Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Selling my F-150 Raptor for Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@eisenb11

This is totally off topic, but as an owner of the tesla model 3 myself (and a "convert" from 15 ish years of only BMWs in the garage for my wife and I, thats a heck of a stable you have there in the "prior" category in your signature! I get a big kick out of the number of german car fans who have model 3s and seem to like them.

Although it is tons of fun drinking beer and changing break pads and roters,
it may be more fun drinking beer and looking at one of the fastest production
cars on the planet. Sorry gota run, an off topic mod would say going to happy
hour. Maybe its me.

I’m 6’2” and 225lbs. My Stealth Performance Model 3 gives me more headroom (and more room in general) than my 2016 Honda Accord or my 2008 SRT-8 Charger SuperBee. And even better, I don’t have to recline the seat at all to get adequate head room. I can recline just ‘cause I want to, not because I have to.

You have quite a bit of height/size on me, though, so it’ll be interesting to get your thoughts on it.

@eisenb11

This is totally off topic, but as an owner of the tesla model 3 myself (and a "convert" from 15 ish years of only BMWs in the garage for my wife and I, thats a heck of a stable you have there in the "prior" category in your signature! I get a big kick out of the number of german car fans who have model 3s and seem to like them.

Thanks for the compliments!

I was doing some digging on the web a few weeks back - the Model 3 is almost the same size as the current generation of BMW M3 which, by extension, means it should be pretty close to the rest of the 3 series as well. I think this puts the Model 3 in a good spot where a lot of BMW/Mercedes owners would cross shop with it.

Currently, Tesla owns the EV market - I think the only other mass market EV I'd consider is the Porsche Taycan, but it's a lot more expensive and even bigger than the Model 3. Now if only they would electrify the 911 series... drool...

Reactions: jjrandorin
Several years ago, I had the opportunity to ride in a P85D, and I was blown away! And, I've owned several fast performance cars in my life. However, I didn't pay much attention to anything other than the 0-60 time, including how well I fit in the car.

I'm a tall/big guy (6'8"/350 lbs.), so I typically daily drive full size trucks for the extra room. I absolutely love my F-150 Raptor, but I am still drawn to Teslas, especially now that I have Tesla solar/Powerwalls. My solar is expected to produce an excess of 7,000 to 8,000 kWh annually, so it should be good for 20,000 miles of EV use per year, which is just about what I drive.

I'm considering all Tesla vehicles, but the Model 3 seems to be the best bang for your buck, especially when it comes to having the newest tech (fastest charging, phone as key, etc.). I see that most Model 3 owners came from a sedan. Has anyone come from a full size truck or SUV, or high performance full size truck or SUV (Raptor, Trackhawk, etc.)? Any regrets?

My primary concern is that I won't fit comfortably (scheduling a test drive soon), but I am also concerned that the performance and tech will become a little boring after driving it for a while. I'm also concerned about reliability... I would like this vehicle to last at least 8 years and 160,000 miles with decent reliability.

you will fit very comfortably in the car. The model 3 obviously wont have the same presence on the road while you i.e. park it to go shopping. But mother nature will thank you.

You need to try it yourself. I gave my buddy who is 6' 6" a ride in mine and although he had headroom, he said he could never drive it or he would kill someone. His eyes were at the level of the cross member above the windshield, so he couldn't see anything further than 50-100ft out from the car. I'm 6' but have a longer torso and also find the location of the top of the windshield a little low, although I can still see the road fully.

You need to try it yourself. I gave my buddy who is 6' 6" a ride in mine and although he had headroom, he said he could never drive it or he would kill someone. His eyes were at the level of the cross member above the windshield, so he couldn't see anything further than 50-100ft out from the car. I'm 6' but have a longer torso and also find the location of the top of the windshield a little low, although I can still see the road fully.

that doesnt make any sense. Im 6 foot 2 and have an insane amount of headroom. At least 2 fists. have you put the seat to the bottom?

Reactions: Payjack
I came from a Raptor. Miss it a lot and how quiet it was, but I am happy with my M3P. It really is the best bang for the buck. Performance, technology, and safety are what I purchased it for. That being said I can't wait for the new Bronco Warthog to come out and/or the new Raptors. I do have a reservation for a Cybertruck tri motor. At your size, if you really want a Tesla I would wait for the Cybertruck tri motor. As it will be a great replacement for the Raptor and Raptors hold their value well enough for you to hold on to it a little longer.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I still own a 2010 Tundra with all the offroad goodies and it barely gets driven since I got my first Tesla in 2015. I keep the truck for utility and having owned the S, 3, X, and Y, I’d suggest the X or Y for getting in and out of the vehicle easily. If you want a more comfortable ride, get an X that comes with air suspension. The ride of the Y is a bit choppier with more noise compared to the S and X. Try all 4 before making a decision.

I'm about half your size (in weight) so can't comment on the comfort. However what I would suggest is to rent a model 3 on Turo for a weekend or more. That's the best way to see if it's a fit. The acceleration in the m3p or lr awd w/boost is more than enough
That's how I tried it out for my daughter's wedding. I actually wanted to rent a Porsche for the event and that wasn't accepted
Just make sure that you can home charge the car with a 240v system

that doesnt make any sense. Im 6 foot 2 and have an insane amount of headroom. At least 2 fists. have you put the seat to the bottom?

I wasn't talking about head room, there is plenty of it. I was talking about the location of the beam above the windshield is fairly low compared to other cars (or at least to my previous car). I'm not sure where my seat position is but i think it is at the bottom or close to the bottom. There is a fine balance between having the seat high enough to have reasonable view out the back, and not being too high of blocking some of the view forward (making it hard to see traffic lights while stopped at intersections, etc.)