Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 70k mi on a 2017 S75D.

in the past year I have experienced my center screen blacked out multiple times. I’ve been able to resolve it by rebooting. The screen has 1-2s delay almost always. I cleared one of my trip meters as someone previously suggested. My drivers screen is very slow to boot when the car is sleeping.

anyways...I set up an appointment right away but was contacted today and told that unless the screen is currently black or I can give them a date and time, to the minute of when it last happened they will not look at it.

I assumed that it was the streaming music services that they would no longer cache on the eMMC, but I guess not caching the map tiles could help too.
Not caching map tiles (or other assets) will degrade user experience, especially when there is poor network connectivity or Tesla network is slow. Hopefully they balance user experience against emmc wear, and not push the slider all the way to "save emmc, save warranty money".

Last edited:
I have 70k mi on a 2017 S75D.

in the past year I have experienced my center screen blacked out multiple times. I’ve been able to resolve it by rebooting. The screen has 1-2s delay almost always. I cleared one of my trip meters as someone previously suggested. My drivers screen is very slow to boot when the car is sleeping.

anyways...I set up an appointment right away but was contacted today and told that unless the screen is currently black or I can give them a date and time, to the minute of when it last happened they will not look at it.

I just scheduled a service appointment and they ran remote diagnostics and texted me saying that they found my eMMC to be experiencing issues and will replace it under warranty. I have a 2017 MS 75 with 93k miles. My screen has blacked out quite a few times but wasn’t messed up when submitting the service appointment. Hope that helps

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
Hopefully they balance user experience against emmc wear, and not push the slider all the way to "save emmc, save warranty money".

Maybe with the with the previous log tweaking, etc, they are getting the average life expectancy over the 100k mark? Then they're off the hook.

Seems MCU1 eMMC death is more of a matter of when, not if. I think this should have been a 'recall' and not a 'warranty adjustment'.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Made an appointment yesterday to get fixed...just missed the cut off at 109K miles :-(

Mine is permanently displaying only the backup camera now and never goes to sleep. Consumes 4% battery /day
Seem like most people get 100% black screen, anyone else seen backup cam?

View attachment 607171
View attachment 607171

We have not seen this before, however this does seem like a sign of failure. This is much more rare.

• Informative
Reactions: morrisdl
Maybe with the with the previous log tweaking, etc, they are getting the average life expectancy over the 100k mark? Then they're off the hook.

Seems MCU1 eMMC death is more of a matter of when, not if. I think this should have been a 'recall' and not a 'warranty adjustment'.

The truth... they dodged a bullet by claiming a warrant adjustment. I suspect they negotiated with NHTSA on this matter.

I am waiting (patiently?) to see how they address my 3rd MCU (2nd replacement).
The last one have less than 10K miles and 14 months of use on it.
Will I get refunded the ~$2200.00 USD?
I guess I have to wait until Jan/Feb 2021.
Ideally I'd like the newest version (processor and memory) since I basically got a re-furbished item with the old technology, and it will break again.

My initial post on my experience is here:
MCU died out of warranty. Here's info on my experience

Last edited:
I am waiting (patiently?) to see how they address my 3rd MCU (2nd replacement).
The last one have less than 10K miles and 14 months of use on it.
Will I get refunded the ~$2200.00 USD?
I guess I have to wait until Jan/Feb 2021.
Ideally I'd like the newest version (processor and memory) since I basically got a re-furbished item with the old technology, and it will break again.

My initial post on my experience is here:
MCU died out of warranty. Here's info on my experience
They should refund you the money you paid Tesla to fix the MCU1, which as you say was $2,200, therefore for just $300 more you can upgrade to MCU2.

Talked to the service center and they told me I could upgrade to MCU2 for $2250 if I kept my same screen. I hadn’t heard that before but thought it was interesting.

