Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model 3 in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know these cars are different and am trying to learn as much as I can before delivery. Been reading about the need for a front license plate holder mount, it seems to be a must. I never would have thought about it if I didn’t read the forums.
Is there anything else that’s a must. I’m not interested in cosmetics or making the car look cool, but rather functional enhancements (which, if I understand the issue, the plate mount is).
FWIW, I’ve decided to got the wheel cap (yes I know that’s cosmetic :D )

Last edited:
I know these cars are different and am trying to learn as much as I can before delivery. Been reading about the need for a front license plate holder mount, it seems to be a must. I never would have thought about it if I didn’t read the forums.
Is there anything else that’s a must. I’m not interested in cosmetics or making the car look cool, but rather functional enhancements (which, if I understand the issue, the plate mount is).
FWIW, I’ve decided to got the wheel cap (yes I know that’s cosmetic :D )
A lot of it is up to you. Here are some popular ones and a few from my list:

a regular USB drive for extra storage for sentry mode.
paint protection film if you can’t live with rock chips.
window tints if you want.
Screen protector.
Pedal covers.
tire repair - inflator and slime stuff, or an actual spare tire kit.
charging equipment - depends on your setup, a 14-50 plug adapter for mobile connector is efficient and cheap if you have a 14-50 outlet. if you get a non Tesla home charger, you will want an extra j1772 adapter so you can have one for home and one in your car. If you are getting a Tesla wall connector, you don’t really need anything else as you can keep your mobile connector and adapter in your car.

...a regular USB drive for extra storage for sentry mode.
Extra storage? I thought the only storage was the plugged in drive. The car has it's own internal storage? (sorry if this is a frequently discussed item, there are a few thousand threads here, I've only read a few hundred so far...LOL)

tire repair - inflator and slime stuff, or an actual spare tire kit.
I have a plug in inflator. I figure that's good enough to be able to get car to gas station.

charging equipment - depends on your setup, a 14-50 plug adapter for mobile connector is efficient and cheap if you have a 14-50 outlet. if you get a non Tesla home charger, you will want an extra j1772 adapter so you can have one for home and one in your car. If you are getting a Tesla wall connector, you don’t really need anything else as you can keep your mobile connector and adapter in your car.
Not familiar with all the configurations. I believe there's only one needed (j1772 to cover the majority of public chargers), right? When/where might one use a 14-50? (again, only read a few hundred of the threads, so far 😜)
I don't plan on having a home charger. My office complex free chargers, I'm always the first one here, and there are both a public charger, as well as a super charger, 1/4 mile from my house.

Thanks!

Extra storage? I thought the only storage was the plugged in drive. The car has it's own internal storage? (sorry if this is a frequently discussed item, there are a few thousand threads here, I've only read a few hundred so far...LOL)

I have a plug in inflator. I figure that's good enough to be able to get car to gas station.

Not familiar with all the configurations. I believe there's only one needed (j1772 to cover the majority of public chargers), right? When/where might one use a 14-50? (again, only read a few hundred of the threads, so far 😜)
I don't plan on having a home charger. My office complex free chargers, I'm always the first one here, and there are both a public charger, as well as a super charger, 1/4 mile from my house.

Thanks!
storage - correct, you need to provide the storage (disregard my "Extra"). Do some research on the drives needed, I see many recommendations to get 500gb drive or larger as the sentry recordings fill up a small drive quickly. I do not have my car yet though, and this is one of the topics I haven't fully researched yet.

plug in inflator is good, but perhaps also get a bottle of the slime and a patch kit. It may come in handy if you get a larger puncture that deflates too quickly and you are desperate to get moving versus waiting for roadside assistance. I often have the kids in my car, or need to go pick them up from school or whatever at a certain time, so I want to be prepared for any emergency.

charger - Based on your situation, you probably do not need anything else. the car will come with the mobile charger and the j1772 adapter. this will cover you in mostly all situations where you will either use your cable in an existing outlet at Level 1 speeds, use a Tesla supercharger, or your adapter with most public chargers. the 14-50 adapter I mentioned would be if you have a 14-50 outlet installed at your home. Not relevant in your situation it sounds like. its a $45 dongle that replaces the standard plug on the mobile connector to enable Level 2 charging (about 30 Miles of charge per hour versus ~3 at Standard Level 1). This is often more economical for people than a Tesla Wall Connector, especially if they already have the appropriate outlet.

