Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Response from my SA:
“If you previously paid for a repair for the specific part and condition covered by the program and the paid repair was within the Warranty Adjustment Program period, you may be eligible for a refund subject to certain terms and conditions.”

We will contact owners of affected vehicles with more information on reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursements by or before February 2021.

Response from my SA:
“If you previously paid for a repair for the specific part and condition covered by the program and the paid repair was within the Warranty Adjustment Program period, you may be eligible for a refund subject to certain terms and conditions.”

We will contact owners of affected vehicles with more information on reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursements by or before February 2021.
Did the SA mention where to lookup the "specific part and condition", "Warranty Adjustment Program period", and "certain terms and conditions"?

What vehicles are covered under this Warranty Adjustment Program?
This Warranty Adjustment Program covers vehicles equipped with the 8GB eMMC for 8 years from the date of delivery to its original owner or 100,000 total odometer miles, whichever comes first (the “Warranty Adjustment Program period”), subject to the terms of the original Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. To be eligible for the Warranty Adjustment Program, your vehicle’s 8GB eMMC must be experiencing a malfunction due to accumulated wear during the Warranty Adjustment Program period. A vehicle inspection and diagnosis by Tesla Service, upon experiencing the symptoms outlined above, can confirm your vehicle’s eligibility.

Also looks like a limited warranty and not all failed chips will qualify.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
What vehicles are covered under this Warranty Adjustment Program?
This Warranty Adjustment Program covers vehicles equipped with the 8GB eMMC for 8 years from the date of delivery to its original owner or 100,000 total odometer miles, whichever comes first (the “Warranty Adjustment Program period”), subject to the terms of the original Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. To be eligible for the Warranty Adjustment Program, your vehicle’s 8GB eMMC must be experiencing a malfunction due to accumulated wear during the Warranty Adjustment Program period. A vehicle inspection and diagnosis by Tesla Service, upon experiencing the symptoms outlined above, can confirm your vehicle’s eligibility.

Also looks like a limited warranty and not all failed chips will qualify.

They sent me the email even though they KNOW I already have more than 100K miles otherwise I would have thought it was a trick to get me to upgrade my v8.1 to v10 :D

Got the same mail, I wonder whether they'll reimburse DYI fix

I guess we have the first part pf the answer:

Please be aware that any repair conducted for the part and condition described above at a non-Tesla service provider more than 10 calendar days after the date of this notice is not eligible for reimbursement.

It will be interesting to see the conditions on the reimbursement. It might include something like the third-party has to provide warranty for their repair to the 8-year/100k mileage point. (Tesla isn't likely to warranty a third-party repair.)

Last edited:
I emailed my SA to see if an MCU repair I paid out of pocket for in my prior 2013 S would qualify for reimbursement. And now we wait...

Probably will not know yet - From the email -

If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

I found this list of firmware changes that are designed to improve eMMC life:

MCU1 eMMC fw changes.png

Got the same email just now. Already paid Tony for a 3rd party repair, which looks like is non-reimbursable.

It looks to me like they are going to cover third-party repairs. But details are yet to come. I suspect one of the details is that the third-party has to warranty the repair to the 8 year/100k mile point. (Tesla isn't going to warranty third-party repairs.)

It looks to me like they are going to cover third-party repairs. But details are yet to come. I suspect one of the details is that the third-party has to warranty the repair to the 8 year/100k mile point. (Tesla isn't going to warranty third-party repairs.)
I am pretty sure Tesla will find a way to wiggle away from 3rd party warrant repair issues. Same reason you cannot go to them for slow boots etc.. did I mention that it does not cover diagnostic fees?

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hi. I’m fairly new to this specific thread but did get the email. I currently have a 2013 MS P85. At one point my MCU was replaced due to air bubbles but I’m not sure what version they changed me to. At that time Tesla also upgraded me for free to 4G. My center screen is working but I have noticed the following...

car is much slower to turn on. The binnicle display above the steering wheel stays dark for a while before finally powering on

my nav doesn’t have route lines in the map. If I reset the center display they will reappear but then after a few drives they disappear again

My phone contacts are not loading on the car from my iPhone

the usb drive with my music occassionally has to reload and takes a long time to register.

has anyone experienced these and are these signs of an upcoming failure. I checked the list of possible warning signs on the lead in for this thread and these do not seem to be on the list.
Thanks in advance.

Tesla doesn't warranty the MCU till 8 years of 100k mile either (2 year, 25K miles warranty only IIRC), so why would they expect the 3rd party to cover it? Or have they retroactively extend all MCU warranties to 8 year/100k now?

Tesla doesn't warranty the MCU till 8 years of 100k mile either (2 year, 25K miles warranty only IIRC), so why would they expect the 3rd party to cover it? Or have they retroactively extend all MCU warranties to 8 year/100k now?

They have retro-actively extended the warranty on the MCU1 eMMC to 8-years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. So I can't see them paying ~$600-700 for a third party repair, and then being on the hook to re-repair it if the third-party used a part that fails during the extended warranty period.

They have retro-actively extended the warranty on the MCU1 eMMC to 8-years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. So I can't see them paying ~$600-700 for a third party repair, and then being on the hook to re-repair it if the third-party used a part that fails during the extended warranty period.

that’s still cheaper than refunding the MCU1 replacements that they made people pay for before the daughter card was available.

I can see them refunding the 3rd party one time cost, but not taking over warranty.