Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think Tesla would buy a part from someone and not have the right to make/buy spares?

Does the daughterboard contain just the eMMC chip or does it also hold the processor?
I don't have the answers. I'm not the enemy. I am just asking some questions and putting some things to think about out here.
If the had the permissions to make those why don't SCs have plenty of supplies of them? I don't know either.

Do you mean a further discount beyond the $1000 price drop?
You can get the upgraded eMMC card free.

MCU2 Upgrade stock is in production. The current models cars are still using MCU2. Supply fulfillment for MCU2 looks healthy. The cost to the customer for MCU2 is now $1,500 vice $2,500 last summer/fall. Why did the price fall? Availability of stock? Because its still in production, will there be plenty of MCU2? Did the price come down because of increased volume purchases? Is this a sign the wait for MCU1 parts could be long and the wait for MCU2 upgrades will be short?

Among other things, Tesla won't update your AP computer any more, as a part of the MCU upgrade. They were doing that before for AP2/2.5 cars, which was specially nice for AP2 cars, since it enabled dashcam and sentry mode. So you see from where they are saving $1000.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
It contains the processor as well as a lot of other circuitry/components.

tesla-cars-have-a-memory-problem-that-may-cost-you-much-to-repair.jpg

The arrow points to the eMMC chip.
Great. Thanks for this. Looks like a single board computer (SBC) similar to the $35 Raspberry Pi. Should be easy to crank out 100,000 of these.

Do you have 100k of the Tegra 3 processors siting around? Because my understanding is that they haven't been made in years and there is no stock of them available. (i.e. you can't make new boards.)
I personally don't have these sitting around but I do think that the wizards at Nvidia and Tesla could come up with something. This, after all, is not rocket science. (Musk does do rocket science but that is a different department.)
Your "understanding" may not correspond to reality.

I personally don't have these sitting around but I do think that the wizards at Nvidia and Tesla could come up with something. This, after all, is not rocket science. (Musk does do rocket science but that is a different department.)
Your "understanding" may not correspond to reality.

I think some of our discussions about supply and boards and Tegra processor chips is really - eventually going to be mute. Thankful, we three or four owners here don't have to solve it. :) And I am really glad its not me. I think someone will solve this supply of 64 GB boards. I just think it will take a while before serious numbers are fixed. But I digress. My real reason for jumping in to msphor's post was to try and be clever.

"(Musk does do rocket science but that is a different department.)" EM has said, "its not rocket science, its rocket engineering". (Almost a quote). Gimme a laugh now for my effort - please :)

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike and mspohr
@M0rpH3x, where/how did you learn this? I wonder if they were doing every car anyway. We know they did a lot, but none now? How did you learn this?
Easy. Asked about the AP upgrade in the service center, answer was positive. The price went down. Made an appointment. Asked about this again. The reply was that with the new price, they were not doing it any more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
@M0rpH3x, just in case my words did not explain clearly, I was not doubting you. Just curious what the source was.

I wonder why they were installing HW3 hardware in the first place when the car didn't have FSD? I would guess it was in the hopeful expectation that those already equipped cars would inspire the owner to purchase FSD later. Anyone? Anyone, what's your guess?

@M0rpH3x, just in case my words did not explain clearly, I was not doubting you. Just curious what the source was.

I wonder why they were installing HW3 hardware in the first place when the car didn't have FSD? I would guess it was in the hopeful expectation that those already equipped cars would inspire the owner to purchase FSD later. Anyone? Anyone, what's your guess?
Reduce development team or workload. It must be a PITA to keep all the code for AP2/AP2.5/AP3. There are promises to fulfil in AP2 (for instance, sentry mode/dashcam), if they want to avoid legal action. At some point, I think AP2/2.5 will be abandoned, but for the time being, it's maintained code.

How easy it would be for Tesla developers if everybody had MCU2 + AP3...

Reactions: Akikiki
Since this thread is about eMMC repairs, I have a question: which transfer modes are supported by the eMMC? I guess HS400 won't make the cut, but can we configure the eMMC for HS200? SDR104? SDR52? Anyone knows?

I was dismayed to find that my (OEM) eMMC was configured to work at the slowest possible data rate...

The Dashcam/Sentry features were never promised to AP2 owners...

I suspect that many MCU2 fence-sitters will go ahead and get MCU2 after hearing (if it happens) that the recall does not grant them MCU2 for free. The go in to the SC with a big grin knowing they are saving $1,000 on cost. Then on the other side, when done, they discover how much HW3 helped with dashcam/sentry and that grin will fade.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Reduce development team or workload. It must be a PITA to keep all the code for AP2/AP2.5/AP3. There are promises to fulfil in AP2 (for instance, sentry mode/dashcam), if they want to avoid legal action. At some point, I think AP2/2.5 will be abandoned, but for the time being, it's maintained code.

How easy it would be for Tesla developers if everybody had MCU2 + AP3...
Not necessarily as easy as you think. You are just pushing the complexity downstream. They still have to interface with different generations of sensors and hardware around the car, even if using same MCU and AP controller.

Not necessarily as easy as you think. You are just pushing the complexity downstream. They still have to interface with different generations of sensors and hardware around the car, even if using same MCU and AP controller.
How easy it would be = It would be much easier than now. I'm not saying it's going to be supereasy. But yeah, development would be greatly simplified.

You only need to deal with RCCC vs RCCB cameras, the radar and some redundancy. Actually, for what AP cares, RCCC vs RCCB is just a normalization factor (I really think the B component is just there for eye candy, and that the original decision to go for RCCC was strictly based on sensor performance). So your life becomes much simpler when at least the MCU and the AP computer share the same instruction set (and hence many optimizations).