Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, that makes sense. I thought I was reading an issue about someone with a repaired eMMC and is still having problems.

There are other people, but I am someone who has had their daughter board replaced and I still have issues of corrupted graphics, freezes and reboots. Just went on a trip yesterday and had 1 reboot as soon as I stopped the car, got out and got back in.... then had it freeze up and no turn signal noise after a supercharger session, had to reboot while driving to get functionality back.

My eMMC daughter board was just replaced and I found that it seems to require several MCU reboots before it remembers your settings. After recreating my settings (home link, wifi, charging time and amps, etc) I found some of them changed after a reboot. Same thing happened again with some of my settings, so I had to recreate them again. All settings now seem to be stable after the 4th reboot (so far).

My eMMC daughter board was just replaced and I found that it seems to require several MCU reboots before it remembers your settings. After recreating my settings (home link, wifi, charging time and amps, etc) I found some of them changed after a reboot. Same thing happened again with some of my settings, so I had to recreate them again. All settings now seem to be stable after the 4th reboot (so far).
I've found settings change recently will disappear upon reboot even without eMMC replacement. Mainly, if I get in the car in the morning and a streaming song is about half way through, and I listen to a couple songs, then reboot, it returns to the song it was playing when I got in. I've seen Drive Mode (chill, sport, Ludicrous) that was recently changed revert in this manner also.

There's probably a cron job that runs every so often (I don't know the interval and haven't tested) that flushes recent changes to the eMMC instead of writing immediately.

This may be one way Tesla has tried to reduce eMMC writes to prolong its longevity.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
There's probably a cron job that runs every so often (I don't know the interval and haven't tested) that flushes recent changes to the eMMC instead of writing immediately.

This may be one way Tesla has tried to reduce eMMC writes to prolong its longevity.
Your theory makes sense if a crash caused the restart, but I would expect an orderly restart would first save all settings to to the eMMC. However, if you're correct, the rule should be to wait xx minutes after making any setting changes before rebooting.

You can also do a few factory resets, one day at a time. It takes a few tries to purge out all the corrupt old data.

You can also do a few factory resets, one day at a time. It takes a few tries to purge out all the corrupt old data.
All my settings now seem to be "sticking" but I can't get my iPhone app to unlock the car or open the frunk or trunk. The app can do everything else including lock the car. After some forum searching, I'm suspecting the SC failed to do a "Reset MCU Command Key" from their "Toolbox", so I've got an email into the SC.

I'm surprised how painful the eMMC replacement process is. It seems like it should be easy to capture all the settings so the customer drives out with the vehicle fully configured the same way that they drove in.

All my settings now seem to be "sticking" but I can't get my iPhone app to unlock the car or open the frunk or trunk. The app can do everything else including lock the car. After some forum searching, I'm suspecting the SC failed to do a "Reset MCU Command Key" from their "Toolbox", so I've got an email into the SC.

I'm surprised how painful the eMMC replacement process is. It seems like it should be easy to capture all the settings so the customer drives out with the vehicle fully configured the same way that they drove in.
They need to update your key file, it didnt seem to get migrated. They should be able to do it OTA. Or the migrated one could have gotten corrupted and invalid.

They need to update your key file, it didnt seem to get migrated. They should be able to do it OTA. Or the migrated one could have gotten corrupted and invalid.
Apparently something has changed with the MCU software. Maybe increased security measures? The SC diagnostic team says "We are unable to complete the reset remotely anymore". They said a mobile appointment is now required. They'll be here on Monday.

Lemme take a stab. This is pure conjecture from a guy with mucho programming experience but no direct knowledge of this code except as owner. This code base has had about 10 years of development, and I’d guess code volume excluding AP has quadrupled. With AP, probably 10x. It now supports 4 models and at least 3 hardware platforms. The design included lots of asynchronous tasks and an EMMC “stash” used throughout the code for state related data. Most code aspires to be stateless, but state sneaks in. Asynchronous tasks are not supposed to be dependent on other tasks’ state, but they often are. In this situation, wiping the EMMC has tentacles everywhere that asynchronous timing dependencies and state dependencies have snuck in.

