Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering canceling my order. Rekindle the Tesla fire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the general sentiment of your post but defending these choices by parroting Tesla’s “official” reasons is a complete joke.

These features went away due to bean counting and hubris. Nothing else. Defending the removal of the ultrasonic sensors in particular as a customer-friendly move is absurd. It’s super evident that their hasty removal before there was ANY plan or development underway to replicate the features with other hardware was in response to some supply chain crisis or arrogant penny pinching.
Completely agree. I understand the sentiment, but often I just hear company-polished excuses for taking things away that people expected when they bought the car.

Passenger lumbar support? “You didn’t use it enough so we took it out to save cost” (so where is the corresponding price saving. Maybe next they’ll remove rear seat heaters since they’re used rarely too)

USS not needed? You can use Tesla Vison. But oh btw, many of the vehicle control features using Vison aren’t ready yet and will be disabled for the time being. Oh yeah, new cameras? Maybe someday.

Matrix headlights? Welcome to the delivery lotto.

Car panels not lined up properly? Paint improperly done? It’s ok (even though it’s a brand new car) , we can just repair it in our shop.

Supercharging? Thanks for your purchase. Btw, we are going to let anyone with an EV use it too.

But don’t worry, we’ll be hiking the price up over and over to match inflation/supply constraints.

@Mike7564

Based on your Opening post and the subsequent responses in this thread, you have made your decision already, which is fine. I have said this on multiple threads, but I believe very strongly there is absolutely, positively no "one size fits all" in something like a vehicle.

As @ucmndd said, there are plenty of luxury vehicles at this price point, but this is not one of them (and I am saying that as an owner of a model 3 performance and a model Y performance).

Luxury cars these are not. If the things that are important to you are luxury appointments in a vehicle, you need to look elsewhere, like it sounds like you are doing.

"how can they sell at this price", "why are they removing features" etc only matters to each person making the decision. its not a talking point (and doesnt need nor deserve discussion points on "why did they XXX?".

Just make a decision based on the value proposition for yourself, and buy or buy something else that fits the value proposition better for you. Worrying about "who is buying these at these prices" or "why did they remove XXX" is frankly not relevant as it pertains to whether someone is buying or not; it either has what you want or doesnt, so buy or not based on that. "why a company does X or Y' is nothing but internet discussion, not decision making.

My brother got lucky and managed to find a new BMW iX 50 in inventory (obviously with an aim to one-up me in terms of luxury). Driving his iX instantly felt quicker, spacious and definitely more "luxurious" than my MYLR 7 Seater with Acceleration Boost. I would say he is getting a lot more bang for the buck if comparing the MY to iX at their current price. I bought mine in fall 2021, before all the price hikes but if I had to make that choice right now, I would pay the extra 10/15k and buy the iX. Then again, someone has put a gun to my head and force me to buy at 6.69% APR!

Bottom line is that you still have options and should not feel cornered to buy a Tesla.

Last edited:
But over the last year have watched the car lose feature after feature.
The features gained far far outweigh the features lost. Improvements include:
  • bioweapon defense mode
  • Ryzen processor (instead of Atom)
  • heated (parked) windshield wipers
  • better cleaning fluid distribution from the wipers
  • Li-ion "12" volt battery
  • Larger main battery
  • improved rear door emergency release
  • cargo cover
I'd trade: radar, us sensors, and passenger lumbar support adjustment for this list of goodies in a heartbeat. I'd trade all three for just the battery (either one), or just the Ryzen processor, or just bioweapon defense mode.
Beyond the chronic panel gaps/finish issues which don’t surprise anyone anymore.
These problems have been vastly improved after the early runs. This really isn't a thing anymore. It may still happen but it's rare.

Reactions: Yelobird
Looking at the OP’s post history I’m surprised (not really) to not find a single non-negative post or one not pitching a Rivian? Do you work for Rivian or is there an agenda I missed. Good luck with Your buying decision.