storage - correct, you need to provide the storage (disregard my "Extra"). Do some research on the drives needed, I see many recommendations to get 500gb drive or larger as the sentry recordings fill up a small drive quickly. I do not have my car yet though, and this is one of the topics I haven't fully researched yet.

plug in inflator is good, but perhaps also get a bottle of the slime and a patch kit. It may come in handy if you get a larger puncture that deflates too quickly and you are desperate to get moving versus waiting for roadside assistance. I often have the kids in my car, or need to go pick them up from school or whatever at a certain time, so I want to be prepared for any emergency.

charger - Based on your situation, you probably do not need anything else. the car will come with the mobile charger and the j1772 adapter. this will cover you in mostly all situations where you will either use your cable in an existing outlet at Level 1 speeds, use a Tesla supercharger, or your adapter with most public chargers. the 14-50 adapter I mentioned would be if you have a 14-50 outlet installed at your home. Not relevant in your situation it sounds like. its a $45 dongle that replaces the standard plug on the mobile connector to enable Level 2 charging (about 30 Miles of charge per hour versus ~3 at Standard Level 1). This is often more economical for people than a Tesla Wall Connector, especially if they already have the appropriate outlet.

Keep in mind that the newer vehicles come with a usb Storage device; no need to supply your own anymore.

@haroldo - I know you’re not planning on installing a charger at home, but do you have by chance have a regular 120V plug at home? I’m an ABC fan - “always be charging” so even a 120V plug wouldn’t be a bad idea just to keep things topped off. Especially in the deep of winter, the car does consume some battery while it’s sitting there. It runs heat pumps and such to keep the battery from getting too cold, etc.

There’s just no feeling like waking up to a car that’s ready to go wherever you want every single morning. Never having to think about a gas station or “oh crap I only have 1/8th tank” or any of that is pretty liberating!

Here is my list:

What I got...

...that I find necessary:
- Samsung T7 500GB hard drive. I have my own music library so that was a given. Partitioned 50-50.
- Paint protection (planning to get Autoflex) (getting on delivery week)
- mudflaps (I chose the RallyArmor; I do need to travel on dirt road frequently enough + heavy winters to justify) - maybe not for you and less necessary if you get the side skirts protected
- Snapplate. No way I am going to glue the OEM supplied one on the front bumper
- OEM winter mat. I got the frunk as aftermarket because the OEM one was not available when I ordered the set. And I also got the extra trunk one. Both from amazon.
- console cover. Got the same as the original console finish to protect against accidents
- dog hammock for back seat protection (got a dog and 2 teens)
- real winter tires. As I mentioned, I travel North and need a "real-winter" ready vehicle in winter. And I like being able to ignore snow storms.

...that I find nice to have:
- 18" wheels "T" center and nuts caps. The aero cover reportedly damages the finish of the 18" wheels so I plan to put them on only when I travel long distance and wanted a more finished look when they are off and I don't like the OEM center cap.
- Pedal covers. Pure vanity I like the look of the aluminium pedals
- Silicone plate back cover. To protect the paint for the back plate but mostly for the black lining look.
- extra set of key cards. I would like to have 2 safe copies in storage with my important paperwork and 2 to carry around

What I plan to get...

...that I find necessary:
- 2n set of wheels + tires. I will use the OEM tires on 18" wheel this summer. Swap tires to winter tires next winter and get an extra set of wheels and summer tires next summer.
- The full set of plugs adapters
- grill intake extra grill to keep leaves out and the floor ones but want to look at it first

...that I find nice to have:
- full interior lights upgrades. The OEM ones are very faint. There are bright after markets ones.
- CF novitec kit or similar
- wall charger + at home charging stuff. I live in a Condo right now where home charging will probably not be possible but we plan on moving next year and getting a place to charge will be on the list of must haves.

Reactions: haroldo
Keep in mind that the newer vehicles come with a usb Storage device; no need to supply your own anymore.

@haroldo - I know you’re not planning on installing a charger at home, but do you have by chance have a regular 120V plug at home? I’m an ABC fan - “always be charging” so even a 120V plug wouldn’t be a bad idea just to keep things topped off. Especially in the deep of winter, the car does consume some battery while it’s sitting there. It runs heat pumps and such to keep the battery from getting too cold, etc.