The tech at the SC is not a programmer, so he is told to swing the chicken around his head 3 times clockwise, then reset, then if that doesn’t work to clear everything, try counter clockwise, then 4 times. That’s why they can’t do remote. And why they can’t explain it to you.

It’s kind of a miracle this is going as smoothly as it is.

PS it is not uncommon to accidentally hit something with the chicken.

Last edited:
Senior MCU support tech is now on-site. Drop your chickens. No stinkin' asynchronous stateless tasks are getting past this guy!

witch doctor.jpg

Tesla Mobile Tech just left. After an hour on his laptop and phone, he was not able to solve the problem, so I still can't unlock the car or open the trunk or frunk using the iPhone app. Everything else works. He said that a higher level technician was required to get this job done, which means I'll need to bring it in to the Service Center, again.

Tesla Mobile Tech just left. After an hour on his laptop and phone, he was not able to solve the problem, so I still can't unlock the car or open the trunk or frunk using the iPhone app. Everything else works. He said that a higher level technician was required to get this job done, which means I'll need to bring it in to the Service Center, again.

@Bill D, connectivity is one of the long list of things that fails when the eMMC is dying. Go back to the first post in this thread. Its on the list. Nearly all the "things" that fail or stop functioning are Services. In this case is sounds like the remote connectivity to your car is failing/failed. I think you are going to start seeing other services stop and fail.

*** If your the original owner and under 100K miles you should qualify for free replacement ***

What vehicles are covered under this Warranty Adjustment Program?

This Warranty Adjustment Program covers vehicles equipped with the 8GB eMMC for 8 years from the date of delivery to its original owner or 100,000 total odometer miles, whichever comes first (the “Warranty Adjustment Program period”), subject to the terms of the original Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. To be eligible for the Warranty Adjustment Program, your vehicle’s 8GB eMMC must be experiencing a malfunction due to accumulated wear during the Warranty Adjustment Program period. A vehicle inspection and diagnosis by Tesla Service, upon experiencing the symptoms outlined above, can confirm your vehicle’s eligibility.

Warranty Adjustment Program

We starting a new thread with all the important information up top to make it easier for people and links to all the important threads. We will be maintain information on this page so people don't have to read 100’s of post to get the information needed.

***** Tesla replacement daughterboard currently does not work in 2012-2014 cars with original MCU, I dont have the exact 2014 cutoff. If you already had a replacement MCU with the revised version containing 1 plug less, then the board will work. Tesla has 2 versions of the daughterboard. The are only producing the more current one for replacement. Anyone who attempts to get this replacement will likey have lack of GPS and Sound if they are able to get the board running in the car. This will then lead to MCU replacement required. Our chip upgrade does not face this issue since we dont change board versions. ******

Also Tesla does appear to have switched to a 64 GB Micron Memory chip, we also have the same memory chip available for upgrade.

TMC Vendor eMMC repair providers:
East Coast / US: @appleguru
West Coast / US: @EV-Fixme , run by @TonyT , @Rockwell and @kyleT
Europe: @LuckyLuke

We started this journey working on our own cars, and now we are able to offer a great upgrade to address an issue that effects over 300k S/X's to help your car last much longer! We have saved nearly 400 cars now, and that number increases daily!

The center screen (MCU) contains a "memory chip" that has a limited life. 2012-early 2018 S/X are all effected. The chip will last 2-10 years on average. When it dies, your car will loose a lot of functionality, the screen goes black.

The best time for this upgrade is BEFORE your MCU fails. If you already see signs, please contact us for help. Even if your not seeing signs and you believe your MCU is more than several years old, get the upgrade before your files have a chance of being lost.

