Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model 3 in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dmurphy is there a local "Tesla friendly businesses" thread, listing garages, car washes, tire shops, etc., that are familiar and trustworthy with Tesla cars?
If not, might be a good idea for a thread.
I'm in Essex County
I looked a bit and could find some. I figure I would go through the Delaware valley club (which includes NJ). I'm in your area too so sure interested for car wash and tires.

@dmurphy is there a local "Tesla friendly businesses" thread, listing garages, car washes, tire shops, etc., that are familiar and trustworthy with Tesla cars?
If not, might be a good idea for a thread.
I'm in Essex County
We do — it’s primarily in the DVTO Slack channel, not on TMC, but I agree — would be a good thread here, too.

Reactions: sroy
. I would like to invite all of you (and of course anyone else in the NJ/PA/DE area!) to come join the Delaware Valley Tesla Owners' Club - www.dvto.club ... it's a great group of folks. We just began resuming in-person events and would love to meet all of you in person ... even if you don't have your car yet, you're certainly welcome to join and attend our meet-ups. I'd suggest joining soon, we have a bunch of virtual "Tesla ABC" workshops coming up in the next few weeks that would be super beneficial

upcoming Zoom meeting - excellent opportunity for new owners to learn about their car

• Thursday, August 19, 2021
  • 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM

An informal virtual meetup providing an opportunity to ask our experienced DVTO club members questions about anything regarding their Tesla vehicles or energy products and learn some new tips and tricks.

When registering for this event you will be asked to submit your quesion. During the event we will first answer questions which were submitted in advance, and then, if time permits will open it up to additional attendee questions. Having the questions in advance allows us to research the answers and provide more detailed and accurate responses.

This Ask us Anything session is part of the the club's "Tesla ABC" series of educational Boot Camps for Tesla owners which includes:

• ABC Intro -- Autopilot, Basic Operation, and Charging Introduction for new owners
  • ABC to DIY -- Advanced Boot Camp to Do It Yourself workshops and videos on vehicle maintenance (virtual or in person)
  • ABC Focused Topic -- Advanced Boot Camp Focused on a specific Topic
Registration information:

Members: Free

Non-members: $5 However, non-members who register and attend may request a discount code to apply the event fee towards membership in the club. Email [email protected] for more information.

Registration fees collected and not applied to club membership will be used to purchase food for our annual Thanksgiving food drive (Camp Out for Hunger).

Reactions: dmurphy
very rarely have an issue
Does your car …
  • go from the left lane to the right lane, only to reverse the steps, on an open highway, for no apparent reason?
  • decide to slow down on highway, for no apparent reason?
  • wait until the last moment to take an exit, at an aggressively sharp angle, or does it gradually drift onto the deceleration lane?
  • enter a cloverleaf at highway speed, or does it slow down?
  • get confused when a new lane is added, then it does a last second aggressive maneuver that the other drivers must love?
  • drop navigation availability for no apparent reason?
  • blast nerve shattering warnings when no reason to do so exists?
  • make you feel confident going around a curve when there’s a nearby wall or divider (Taconic Parkway, Goethals Bridge, 1-9 covered roadway) or do you white knuckle it?
  • allow you to drive for an hour and let the car do its thing, or do you have to (frequently) override, or take control?
I love the car, but if I were to critically judge Autopilot as well as Navigation, I’d give it a B, or possibly B-
IMHO, it is not ready for prime time highway driving (defined as being suitable for any driver to utilize).

Do you drive with confirmation on navigation, or do you let the car take complete control?
Would you let a younger driver use navigation without confirmation if you were in the passenger seat?

Last edited:
Does your car …
  • go from the left lane to the right lane, only to reverse the steps, on an open highway, for no apparent reason? - no.

• decide to slow down on highway, for no apparent reason? - yes, occasionally. Less than it used to, but yes.
  • wait until the last moment to take an exit, at an aggressively sharp angle, or does it gradually drift onto the deceleration lane? - no.
  • enter a cloverleaf at highway speed, or does it slow down? - slows down - but I also manually adjust the speed with the scroll wheel.
  • get confused when a new lane is added, then it does a last second aggressive maneuver that the other drivers must love? - no
  • drop navigation availability for no apparent reason? - no
  • blast nerve shattering warnings when no reason to do so exists? - no, I'm used to them by now, so my nerves don't shatter. :)
  • make you feel confident going around a curve when there’s a nearby wall or divider (Taconic Parkway, Goethals Bridge, 1-9 covered roadway) or do you white knuckle it? - I specifically mentioned gsp, tpk - wouldn't use it on the covered roadway!
  • allow you to drive for an hour and let the car do its thing, or do you have to (frequently) override, or take control? - yes I've done many many hours of uninterrupted autopilot, depending on where.
Do you drive with confirmation on navigation, or do you let the car take complete control? Confirmation - I'm in control, always.
Would you let a younger driver use navigation without confirmation if you were in the passenger seat? - no. Don't use it myself, either.