Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Construction zone autopilot.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barklikeadog

Jul 13, 2016
PA
Anytime I see a Tesla on the highway, I always try to figure out if they are using autopilot or not...
Was on 76 heading west yesterday, behind a red model 3.
Obviously a construction zone with limited faded markings, no shoulder.

The 3 slowly drifted left until it was within a foot of the barriers, then a quick flash of the tail lights and correction to the center of the lane.
Then again... slow drift towards the barriers, quick flash brakes, center of lane.
After the 3rd drift left, he changed into the right lane.

Does your autopilot act up in areas like this? Or do you turn it off in construction zones?
red 3.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I was driving in a construction zone last week I was suprised how well autopilot drove next to a barrier, impressed enough to snap this photo. Autopilot drove about as close to a barrier as I do, basically keeping me centered in the lane.

57921915320__109BF75A-3DD5-44D5-AB6D-C62E291CCA9F.jpeg

I've been extremely impressed with how autopilot handles barriers and construction zones, but it gets very confused with lane markers and seems to ignore orange barrels and cones. I still use in construction zones, but with extreme caution.

On a side note, the latest revision to 2019.16.1 seems to made a noticeable improvement in autopilot behavior. Both in NOA and regular AP the car is much more assertive and seems to be a bit less prone to getting confused.

While I've not been through construction with those types of barriers, they are doing a lot of road work on the 99 here in central CA and yeah the car has issues when there's no markings and drifts, if there are cars next to me it helps AP stay where it needs to be. However, no cars around and the car will actually drift all the way to another lane then beep at me like I did something wrong (I only let it do it once because I was curious and there were no other cars around).

On Tuesday I was coming up to a construction zone with the orange cones merging two lanes into one. I am 99% for sure that AP going to go straight so I took over at the last second. I did a Bug Report in hopes that they would look at the footage. Not sure if it helps to do a Bug but I figured it would not hurt.

That big black mark on the barrier was the last guy who tried Autopilot through there. I think using AP where there are irregular lane markings and unpredictable lane changes -- the definition of a construction zone -- is asking for trouble.
I was testing to see how well autopilot would work and was pleasantly impressed but I am not that trusting of the technology. I disengaged right after taking the photo.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Mine comes up with a “construction detected - autopilot limited” or similar on the screen then the car tracks cones as lane lines.

I generally just take over in construction zones though; too many variables and people wandering around on the freeway to take any chances. That said I’ve been impressed at how the car handles this.

For context, I just did 1100 miles in two days. 50% on AP, and add another 25% on NOA(?), rest on manual or local drives.

Count me in the minority (per this thread's sentiment so far anyway), I do NOT like AP in the construction zone or in general, in terms of how tightly it hugs the left lane marker. I've had multiple instances of the car getting too close (for my comfort anyway) to either the concrete barrier or orange cones sitting right on top of the lane lines. I've also had many instances of semis and their trailers hugging their right lane marker while AP/NOA hugging my left lane marker and it got so close that I had to take over. All it would take is a slight fishtail movement on their trailers, I'd be swiped.

I'm on 2019.12.1.2

That big black mark on the barrier was the last guy who tried Autopilot through there. I think using AP where there are irregular lane markings and unpredictable lane changes -- the definition of a construction zone -- is asking for trouble.
ha ha.... Amen on that. There is simply no way I am going to take even the slightest risk of using AP in any kind of construction zone. However, there sure are enough people out there that like to "experiment" to see what happens. The hospital is full of them :D That's just not me.

Reactions: Stanwood Steve
My car moves over properly when well placed cones close a lane. If there are lot's of other distractions such as a poor road surface etc. it has problems. The EAP identifies a "driving surface" separately from identifying "lanes". It will usually continue to drive properly on an unmarked road after the lane lines cease. It seems to have the most problems with complicated highly contrasting or reflecting lane markers such as bike lines between car lanes at curving intersections. It does better there when there are poorer markings. You currently need at least one lane marking to engage EAP but after it disappears the car will drive down the proper side of a street. It will avoid significant objects and pedestrians.

Warning, your robotaxi may not return home in the same condition. Do you accept full responsibility? [Y] or [N]

AP/AS also struggles a bit on bridges and tunnels - This morning AS almost directed me into the curb of the tunnel entrance on the way out of Manhattan. It is a little tricky there as the wall is set back further, and because the curb is designed to allow water runoff underneath, it is not flush with the ground and doesn't seem to be appropriately registered by the sensors. Getting too close to the tunnel's edge was one of the first things I reported to Tesla - this has gotten better, but is still a WIP. I'm also still dealing with a complete AP/AS failure (suddenly disabled, red hands warning message) while returning through the Holland Tunnel to NY but Tesla has promised a fix in a future release for that.

Further on my drive, in NJ there are mobile concrete barriers which get moved (sometimes daily), and I could feel the car pulling into one before I jerked it away - this I experienced on several occasions and I stopped enabling autosteering on that segment.