Starting June 15, 2020 we will offer full service Tegra removal and Auto Trunks and Frunks in Bay area CA with @kyleT along with our OC location! :D I know some people have been waiting for this moment, we are so excited! Contact us directly @EV-Fixme, there are still a couple members available for help also in NorCal so feel free to use the list at the bottom

For additional MCU removal help, we have noticed some Superchargers have mobile rangers hanging out to help owners with issues. Try hiring one to remove the MCU if you need help, reinstall is easier, or get their number and have them put it back for you.

For a modem upgrade, per @tpoltron suggestion you can drive into SC and have them install it while your Tegra is being repaired, since car is disassembled he was able to get discount on labor, you might also be able to. 3G is likely to go away in several years, so good chance to upgrade. We have been hearing LTE modems are no longer sold. :(

IMPORTANT! Recently we have noticed a much higher rate of eMMC with no data to recover. If you are planning to have your chip replaced, do not do the following:
· Try rebooting after it goes black
· Call/message/text/whatever Tesla for assistance
Leave it as is, and have it removed for repair ASAP. Also reminder preventive is the best as soon as you see signs shown or any other strange glitch you report to us.
If you do those things, we can still likely recover for you. We ask people not to perform those steps to get the best chances. We have about a 90% recovery rate overall.

Early preventive maintenance is best as the chip can be completely cloned and all settings and history is restored on the new chip and the only noticeable difference is the glitching is gone and many report the MCU is faster. Please share this information with your friends, friends don't let friend's MCU die. :) We have noticed chips become unreadable to us with as little as 1500 write cycles and as much as 5000 write cycles. This means as new as a 2017 MCU. It's also possible for newer ones to fail. With a small exception of a very small number of cars, eMMC replacement has fixed all their issues, just a small handful had additional issues which we also help fix. Here is a video you can watch and share about the issue.

Some benefits of early preventive maintenance:
· Increased speed of MCU performance
· Reduced risk of unexpected MCU failure
· Working internet browser (many have reported browser working much better, some sites remain unusable)
· Less MCU glitching (more stable)

Starting early 2020 our upgrade uses a 32 gig Swissbit chip running in 16 gig pslc mode to get much longer life, replacing the original 8 gig chip and extending life about 14 times! Other sizes are available on request.

I realize this post is getting long, but there is a lot of IMPORTANT information if you are doing the removal by yourself. If your missing a step you can find yourself with a DEAD 12V battery and unable to open your car doors. All of this can be avoided.

Signs of failure:
· Center display (MCU) is black and wont power on
· Center display black, but mcu still running
· Bluetooth connection drops
· 3G/LTE connection lost frequently where signal should be good
· Maps drawing slow
· Nav warning of no traffic data, when you can see your connected to internet
· MCU unresponsive
· MCU reboot randomly
· Stuttering streaming music (cached on eMMC)
· Stuttering AM/FM radio
· Age, the eMMC has a finite amounts of writes available (3000 cycles)
· MCU needs reboot daily to function without crashing
· Radio pausing every few seconds
· Voice command failing to work
· Browser not working
· Bluetooth and wifi not working together
· Trip counters not adding mileage
· Navigation unable to function

First thing to do, before anything else, if your seeing signs of failure, remove USB stick you may have for music or video storage. I've read reports of people not being able to boot up properly with USB stick in.

To delay the inevitable:
· Delete trip history
· Do not stream music from Spotify or Slacker
· Park the car in a cool spot (Shady or Underground)
· Turn on cabin heat protection (car only cools for 6 hours)
· Turn off always connected
· Turn off Satalite view on map
· Turn off data share
· Forget WIFI networks
· Remove USB data devices