There’s just no feeling like waking up to a car that’s ready to go wherever you want every single morning. Never having to think about a gas station or “oh crap I only have 1/8th tank” or any of that is pretty liberating!
Thanks for clarifying on the storage. I agree on your point about the charging. If there is a 120v outlet around, it might be worthwhile to get a second mobile connector so you can leave one at home and keep one in the car.
I am very much looking forward to the full tank every morning. Nothing worse than needing to stop for gas when running late.

...get a bottle of the slime and a patch kit
Any specific brand/kit?

do you have by chance have a regular 120V plug at home? I

If there is a 120v outlet around, it might be worthwhile to get a second mobile connector
Yes, there's a plug in the garage. Which adapter is needed? According to this page it looks like it's included (confused)

---

Included adapter

Outlets
Model 3
NEMA%205-15.png

NEMA 5-15
120 volt / 15 amp breaker
Common household outlet

Reactions: dmurphy
The car will come with the correct adapter for the 12V plug, and a J1772 adapter for using third-party (non-Tesla) charging stations.
Thanks! Is it me, or shouldn't a $50,000 car automatically come with all the adapters one might reasonably expect to encounter during normal travels? Bad PR for someone to be stuck at a location and unable to charge due to the car not having the parts ... IMHO

ugh... And that info is impossible to find on the website. Guess it's part of the mvpa docs?
Thanks! Is it me, or shouldn't a $50,000 car automatically come with all the adapters one might reasonably expect to encounter during normal travels? Bad PR for someone to be stuck at a location and unable to charge due to the car not having the parts ... IMHO

I don’t remember where it’s documented but it is somewhere or another … don’t expect the MVPA to be that detailed though. Instead of ordering online, ask at your local service center — they usually have them available for sale.

As for the adapters, I agree. I do think the 14-50 should still be included, but not for that reason. I’ve never run into one randomly “in the wild” …. I think it should be included because a 14-50 receptacle is the sweet spot for home charging — easy to use, easy to explain to an electrician and in most cases, fairly simple to install.

Having the J1772 adapter when out and about is really all you need. And even that I use very infrequently ….

It technically does include all you need for common situations, and it is “competitive” to what the other brands offer. Plus Tesla offers their supercharging network as well. The add-ons are more to optimize your home charging based on whatever higher amp outlet you may have access to or be installing.
you should be good to go with what it comes with. For convenience, you may want to get a second mobile connector if you end up using the included one at home and wanting to have a second in your car

paint protection film if you can’t live with rock chips.
I am curious about the paint protection film so many seem to be using. Does this film prevent the appearance of rock chips or is it just that the film gets chipped up rather than the paint? I guess what I mean is which car would look better after a year of driving with flying highway rocks, a car with PPF installed or a car without it?

I am curious about the paint protection film so many seem to be using. Does this film prevent the appearance of rock chips or is it just that the film gets chipped up rather than the paint? I guess what I mean is which car would look better after a year of driving with flying highway rocks, a car with PPF installed or a car without it?
The later. But it’s self curing so depending on how bad the chips are some can disappear once cured.

Reactions: rjpjnk

Eh. For the price, I think it's more cost effective to roll the dice, take a couple of rock chips over a few years, and get the bumper repainted if it really needs it.

That said - the car is my daily driver, not a garage queen. I expect a few chips and scratches and stuff - it doesn't ruin my day.

I just don't find the PPF worth the hype. I had it installed on my wife's Model X, and wish I hadn't. It just wasn't worth doing -- my "naked" Model 3 is a year older and looks just fine.

Reactions: rjpjnk and Matt35
The later. But it’s self curing so depending on how bad the chips are some can disappear once cured.
Yea, I used to be obsessed with keeping the cars spotless on the front end. But now I don't mind seeing a car that shows signs of being used and enjoyed with some badges of honor. Perhaps its from all the motosports I watch now. Its a tough decision for me. Paying for film that might get dinged up. Or running without and inevitably signing up for some rock chips at least.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Eh. For the price, I think it's more cost effective to roll the dice, take a couple of rock chips over a few years, and get the bumper repainted if it really needs it.

That said - the car is my daily driver, not a garage queen. I expect a few chips and scratches and stuff - it doesn't ruin my day.

I just don't find the PPF worth the hype. I had it installed on my wife's Model X, and wish I hadn't. It just wasn't worth doing -- my "naked" Model 3 is a year older and looks just fine.
Nice. This is what I was thinking as well. Use it and enjoy. The first few dings will be tough on the heart, but then it will be ok for me. Same as anything new I get like a watch, phone, shoes, etc.