Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Model S 90D
I got my car back last week and everything seems perfect. Appointment was for 9 am and the car was ready to be picked up at 5pm. Radio sounds Great and I also had to reprogram my home link. All the devices stayed on but had to change rolling codes. Screen is super fast response and honestly excited to get the upgrade for $1900. I usually keep my cars for ten years so I’m excited to have the ability to upgrade. Other car manufacturers would laugh in your face if you asked the same.

Attachments

• E649C16E-27C0-4334-BBCB-275614FC9977.png
    E649C16E-27C0-4334-BBCB-275614FC9977.png
    465.9 KB · Views: 135
That's wonderful. Sounds like its going to be great. Two questions please. And I believe others want to know this too.

1) Adjustment down for price $600 to $1900. Why did they do that? What's the explanation behind that. Others are going to want it.

2) Radio? You mean Turn In or Spotify streaming is providing access to your FM/AM startions? You don't really mean radio.

By the way, this is the second time that someone from Vegas SC has received the $600 price adjustment.

Right @tj1772

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
New eMMC makes a vast improvement on an MCU1 system that is near failure. I was amazed at how fast it is now. Map redraw, route planning, bootup.

And I get to keep my (real) radio. ;) (I live in an area with sketchy cell coverage, so streaming isn't a reliable option).

Reactions: GSP
Well, the good news is it's not my eMMC...

BMS_f098_HW_BMB_Over
Service is required
PULL OVER SAFELY

BMS_f017_SW_Brick
Service is required
PULL OVER SAFELY

BMS_u018_Max_Charge
Maximum battery charge level reduced
I wound up with a new (refurb) battery. I had the service center do some other stuff while the car was there, including changing the daughtercard and LTE upgrade ($620 combined, no labor for daughtercard since the MCU was out of the car).

• Informative
Reactions: gmo43 and ohmman
Just to close the loop - I have my car back, and it's working. I lost Homelink, Driver Profiles, and some other minor things. No trouble to reprogram those.

I've been following your thread I just went through a similar experience had the daughter board replaced in my Model S at the Tucson service center it was a sub $500 repair and the car is functioning has normal ever since. I was out of warranty of course my car is a 2012 so it was out of pocket but I did get the bonus of an LTE upgrade not for free however I had to pay for it but it was nice to keep my radios because I do use AM., FM and XM radios in flyover country you can't always stream.

Reactions: ohmman
Charging at home, I'm curious.. this looks new. My first assumption is that my FUSC hasn't carried over with the certificate or something?

View attachment 584946

That's just not having done a thorough job by the Tesla techs at the service center. A lot of the information in the MCU is stored in the cloud of the mothership. after my repair the only thing that I lost was my homelink settings and my driver profiles everything else was still there.

Charging at home, I'm curious.. this looks new. My first assumption is that my FUSC hasn't carried over with the certificate or something?

View attachment 584946
Does you tesla.com account say you have it? They want payment methods from everyone, to charge idle fees, intended upgrade fees, and occasional non-refundable "butt upgrades". Before you give it to them, make sure you didn't butt-upgrade your car accidentally. ;)

There’s another thread here or reddit where some folks with free sc for life are seeing that after a firmware update. They can still charge fine. I don’t see the message on my s85D. I don’t think your message is related to the fix, unless you also got a newer Firmware, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and ohmman
***** Tesla replacement daughterboard currently does not work in 2012-2014 cars with original MCU, I dont have the exact 2014 cutoff. If you already had a replacement MCU with the revised version containing 1 plug less, then the board will work. Tesla has 2 versions of the daughterboard. The are only producing the more current one for replacement. Anyone who attempts to get this replacement will likey have lack of GPS and Sound if they are able to get the board running in the car. This will then lead to MCU replacement required. Our chip upgrade does not face this issue since we dont change board versions. ******

Also Tesla does appear to have switched to a 64 GB Micron Memory chip, we also have the same memory chip available for upgrade.

Added this important info.