Most of these things are good to do if your seeing signs so you don't get stuck with open roof, car that cant charge, or car that cant drive.
Preparation for repair:
· Stop installing updates on car till after eMMC is upgraded
· Stop using the sunroof
· Remove PIN2Drive
· Remove charging schedules
· Set IC (instrument cluster) screen to comfortable brightness for night a daytime use.
· Set headlights on auto
· Charge your car up to 80-90%
· Test you can charge and SuperCharge before shipping your eMMC in the mail. (We have seen a couple cars that can only charge to 21% battery then stop charging.)
· Remove Charging limits
· If you have any issues, contact us before send a Tegra.
· Decide who you want to ship with, (make sure to insure for MCU replacement value since a lost tegra means you need to replace MCU at Service Center)
· Have anti-static bag ready to hold the Tegra (it's about the size of most people's palm) Like this 5x9 size bag https://www.amazon.com/3-93X5-9in-Resealable-Antistatic-Varieties-Electronic/dp/B07TXD47PZ
· Watch the video a couple times to know where to pry the trim loose, do not pry on the visible edges, the trim can chip.
· Be gentle with the ribbon cable connectors, a couple people ripped the connector off the board, 1 was repairable, 1 was not.
Removal Process:
· Specific X MCU removal tips Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen), Thx @Solarman004 and Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen) Make sure to read both so you dont have to do extra work.
·
our video showing how to remove mcu and many tips and detailed shots for people removing it the first time.
· Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1 Has video with good information how to remove MCU from dash, special note about the ic screws
o Most of the screws on the dash are T20, the 4 securing the MCU are T25
· Replacing instrument cluster This ic removal thread helps you safely open dash to access MCU minimizing chance of aluminum trim damage.
· Opening the MCU
(video is about LTE upgrade but Tegra is right next to it)
· Special tools you may need:
o Micro Torx set with sizes t6-9 (most likely used in the mcu) So far we have seen 6,7, and 8. Some have all t8 Husky 8-in-1 Precision Torx Screwdriver Set-70381H - The Home Depot
o Inflating air tool to prevent dash damage https://www.lowes.com/pd/Calculated...ltIGBq75hD5YQP5CgZQaAi2tEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
· Cover the aluminum dash trim with masking tape.
· Fold a towel to and place over the vent behind the aluminum to help prevent scratching the dash aluminum
· Completed LED Headlight Retrofit & My P85 Build Thread Great trim removal details!
· Roll down your windows! If you remove all power you won't be able to get into the car from the outside easily. Just in case you accidentally close a door. Also prevents glass and trim damage if someone opens door while battery is removed.
· Have a 12v battery tender on hand as it might be a few days while the eMMC cards get shipped around (connect this to charge the battery while you work on removing the MCU, 2 post behind the nose cone of the car. Look for the red and black, Tesla moved things around at least once so verify color
· Don't work on any electronics on carpet or anything that can make static. ESD mat for grounding is recommended
· Have anti-static bags to ship the Tegra chip with (We received one without a anti-static bag and nothing was recoverable, not sure if related, but don't risk it)
· Fuse removal to turn off mcu, only 1 fuse is removed from below options depending on when you car was built
o Remove fuse 51 for classic cars View attachment 505023 By wipers, need to remove cover in frunk, on the main cross beam by the air tank if you have air suspension, its next to another fuse box that look very similar, this is not the fuse box that runs diagonal in the frunk, there are 3 fuse boxes.
o If not found above remove fuse F235 View attachment 505022 Next to kick panel on right side, need to remove door sill plate.
· Contact me for additional documentation for removal if needed
· Remove 6 T20 screws to remove aluminum trim around MCU
· Remove 12 T25 screws to remove the LCD from frame
o Remove the 3 connections from screen to main board (open very carefully looking inside, best to have help)
o Big Black plug with 10 wires, press the black clip and pull the plug
o Small ribbon cable, VERY gently pull up the black connector and flip back then VERY gently remove cable, I've seen some people damage the lever or rip the connector from the board.
o Big ribbon cable, press the black tab in the middle and slide the cable out with the connector
· Remove 4 small torx screws on the Tegra board (need micro torx from lowes or similar kit, sizes can be different so be super careful checking fit, we have seen T6-T8)
· Leave heat sink on and send us the board
· Connect ribbons back and replace screws, and put mcu back in dash. 4 screws will secure it
· Disconnect the battery tender, at this point the HV battery and DC2DC converter will maintain the 12V as normal.
· I recommend putting all the panels and dash back in. You will have to remove everything again to put tegra back in. I leave it, but do so at your own risk and don’t follow my bad example.