Looking at the OP’s post history I’m surprised (not really) to not find a single non-negative post or one not pitching a Rivian? Do you work for Rivian or is there an agenda I missed. Good luck with Your buying decision.
Nope. I don’t “work for Rivian”. And no I don’t “have an agenda”. Just honestly trying to get some balanced perspectives from others based on the current situation (market offerings, price, expected features, etc). Hopefully that’s a reasonable ask.

In fact, many years ago I already decided I wouldn’t purchase another ICE vehicle, just waiting for the right time and vehicle.

In fact, based on the premise of my OP, I’ve spent the last several years assuming it would be a Tesla and actually convinced several friends to buy a Tesla themselves over the years (actually invested in the company in its early days). Just felt that “feeling” had been a bit derailed at the last minute.

Thanks to everyone else for sharing their perspectives BTW. It’s helpful.

Last edited:
Or maybe it's just Rivian has a compelling product... not everything is a conspiracy. I know this is a Tesla forum, but Rivian is the only car I would consider outside of Tesla at this point in time and I find people's discussion of it interesting/valuable.Agreed.
Sure. It certainly is interesting. Haven’t sat in one before (though see them on the streets). Certainly a company on its infancy and all the associated risks/uncertainty which goes with that.

But I don’t think it’s too much to stay open minded when making such a large purchase.

Just honestly trying to get some balanced perspectives from others based on the current situation (market offerings, price, expected features, etc). Hopefully that’s a reasonable ask.
If you want to get a 7 seat BEV now (within the next few months, given scarcity), then there are very few choices. I think that the Model Y, Model X, and Merdedes-Benz EQB & EQS SUV are the only ones.
  • The Ioniq 5/EV6/GV60 are very good, but only 5 seaters.
  • The Rivian R1S is truly amazing, but orders now will probably not arrive until mid- to late-2024.
  • The Lyriq/Blazer EV, likely available late-2023, is only a 5 seater
  • The Bolt EUV (great value) is a small 5 seater
  • The Equinox EV, likely late-2023, is a 5 seater (I think)
  • The GV70 Electrified might have a 7 seater option (likely mid- to late-2023)
  • Subaru Solterra is a 5 seater
  • I think all the Audis are 5 seaters
  • Volvo XC40 Recharge is a 5 seater
  • Fisker Ocean is a 5 seater

If you want to get a 7 seat BEV now (within the next few months, given scarcity), then there are very few choices. I think that the Model Y, Model X, and Merdedes-Benz EQB & EQS SUV are the only ones.
  • The Ioniq 5/EV6/GV60 are very good, but only 5 seaters.
  • The Rivian R1S is truly amazing, but orders now will probably not arrive until mid- to late-2024.
  • The Lyriq/Blazer EV, likely available late-2023, is only a 5 seater
  • The Bolt EUV (great value) is a small 5 seater
  • The Equinox EV, likely late-2023, is a 5 seater (I think)
  • The GV70 Electrified might have a 7 seater option (likely mid- to late-2023)
  • Subaru Solterra is a 5 seater
  • I think all the Audis are 5 seaters
  • Volvo XC40 Recharge is a 5 seater
  • Fisker Ocean is a 5 seater
Yeah. Thank you. The main reason for the 7 seater would be to fit two car seats + booster. I have seen some videos where you can get 3 across in the second row (which would eliminate the need for the third row) but when I test drove the MY, I wasn’t able to get three to fit and still close the doors. Plus the buckles were buried (rather than some cars where they can be pulled up a bit) so hard for a child to reach between the car seats to plug in.

Realize that’s a different post topic.

Reactions: cdub
Yeah. Thank you. The main reason for the 7 seater would be to fit two car seats + booster. I have seen some videos where you can get 3 across in the second row (which would eliminate the need for the third row) but when I test drove the MY, I wasn’t able to get three to fit and still close the doors. Realize that’s a different post topic.
You can do 3 across in the 5 or 7 seat MX. Unfortunately its crazy expensive. I have noted the pre-refresh models prices have dropped if you are considering used models.

