Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering used model x (2016)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I currently own a model 3 and love it. I'm considering replacing my other car with a used model x for family road trips. I see there are a few 2016 model x on the Tesla website listed for $60-70k. What should I look for before purchasing? Are there any reliability or battery issues with the 2016s? I'm open to waiting for the model y but looks like the 6/7 seater won't be out until 2021.

Hi everyone, I currently own a model 3 and love it. I'm considering replacing my other car with a used model x for family road trips. I see there are a few 2016 model x on the Tesla website listed for $60-70k. What should I look for before purchasing? Are there any reliability or battery issues with the 2016s? I'm open to waiting for the model y but looks like the 6/7 seater won't be out until 2021.

It all comes down to what you're willing to pay.

Generally speaking, avoid an AP1. There's nothing wrong with it, but it will be a huge gap between your TM3 and an AP1 MX. An AP2 MX will largely be the same, but you will miss out on some non-key features. Dashcam recording, video/entertainment items are the main pieces. An AP2.5 (July 2017 build or later) will be the closest to your car.

All of the vehicles use the same type of cells. There were some changes with the cooling in a 100D pack, but that's more pack specific than year specific. The early AP1 models did have some more problems, but AP2 2016 models are better.

FWIW, I sold my AP1 2016 MX75D for $52k. Tesla offered me $50k on that to trade in, they themselves were selling the same car with more mileage for $62k. Carmax offered me $43k. For $60k, I'd want an AP 2.5+. If you manage to snag a used one direct from a private seller for $45k or less, then I personally wouldn't care if it was an older AP.

I bought a CPO MX 2016 P90D with sub 15k mileage last year - I don't think I would do it again.
The mileage - esp in winter - is utter tripe. Even driving slow (50 mph), on the highway, my expected range is only 140-160 miles.
And with AP1, you miss out on all the new OTA stuff which is part of the fun of the car.
The leather seats wrinkle stupid quick and it creaks in places my previous car after 80k.never did.

Having said that, Reliability hasn't been too much of an issue - Teala has fixed all the issues I have had with it.
And the FWD still impresses people constantly.

A 2016 is going to be MCU1 / AP1. For some that is a non-starter.
Glossy seat backs - if you have kids in car seats, expect scuffing/scratches (at least we did in our 6 seater).
Reliability - over 2.5 years, had a poor FWD alignment on delivery and had a window regulator fail. I don't know if they figured out the false sensor detection issues - in our case, if you sat in the 5pm summer sun, the FWD wouldn't open without a long-press.

All told, minor issues in the scheme of things.
Good luck.

Early build Model X's are notorious for their reliability issues and little gremlins that keep popping up. Personally I would avoid anything built before mid-2017.

We have an early production 2016 X, VIN #1101 and no issues. Yes, there are a higher rate of issues with the early production units. However the majority of them are just fine and no 100% guarantee of a perfect car even if you configure a new one today.

As with any CPO / used car purchase, one should fully inspect and test drive for themselves before completing the deal.

Also why Tesla gives a 7 day money back guarantee and I recommend buying used Teslas only from Tesla because then there are options for upgrades, warranty, etc..

Our 2016 X will be in the CPO resale pool in the coming months. We plan to trade in for our Model Y and then re-visit owning a Model X after they do another big update to it. Hoping to see some of the new battery tech and maybe FSD actually up and running by the time we’re ready. Ultimately we plan to own either a Y or an X, maybe both, and the Cybertruck. I would keep our X longer, but trade-in is still favorable and shouldn’t be too far off from purchase price of our Y based on the quote they gave me when I almost traded in for a Raven. But with AP1.0 and not upgradable, we’re watching resale and trade value fall rapidly so I think it’s time for it to go. Being a P90D, that does help hold the value up a bit better. The 75D early model X’s values are tanking fast.

Last edited:
FWIW, I sold my AP1 2016 MX75D for $52k. Tesla offered me $50k on that to trade in, they themselves were selling the same car with more mileage for $62k. Carmax offered me $43k. For $60k, I'd want an AP 2.5+. If you manage to snag a used one direct from a private seller for $45k or less, then I personally wouldn't care if it was an older AP.

When was your sale, and assuming it was to a private buyer? Curious to compare to our sale to Vroom one year ago (75D, six-seater, AP1, towing, no biohazard/self-presenting/leather seats/etc).

A 2016 is going to be MCU1 / AP1. For some that is a non-starter.
Glossy seat backs - if you have kids in car seats, expect scuffing/scratches (at least we did in our 6 seater).
Reliability - over 2.5 years, had a poor FWD alignment on delivery and had a window regulator fail. I don't know if they figured out the false sensor detection issues - in our case, if you sat in the 5pm summer sun, the FWD wouldn't open without a long-press.