While your eMMC is dead **(foot note below)
· I don't recommend driving beyond the distance you can travel to and get back, I've seen a car that lost ability to charge to max, and actually limited to about 30% after mcu went black
· Drive after a 30 second timeout
· No AEB (Advanced Emergency Braking)
· No controlling suspension height
· No manual control of headlight lights
· No blinker sounds
· Steering mode defaults to some setting (e.g. if I have it set to sport, during reboot of MCU is changes to standard or comfort, not sure but I can feel the steering wheel take less effort to turn than my normal sport mode)
· No HVAC (heat, cool, vent)
· No defrosters
· No seat heaters
· No steering wheel heaters
· No radio/streaming
· No app connectivity to control the car
· No ability to see the car charge status from app
· Trip A/B
· Profiles
· User Settings
· Homelink
· Bluetooth pairings
· No rear view camera
· Metric areas may have speed shown in MPH and not KPH so be careful
· Do to a few strange reported charging issues, be CAREFUL driving beyond the ability to get home without charging, (range) since I have seen a car that continued to get less max available range in capacity (Still monitoring the issue)

While your eMMC is being replaced: *(Be careful if you choose to drive, verify your signals are working)
· I do not recommend traveling beyond being able to return home with the charge that is in your car, I've witnessed a car that lost additional max charge capacity after tegra was removed. This has only happened 1 time.
· Turn signals may NOT light up at front, rear, and side. IF YOU CHOOSE TO DRIVE PLEASE USE HAND SIGNALS FOR YOU AREA since that should be the proper procedure for failed turn signal while driving a car. Confirm both signals functional before driving. Hazards may continue to work without signals.
· No AEB (Advanced Emergency Braking)
· Once MCU is reinstalled without tegra, you will be able to start your car
· Drive after a 30 second timeout
· Roll down windows
· Lock and unlock doors, frunk, and trunk via keyfob
· SuperCharge if you have free SuperCharge (IC wont show rate, but range will increase quickly)
· Chademo charge, IC wont show rate and station will show 100% full but car will keep charging.
· AC charge at very slow rate of 2kWH
· Metric areas may have speed shown in MPH and not KPH so be careful
· 12 V socket does not have power
· USB ports do not have power

If your eMMC is corrupt and fails to be recovered, you may lose the following permanently, with most features working again after owner sets once repaired, or wait too long and there is too much corruption:
· No app connectivity to control the car (this may be permanent)
· Trip A/B history
· Profiles previously stored
· User Settings previously stored
· Homelink previously stored
· Bluetooth pairings previously stored

After the repair and reassembly:
· When reassembling the ribbon cables are hard to tell if they are connected solidly. If your screen does not light up, you can check that cable as the MCU will boot, but the screen will not display if it is a little loose. Don't ask me why I know that ;)
· The MCU may reboot a few times, its normal, let it do its thing and go enjoy a cool beverage
· Drive the car around a few feet to make sure GPS is tracking, that little blue antenna connection may not be tight and if loose GPS will not function.
· If you continue to see problems, the corruption may have been copied over, you may need to factory reset it, some cases have needed several reboots and factory resets. (5-6 once a day may be needed)
· Once repair is completed and you did not do preventive maintenance you may want to file a complaint similar to this. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4780378/

Threads with lots of info:
Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1
Preventative eMMC Repair - options
Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)
It's too late, my MCU1 Died....
21% SOC - Charging complete - Limited - After MCU died
Successful data recovery of broken eMMC chip MCU1 The hardest most expensive recovery (this is why you dont want to wait)
Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500 Great post comparing mcu2 speed with a fresh emmc
MCU Failures | Tesla MCU1 failure tracker
MCU1 Flash Memory Analysis and Failures | TeslaTap Great article discussing the issue

Let us know if you need more info about the tools needed.