***** Tesla replacement daughterboard currently does not work in 2012-2014 cars with original MCU, I dont have the exact 2014 cutoff. If you already had a replacement MCU with the revised version containing 1 plug less, then the board will work. Tesla has 2 versions of the daughterboard. The are only producing the more current one for replacement. Anyone who attempts to get this replacement will likey have lack of GPS and Sound if they are able to get the board running in the car. This will then lead to MCU replacement required. Our chip upgrade does not face this issue since we dont change board versions. ******

Also Tesla does appear to have switched to a 64 GB Micron Memory chip, we also have the same memory chip available for upgrade.

Added this important info.
I just had this replacement and my GPS is acting up. Along with the mobile application, it let's me do somethings and not others like unlock or start car. Gives an error to request service.

My car is a 09/14 built date.

Any chance you can explain more on that? Or would you say I'm one of those lucky ones that needs a new MCU?

Anyone know what Micron part number Tesla are using for the eMMC in the replacement tegra modules? Is it the same as what's in MCU2 (which is not recommended for use in new projects - near end of life) or something different? Also the part used in MCU2 is apparently not automotive rated (max temp 85C instead of 105C). Inside MCU1 it gets hot - I'd definitely want an automotive rated part.

That's just not having done a thorough job by the Tesla techs at the service center. A lot of the information in the MCU is stored in the cloud of the mothership. after my repair the only thing that I lost was my homelink settings and my driver profiles everything else was still there.

I had my MCU1 replaced today. The tech told me that their process is to attempt to back up your stored information from the old MCU first. It is sometimes successful, often not successful. If it is successful, when they initialize the replacement , it asks if there is a stored profile to replace, and it does that first. If there is not a stored profile, it creates a new one.

In my case, they couldn't retrieve any data , and I was essentially starting out as if it was straight from the factory with no settings. It asked me to name the car, etc....

In your case, it sounds like they were able to retrieve and save your data , and reload it for you. There isn't that much in the cloud.

• Informative
Reactions: DaveBC
I had my MCU1 replaced today. The tech told me that their process is to attempt to back up your stored information from the old MCU first. It is sometimes successful, often not successful. If it is successful, when they initialize the replacement , it asks if there is a stored profile to replace, and it does that first. If there is not a stored profile, it creates a new one.

In my case, they couldn't retrieve any data , and I was essentially starting out as if it was straight from the factory with no settings. It asked me to name the car, etc....

In your case, it sounds like they were able to retrieve and save your data , and reload it for you. There isn't that much in the cloud.

Well maybe that's the difference? Just guessing I didn't have a complete MCU replacement only "a / the" the daughter board, which contained a different provisioned 64 GB chip that would serve the function of the emmc that had failed. My entire MCU was not replaced

I just had this replacement and my GPS is acting up. Along with the mobile application, it let's me do somethings and not others like unlock or start car. Gives an error to request service.

My car is a 09/14 built date.

Any chance you can explain more on that? Or would you say I'm one of those lucky ones that needs a new MCU?

GPS acting up meaing it does not work at all? I would think the 2014 car uses the newer board. Not being able to unlock and lock is missing or wrong mcu_commands_key. They should be able to fix that OTA.

Got my car back after 64GB daughterboard install, part took 1 week to come in, came out to $320 (requested to skip diagnostic).

Sadly one of the problems I was having returned the next day...I opened a podcast, dragged the progress bar to skip ahead to the middle, and 30 seconds later get stuttering followed by complete MCU freeze, loss of blinker sounds and climate control, and then restart. Anyone else still having this issue? It was happening at least once per week to me, generally following the same steps.

Wondering if I need to do a complete factory reset (they were able to save and transfer all my settings).

Got my car back after 64GB daughterboard install, part took 1 week to come in, came out to $320 (requested to skip diagnostic).

Sadly one of the problems I was having returned the next day...I opened a podcast, dragged the progress bar to skip ahead to the middle, and 30 seconds later get stuttering followed by complete MCU freeze, loss of blinker sounds and climate control, and then restart. Anyone else still having this issue? It was happening at least once per week to me, generally following the same steps.

Wondering if I need to do a complete factory reset (they were able to save and transfer all my settings).

You may need to do multiple factory resets, I've updated the first post about the issue.