Look up "Infotainment Upgrade" on the Tesla website and you'll see their offer, the pros & cons. Tesla is also getting ready to add a digital FM tuner if you want to pay extra for that (using the Infotainment Upgrade causes the FM radio to go away): Tesla to Debut Model S/X Radio Upgrade to Bring Back FM Radio - TeslaNorth.com

They should refund you the money you paid Tesla to fix the MCU1, which as you say was $2,200, therefore for just $300 more you can upgrade to MCU2.
Thanks!
"should" and "will" are 2 different things.

Since they have drawn this out this long already, put a lot of us through this, did not stand-up and take ownership of their poor under-engineered product...
I am not holding my breath.
Hoping for the best, but... corporate Tesla has a lot to learn.

They are doubling, tripling, quadrupling, ... sales, and are still learning how to support their product "adequately".
Has the Service Centers grown in concert with their sales?
They would not have to if their QC and QA was getting better, but we all know that it is not maturing.

Gotta get that stock price up. :)

Talked to the service center and they told me I could upgrade to MCU2 for $2250 if I kept my same screen. I hadn’t heard that before but thought it was interesting.
As "whitex" mentions, if they refund my cash out of pocket for my 3rd MCU1, I would do the same.
Is there a "standard" price for the MCU2?
I have articles stating $2500, but there always seems to be a variable pricing model out there in Tesla SC -land.

Last edited:
Thanks!
"should" and "will" are 2 different things.

Since they have drawn this out this long already, put a lot of us through this, did not stand-up and take ownership of their poor under-engineered product...
I am not holding my breath.
Hoping for the best, but... corporate Tesla has a lot to learn.

They are doubling, tripling, quadrupling, ... sales, and are still learning how to support their product "adequately".
Has the Service Centers grown in concert with their sales?
They would not have to if their QC and QA was getting better, but we all know that it is not maturing.

Gotta get that stock price up. :)
You're right, Tesla or Elon often say one thing and do another. Your case seems very straightforward though, you paid Tesla $2,200 for something which is now retroactively covered by warranty. They should be thrilled you'd be willing to take Tesla credit (to use towards MCU2) rather than asking for cash back (assuming you paid them cash, not using some referral credit).

But like you say, should and will are different things for Tesla. You might have to fight for it.

You're right, Tesla or Elon often say one thing and do another. Your case seems very straightforward though, you paid Tesla $2,200 for something which is now retroactively covered by warranty. They should be thrilled you'd be willing to take Tesla credit (to use towards MCU2) rather than asking for cash back (assuming you paid them cash, not using some referral credit).

But like you say, should and will are different things for Tesla. You might have to fight for it.

I paid a bit over 1700 for my MCU replacement back in June at 86k miles on my 2013 S85 and will certainly fight for that back if needed.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Dear all, I join the long queue of a dead main screen, with a baby expected anytime soon this is a recipe for disaster on the timing. I do have a Model 3, but the X has been the preferred family carrier.
2016 Model X, 51K miles on it.

I have a Nov 20 appointment coming up [Carlsbad, San Diego] and I tried to negotiate with Tesla Customer service to help me get this done via a mobile service option, to no avail.
Few questions, thanks in advance for your inputs.
- How long does the corrective action, eMMC/MCU replacement take (assuming parts are in stock, which I would be skeptical of)
- Anyone has recent experience of getting this done in the San Diego area? Any pointers I should be aware of?

P.S: I am still reading through this massive thread to familiarize myself, please pardon my "premature" question as I am in a bind w.r.t family situation [needing the car any moment for a hospital trip]

Hey All,
I have at 2015 S 70D and it has been great - so good that I bought the wife a 3 when it came out.
A couple years ago is when I first had the screen go wonky on me. Tesla said to double scroll reboot it. That said - it started to go gradually happen more and more often. Then a couple months ago year 4.9 (52k) it went dead. Service was great at getting working again. No charge.
It just went dead again. They want me to pay $1700 or $2500. They are saying it is not the MMC - but some other part.
wtf?
Thoughts?