Special thanks to many members that helped test scenarios and collect information about this issue, we could not have made this post without all the help and support!

Replacement part numbers

Screws holding MCU to dash Quantity 4
Part: BLT,PFLG,TRX,M5x25[08.8]-05
Part Number: 1008884-00-C

Screws holding screen to MCU Quantity 12
Part: SCR,M5X6.PH.TRX25.SST.W/PATCH
Part number: 1010058-00-A

** We are still collecting data on car usage without functional MCU (both blackened/Tegra removed.) We will continue to collect and post information here so people have a central location for the info. AFAIK Service Centers have told people to continue driving their car to the SC when requesting blacked MCU repair. Do to that fact, and us knowing the car will allow you to drive we have collected this information. We do not endorse driving with the MCU black, one should do so at their own risk. Vehicle driving is dangerous at all times. We recommend driving safely at all times regardless the MCU is functional or not.

Our successful testimonials and reviews:
Apologies if I have not captured your review yet, Still going back in time to find them all :)
Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)
Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen) Probably the coolest save we will ever do. However family coming to visit Disney and getting eMMC was pretty epic too!

More reviews and our contact information:
Evfixme - Torrance, CA

For repair:
  • In OC and LA, contact us to schedule to come to our locations if full service is desired. We can also service at customer homes in SD, IE, and Bay Area
  • Leave heat-sink and the shroud on it.
  • Remove the screw and nuts if they came off and keep them.
  • Put Tegra in anti-static bag, and wrap with some bubble wrap. (MAKE SURE TO USE A BOX, like step below)
  • I typically send in the small USPS express box, and throw the box in the flat rate envelope to make sure it's all sealed. insured for your full mcu replacement cost at SC, just in case they loose it or drive over it with a fork lift.

Send to:

• Include note with:
  • Last 6 digits of VIN
  • Current version of software if known (in app)
  • TMC UserName
  • Your name
  • Address
  • phone number/email

Contact us for mailing address

Then send us the tracking number.

I've been hearing a lot of people tell us that the Service Centers can to a MCU replacement till the get inventory, and it's weeks out. If that really is the case people are really going to need help. If you have removed your chip to send to us, or any good MCU repair companies, feel free to use this thread to post a location you can help with removal of Tegra to send out, or post if you need someone to help you with the removal. Friends don't let friends be stuck with dead MCU's.

**Promo** EVFixMe on our own have currently repaired/upgraded about 160's eMMC's to date, 8/1 2020. Help us achieve our revised stretch goal, 1000 eMMC's by Dec 31, 2020. The 1000'th person will get their eMMC upgrade free, including MCU removal from car or next day shipping if it is mail repair.
Tesla Will Not Sell Me LTE Upgrade To Install Myself On Out Of Warranty Vehicle!

Some TMC members who let me know they can help with MCU removal, please contact them to arrange for timing and compensation, Not affiliated with us, but great members who did their removal and willing to help others:
David99 Offering on site removal in OC and parts of socal US tour! Vendor - David99's USA Tesla Center Screen tour, MCU eMMC your chance to have your MCU repaired by the famous David99!
Greyworm Norcal area, CA
djs2000 South Bay Area, CA
StarLog Orlando area, FL
Fjohn Vegas area, NV
Luv2preech West Valley Phoenix, AZ
TARDISvalet Dayton, OH
nomar116 Hawaii
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/members/mods2020.137356/ MD
stakker San Antonio or sometimes Houston
G0dfath3r71 VA, NC, or TN (Nashville and Eastward)
uscgreel East Hampton, NY.