All told, minor issues in the scheme of things.
Good luck.

Gotta say this post made me a bit nervous. Am scheduled to do the same thing next week, that is pick up a 2016 P90D MX.
The range in winter, is definitely not ideal, as do not want to charge for under 250km trip, which is what it takes to get to the ski hill here (direct with no stops). Also the only one I got to drive at a dealership in town, would squeak annoyingly near constantly. Made me realize a test drive would be so nice, before buying!

The AP1 does not bother me that much, just cannot afford more. I am wondering now though if I should wait a year and get a 100 for likely the same price I paid now.

Tesla being super non-communicative, to the point of frustration, is not helping matters. I only have had contact post deposit on January 25th, as I initiated it after waiting 2 weeks for someone to contact me.

The one number for immediate assistance literally would lead you to nowhere after selecting Canadian delivery option in the phone menu.

the major reason I want to do thing now is to decrease carbon footprint. Oh my, decisions, deciiosns.

I bought a CPO MX 2016 P90D with sub 15k mileage last year - I don't think I would do it again.
The mileage - esp in winter - is utter tripe. Even driving slow (50 mph), on the highway, my expected range is only 140-160 miles.
And with AP1, you miss out on all the new OTA stuff which is part of the fun of the car.
The leather seats wrinkle stupid quick and it creaks in places my previous car after 80k.never did.

Having said that, Reliability hasn't been too much of an issue - Teala has fixed all the issues I have had with it.
And the FWD still impresses people constantly.

sorry quoted wrong post above, and cannot insert a quote on an edit it seems.

All depends on your budget, but a good rule of thumb is to buy as much range as you can afford. The older X's are lacking on updated technology as others have put it.

@Ocelot, don't do it, the X90D will make you hate life with it's limited range in colder weather. My commutes are under 5 miles each way, varying speeds from 15-65 mph. I can start out with 205 miles and only put about 60-80 miles on it before I need to charge the car (I take it down to around 40 miles before I become uncomfortable). I don't have enough data to support any range claim if you have a longer commute.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
Gotta say this post made me a bit nervous. Am scheduled to do the same thing next week, that is pick up a 2016 P90D MX.
The range in winter, is definitely not ideal, as do not want to charge for under 250km trip, which is what it takes to get to the ski hill here (direct with no stops). Also the only one I got to drive at a dealership in town, would squeak annoyingly near constantly. Made me realize a test drive would be so nice, before buying!

The AP1 does not bother me that much, just cannot afford more. I am wondering now though if I should wait a year and get a 100 for likely the same price I paid now.

Tesla being super non-communicative, to the point of frustration, is not helping matters. I only have had contact post deposit on January 25th, as I initiated it after waiting 2 weeks for someone to contact me.

The one number for immediate assistance literally would lead you to nowhere after selecting Canadian delivery option in the phone menu.

the major reason I want to do thing now is to decrease carbon footprint. Oh my, decisions, deciiosns.
I put down my deposit on the same day as you and I took delivery yesterday. Knowing Tesla, I would just push and push again until someone responds. I placed an order on another X before this one and the car came in really beat up, so I passed even though it had way lower mileage. But I'm certainly enjoying my 75D MX so far. All the frustration goes away once you get your car, so don't give up just yet.
For me, I'm okay with the limited range on the smaller battery packs. I only drive around locally and I needed the space more than the range. For longer trips, like ski trips you mentioned, I take my M3 LR. But if I didn't have another car that's suitable for longer trips, it'd be a different story. So it really depends on your situation

Reactions: Ocelot
I have a very early 2016 and my only real big issue has been knocking in the front struts. They have replaced them twice and the Model S forum is full of people with the same issue.

All other issues were solved by Tesla and are "one and done" and quite truthfully I had very few. I rarely use AP1 on my car but do use the TACC which works as well as a 2020 Raven IMHO. My fit and finish is as good as newer cars and even better than many. By buying used you have the chance to inspect that aspect where if you bought new you are kind of stuck with what comes.

I would stay away from the P's and also get a 90 because the bigger the better. If the shiny black seats are a concern you can put some clear or mat wrap on them yourself.

After driving a Model 3, you will see that the Model X is way less efficient, like it uses double the electricity to go the same distance. Seeing all the spy photos, I would recommend pre-ordering a Model Y. It's looking to be almost as large as an X and will have all the latest tech - More efficient drive-train, AP3, MCU2, 250kW Supercharging - all important things if you're serious about road trips.

After driving a Model 3, you will see that the Model X is way less efficient, like it uses double the electricity to go the same distance..
Sadly, I concur with this comment. I had the M3 prior to the X and the 3 was super efficient, but that's to be expected from a car that weighs around 2K lbs less.

The 3 and the X just aren't in the same category when making a true comparison though.