circle and it takes me back to the Spotify screen and I'm no signed in.