Thanks, nice to see all this in one post/thread. :)
I have had this issue myself in early 2019. Helping others where I can since.

Just adding my experience. MCU1 failures just outside of warranty so i was on the hook for $2010 in april 2020. all the classic failure signs I have a 2016 november delivery, one of the first with the HW2 camera setup. after replacement with remanufactured MCU1 (they said they could not do MCU2 upgrade with no explanation) the remanufactured unit began failing almost immediately with reboots once a week or so, no voice control and dead slow map update, took it in for service and they said the "reflashed the chip" and all was fine. this service call made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE and remanufactured unit crashed as often as the original one.

Tesla will make excuses to not replace your MCU1 with an MCU 2 as it costs them money, they will blame the MCU crashes on absolutely ANY aftermarket installs on the car (stereo, dashcams, usb drives, phones) in order to avoid costs to make this right. SO sorry if your MCU is failing but dont tell me tesla will make good, im two years in to dealing with this and they just donet give a F___ once the sale is made

@Altes, Could not in April 2020? Almost none of the SC's knew it was becoming available then. And their official position was they were only just starting to do AP 2.5 cars in Mar/April 2020 They didn't begin to do AP 2.0 cars until early summer. They made a mistake and accepted mine in to the shop to perform MCU2 in late March. They had it in the SC and broken down before they realized it was AP2.0 not AP2.5. They could have put it back together and given it back, because I was early. However, they ordered the AP2.0 kit (only a cable was different) and fixed it I picked it up on 1 April. Everyone I told that I got it, believed I was pulling an April Fool joke, but so what.?

I just got a recall notice e-mail from Tesla, looks like they are actually doing the recall voluntarily

Body of e-mail

1156d219-dcd3-42b8-8c08-269c2c83e84c.png

Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall.
If a malfunction occurs, you may experience a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen, loss of certain functionalities, and/or a vehicle alert to contact Service. There is no risk to vehicle drivability, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering, and we are not aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from this condition.
If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility. If your vehicle is operating software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose these functionalities. Please ensure that your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release. To find your current software release, complete an update or review a list of possible malfunctions, please visit our Support page. If the touchscreen is unavailable, then please perform a shoulder check and use your mirrors to back up safely.
Additionally, Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC.There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021.
Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.
LEARN MORE
Most Common FAQ
Q: Is my Model S/X affected by this recall?

A: All owners can check if their VIN is affected at either the Tesla VIN Recall Search or the NHTSA VIN Recall Search.
Q: Is my car safe to drive?
A: There is no risk to vehicle drivability if the eMMC malfunctions, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering. But if your vehicle is running software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose access to the rearview backup camera display, exterior turn signal lighting, and access to windshield defogging and defrosting controls. If these functions are not available, drivers can continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using their mirrors, taking care when making turns, and assuring clear visibility when driving.
Q: How can I make an appointment for this recall?
A: If you are the registered owner, the only action you need to take at this time is to confirm that your vehicle is running software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release and, if it is not, to install the newest available release. There is no other immediate action that you need to take at this time, and you may continue to drive your vehicle. We will notify you when replacement parts are available. Until then, please do not schedule a Tesla Service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen.

@Bill D, connectivity is one of the long list of things that fails when the eMMC is dying. Go back to the first post in this thread. Its on the list. Nearly all the "things" that fail or stop functioning are Services. In this case is sounds like the remote connectivity to your car is failing/failed. I think you are going to start seeing other services stop and fail.
My eMMC was replaced two weeks ago. Since it was replaced, my iPhone app can't unlock the car, open the trunk or open the frunk (everything else seems to work). That's the nagging problem Tesla's been struggling with on my car. The mobile tech said I need to take it to the service center again, but I can't get an appointment until March. They say this is something they used to be able to fix OTA but new "security enhancements" have made that no longer possible.

Reactions: Akikiki