Yeah. Thank you. The main reason for the 7 seater would be to fit two car seats + booster. I have seen some videos where you can get 3 across in the second row (which would eliminate the need for the third row) but when I test drove the MY, I wasn’t able to get three to fit and still close the doors. Realize that’s a different post topic.
Yeah, I saw one of your earlier posts about fitting 3 kid seats in the back. There are very few cars, of any type, that fit 3-across on the 2nd row. I think my old BMW 750iL could have done it, but not many others.

When you have 3 small children, the Minivan is still by far the best all-around platform to handle life needs. But, nobody is talking about an electric minivan. And those would be perfect to electrify.

Edit: I just remembered the VW ID.Buzz likely coming in 2024. That one will be very hard to get, but it would be an amazing family mover... with style.

Last edited:
In fact, based on the premise of my OP, I’ve spent the last several years assuming it would be a Tesla and actually convinced several friends to buy a Tesla themselves over the years (actually invested in the company in its early days). Just felt that “feeling” had been a bit derailed at the last minute.
This is me as well. I've been following Tesla since the roadster days, ordered a Leaf in 2010, driving it since 2011, waited in line to order a model 3 and thought I was going to get one in 2018 until life punched me in the face (job uncertainty I've since overcome) and now having 2 cars without loans for 10 years and working fine I've been hesitant to buy a new car since the current cars are fine (even though range in my leaf SUCKS)

I was going to buy the Y 2 years ago but like an idiot I thought the new better 4680 version of the Y was coming out any second now so I was going to wait and then the price went up $20k. :(

So the price tag again has me wary. I could afford it but paying that much is crazy if I think about it.
Yeah. Thank you. The main reason for the 7 seater would be to fit two car seats + booster. I have seen some videos where you can get 3 across in the second row (which would eliminate the need for the third row) but when I test drove the MY, I wasn’t able to get three to fit and still close the doors. Plus the buckles were buried (rather than some cars where they can be pulled up a bit) so hard for a child to reach between the car seats to plug in.

Realize that’s a different post topic.
It depends on the car seat. I fit 2 car seats and a booster across in my leaf so it should work. You need the narrow car seats from radium or sunshine kids. :) (I think they changed the name to diono actually) it's been a while since I had car seats.

Have a bit of dilemma. Been planning on getting a Tesla for a few years after my current car dies. With the series of price hikes last year, got spooked and placed the order for a 7seater MYLR in July. Had a far fetched idea that 4680 battery would push range over 400 miles and make up for the cost/lack of luxury finishes. Currently says delivery in “Dec 2022” though no actual VIN yet. My current car drives fine but is 10ys old, 150k miles and guessing will have expensive repairs in upcoming years. Calculate will save about $3-4k annual saving charging over gas.

But over the last year have watched the car lose feature after feature. Beyond the chronic panel gaps/finish issues which don’t surprise anyone anymore. Now USS, LIDAR, exclusive supercharger access, even passenger lumbar support. With each loss of feature, seem to cone with several weeks of angst by customers, followed by gradual “acceptance” that the feature removal is “for their own good”. Test drove the car and was hard to ignore the plastics/amorphous seats/etc. lacked some “luxury” features my 14 year old acura has.

Realize this forum has a select group of like-minded people with similar perspective. But must not be the only person who is frustrated that this isn’t the amazing car they envisioned.

What am I missing?
I actually own a Tesla Model Y. It’s a superb car. I’m never going back to ICE. My Y doesn’t have ”chronic“ panel gaps. What you are missing is all the awards Tesla cars are getting. The new colors look fantastic.

1670338575754.jpeg

My 2 cents:

We were debating getting a BMW iX (or maybe the Hyundai) but went with the Y.

Something we didn't think about much was the charging network. I recently went on a few long trips and the Tesla was pretty much seamless. I could not have done the trip in the BMW as easily. I know it's been said in previous posts but this makes the other vehicles a deal-breaker for me. The easy access to fast chargers were amazing.

Up here in the frozen north (-42C today, or -42f essentially lol) we don't have the greatest non-tesla charging network so planning long trips would take more effort, and likely longer trip times.

