Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting a scrambled partial screen about once a week on my 10/2015 Model S. Tesla service states this is unrelated to the eMMC issue and not covered as part of warranty. What do you think?

View attachment 627565

That is exactly the type of behaviour I have had from my screen, each time following a software update. A reset has typically cleared it, but it has left me wary of using 'pin to drive'.

Maybe I’m just to lazy to go through all the pages here and read them all but here’s what I’m up against. My car was in to service 12/22. Due to consistent reboots while driving. They came back and said that the firmware was bad and that they loaded specific firmware from the engineers for this issue. I pick up car 12/23 and drive home. 12/24 we get into the car to leave and the screen is black but we can drive. It was daylight and not raining so we drove. Took about 7 minutes to come up after several colors of screens. I parked the car and did a hard reboot just in case thinking maybe service didn’t do that after said firmware update.

the following week happened again in the dark while driving on the freeway with AP engaged. Got the red hands alert and AP disengaged along with a notice that AP was unavailable for the rest of the drive. I go to turn up the air. Lights go off (in the dark) and screen goes blank. 9 minutes later the screen is back up. Rinse and repeat the following week.

in addition many mornings I’ll go out and the MCU Is black but will have to sit for several minutes waiting for it to boot up so I can drive.

When I scheduled my appointment I have them all this info. Every time it happens after I have them the info via message in the app. Car went in yesterday and today they tell me they can pull any logs prior to 1/9 so Um thanks for coming in but the car is ok. (Being sarcastic) can they really not pull logs except for the previous 10 days and how would y’all handle this? I don’t understand why logs weren’t pulled before today b

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Maybe I’m just to lazy to go through all the pages here and read them all but here’s what I’m up against. My car was in to service 12/22. Due to consistent reboots while driving. They came back and said that the firmware was bad and that they loaded specific firmware from the engineers for this issue. I pick up car 12/23 and drive home. 12/24 we get into the car to leave and the screen is black but we can drive. It was daylight and not raining so we drove. Took about 7 minutes to come up after several colors of screens. I parked the car and did a hard reboot just in case thinking maybe service didn’t do that after said firmware update.
the following week happened again in the dark while driving on the freeway with AP engaged. Got the red hands alert and AP disengaged along with a notice that AP was unavailable for the rest of the drive. I go to turn up the air. Lights go off (in the dark) and screen goes blank. 9 minutes later the screen is back up. Rinse and repeat the following week.

in addition many mornings I’ll go out and the MCU Is black but will have to sit for several minutes waiting for it to boot up so I can drive.

When I scheduled my appointment I have them all this info. Every time it happens after I have them the info via message in the app. Car went in yesterday and today they tell me they can pull any logs prior to 1/9 so Um thanks for coming in but the car is ok. (Being sarcastic) can they really not pull logs except for the previous 10 days and how would y’all handle this? I don’t understand why logs weren’t pulled before today b

I would report this experience to NHTSA.

3F77B578-94E6-4F66-9573-0A4C8E140222.png

This is typically the result of an FPGA failure, which is on the main MCU board and not the tegra.

With that said, my MCU (under warranty) has exhibited the same symptoms several times (spewing FPGA errors in the logs), and to date, tesla has refused to replace any hardware and has only done "software" fixes (including manually re-flashing the FPGA firmware, which usually happens every time an MCU FW update happens anyways).
If Tesla is being forced to replace the MCU1 for bad eMMC chips, I bet that bad FPGA replacements aren’t far behind since the car is equally degraded.

Tesla charged me for a (presumably FPGA) reflash as I.am over 50,000 miles and passed on the extended warranty. Then when the blank screen continued they made me remove my thumb drive. Now they just ask me to schedule service (for which they don’t want me to come in) so that they can pull the logs. One thing for sure, I am not paying for another FPGA flash or probably anything else short of an MCU2 upgrade.

On a related note, are the free tuner retrofits only going to previous full price upgrades? I assume for $1500 nobody has gotten a tuner included.

If Tesla is being forced to replace the MCU1 for bad eMMC chips, I bet that bad FPGA replacements aren’t far behind since the car is equally degraded.

Tesla charged me for a (presumably FPGA) reflash as I.am over 50,000 miles and passed on the extended warranty. Then when the blank screen continued they made me remove my thumb drive. Now they just ask me to schedule service (for which they don’t want me to come in) so that they can pull the logs. One thing for sure, I am not paying for another FPGA flash or probably anything else short of an MCU2 upgrade.

On a related note, are the free tuner retrofits only going to previous full price upgrades? I assume for $1500 nobody has gotten a tuner included.

hey Krash, has your eMMC been done?

Fwiw
My car was at service for two days for black screen and driving reboots. “The daughterboard and Emmc are not degraded and functioning within spec” then I was told verbally that it’s all firmware related and that I should just reboot the car. But if I wanted to upgrade to mcu2 they can do that today.

I will likely do it. But not until this is resolved with nhtsa. Or my btb warranty expires whichever comes first.

Reactions: FlatSix911
No. They said my “eMMC is not yet at the end of its life”.

Ok, that makes sense. I thought I was reading an issue about someone with a repaired eMMC and is still having problems. I am not a computer guy and have no idea about what all this FPGA flash business is about.

I don't mean to put you on the spot here, but are you speculating that in the near future there is another part in the MCU1 (FPGA) that will need repairing/replacing? Any evidence yet? @appleguru do you have any input on this?

Does anyone know or have any idea if the MCU2 has the same "FPGA parts"?

Thinking out loud here now, but like so many others I am pondering the MCU2 update, but I have a 64bit eMMC already, I have LTE, and I have just replaced my cluster screen glass, as I had some bubbles starting a few months ago. Essentially MCU2 would just be getting me a faster Nav/map experience and Youtube and Netflix. Don't care about anything else, and I don't find the Nav/maps slow enough to bother me. If I hadn't done all of this it would be a no-brainer.

So maybe wait until the MCU1 has other issues, and then update to MCU2, but if the MCU2 will eventually have the same issues down the road.....

We have started to see other issues on the mcu1. Touch screen. WiFi Bluetooth module. Fpga. At some point Mcu2 replacement is probably much more cost effective than repairing mcu1 as it breaks down. Plus side is that most who did a cheaper mcu1 fix can get a overall Mcu2 upgrade for a decent price since Mcu2 is coming down. In the early days Mcu2 was not even an option.

...I thought I was reading an issue about someone with a repaired eMMC and is still having problems....

@dark cloud, your memory serves you well. Yes, there's been more than one report of problems after eMMC daughterboard replacements. I recall at least one that the SC went further according to the owner was replacing the MCU1.

I remember at least three, could be there was more. But with these problems, I don't remember seeing a return posts by the owners that their's was fixed. So, I think yes, there could be some that don't easily fix with daughterboard. And I don't recall how they were fixed. But its not many - that's good news.