Have a bit of dilemma. Been planning on getting a Tesla for a few years after my current car dies. With the series of price hikes last year, got spooked and placed the order for a 7seater MYLR in July. Had a far fetched idea that 4680 battery would push range over 400 miles and make up for the cost/lack of luxury finishes. Currently says delivery in “Dec 2022” though no actual VIN yet. My current car drives fine but is 10ys old, 150k miles and guessing will have expensive repairs in upcoming years. Calculate will save about $3-4k annual saving charging over gas.

But over the last year have watched the car lose feature after feature. Beyond the chronic panel gaps/finish issues which don’t surprise anyone anymore. Now USS, LIDAR, exclusive supercharger access, even passenger lumbar support. With each loss of feature, seem to cone with several weeks of angst by customers, followed by gradual “acceptance” that the feature removal is “for their own good”. Test drove the car and was hard to ignore the plastics/amorphous seats/etc. lacked some “luxury” features my 14 year old acura has.

Realize this forum has a select group of like-minded people with similar perspective. But must not be the only person who is frustrated that this isn’t the amazing car they envisioned.

What am I missing?
Hi--it's a quandary. We have a Tesla Model 3, 2020, Long range and paid for the FSD--wouldn't suggest you do that. The things Ilove are charging at home and the easily accessible Tesla Chargers--super and second level we have found at national parks. I use the Cruise Control 90 % of the time. We mainly do short hauls to town and back --40miles. But have done longe rroad trips .
I enjoy using the mileage adjustor on the steering wheel--and no brake or acceleration. Feels more civilized and trnquil Did a two hour turn on a NM highway, very curvy and full of big logging trucks trying to get around me. I used the mileage adjustor the entire time--never braked --and did just fine, even with the 25 mph curves. It's a different experience and I don't think I can go back to gas vehicles.
Did have a couple quirky car responses: one where the car jerked control from me and went abruptly to the right, for a few seconds, due to a weird waviness in the highway finish. But, overall, very happy.
It's not as comfortable a ride as we would like. You can feel the bumps in the roadway.

Reactions: Watts_Up and cdub
Hi--it's a quandary. We have a Tesla Model 3, 2020, Long range and paid for the FSD--wouldn't suggest you do that. The things Ilove are charging at home and the easily accessible Tesla Chargers--super and second level we have found at national parks. I use the Cruise Control 90 % of the time. We mainly do short hauls to town and back --40miles. But have done longe rroad trips .
I enjoy using the mileage adjustor on the steering wheel--and no brake or acceleration. Feels more civilized and trnquil Did a two hour turn on a NM highway, very curvy and full of big logging trucks trying to get around me. I used the mileage adjustor the entire time--never braked --and did just fine, even with the 25 mph curves. It's a different experience and I don't think I can go back to gas vehicles.
Did have a couple quirky car responses: one where the car jerked control from me and went abruptly to the right, for a few seconds, due to a weird waviness in the highway finish. But, overall, very happy.
It's not as comfortable a ride as we would like. You can feel the bumps in the roadway.
Interesting. Don’t think FSD is in the budget. Mostly a commuter car, but wouldn’t mind letting it take over in stop and go freeway traffic.

Reactions: Jane4
My 2 cents:

We were debating getting a BMW iX (or maybe the Hyundai) but went with the Y.

Something we didn't think about much was the charging network. I recently went on a few long trips and the Tesla was pretty much seamless. I could not have done the trip in the BMW as easily. I know it's been said in previous posts but this makes the other vehicles a deal-breaker for me. The easy access to fast chargers were amazing.

Up here in the frozen north (-42C today, or -42f essentially lol) we don't have the greatest non-tesla charging network so planning long trips would take more effort, and likely longer trip times.
Would you have made the same decision if the charging network was open to non-Tesla?

Interesting. Don’t think FSD is in the budget. Mostly a commuter car, but wouldn’t mind letting it take over in stop and go freeway traffic.
Even when driving around town versus highway driving,
FSD is a very relaxing feature, especially after a busy day at work, or on a raining day.
The car always stays in the middle of its lane, while you would otherwise quickly get eyestrain doing so.