Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports withdraws recommendation for Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the vast majority of people with the car bought them outright, instead of leasing. I've usually leased my vehicles, when the terms are agreeable. The biggest factors to lease for me is the warranty, and I can get into a new car in 2-3 years. Lease terms for the Model S are far from good, and with the reliability issues I'm not sure I'd want to buy the car. Once the warranty runs out is when the sh*t hits the fan so to speak. I understand that service is excellent, at this time. Once the X, and 3, not to mention more S are produced, the level of service is sure to come down. Without the warranty, repair to these cars can be expensive from what I've read. IMO, Tesla is still in the honeymoon phase, with the factory warranty still in effect.

So far in my first 4 months of ownership I'd say software issues have been the predominant problem.

Sure there was initial squeaks, and rattles. There was a problematic ultrasonic sensor. All of those things were fixed promptly on an appointment a couple weeks after picking up the car.

There are still a few squeaks and rattles but I've never owned a car without some.

So what has been a routine problem? The damn software

3G not reconnecting requiring a center console reboot
The touchscreen not responding and requiring a center console reboot
Weird issues with the Trip planner (still in beta at V7.0)

Lots of things I find annoying, but will cause havoc for those less tech savvy. But, there is technically nothing wrong with the car. Technically the only issue I know off the top of my head is the center console no longer charges my iphone (the center console is horribly designed).

- - - Updated - - -

I know the vast majority of people with the car bought them outright, instead of leasing. I've usually leased my vehicles, when the terms are agreeable. The biggest factors to lease for me is the warranty, and I can get into a new car in 2-3 years. Lease terms for the Model S are far from good, and with the reliability issues I'm not sure I'd want to buy the car. Once the warranty runs out is when the sh*t hits the fan so to speak. I understand that service is excellent, at this time. Once the X, and 3, not to mention more S are produced, the level of service is sure to come down. Without the warranty, repair to these cars can be expensive from what I've read. IMO, Tesla is still in the honeymoon phase, with the factory warranty still in effect.

In a lot of cases the incentives in certain states make leasing way less attractive. It certainly did where I live because there was no sales tax if purchased before July 2015.

The car does have a resale guarantee so I can make believe it's a lease.

This doesn't surprise me. The earlier models are plagued with problems, and they vary from cosmetic issues to quality control issues on the line to problems integrating new technology. I don't think that translates to what the more mature company is doing today. I've been only 15,000 miles, and I've gone through 3 12V batteries, had door handles replaced 6 times, had both mirrors replaced, have rattling all along the passenger side and lift gate as well as have a new clicking sound when I accelerate. It's annoying and in 5 years of owning a Honda Accord, other than oil changes and tire rotations, I had my e-brake handle replaced under warranty -- that's it. But, Tesla is growing. There's not much I can do about my car, but I'm betting on the future as well. This is why I bought the extended service and will buy the warranty.

It was just a matter of time. All the first adopters loved the brand, the car and all cars where new. As years go buy, the first enthusiasm goes away and the cars age. People are starting to look at their cars just as they look at every other car.

At 28 months of ownership and over 54k miles, it's still more awesome than any other car I would every own (unless another Tesla). I've had the door handle issues, and TPMS sensors replaced, but I'm still thrilled with the car.

It should be expected the earlier production cars will have a few more problems - and that Tesla has since made design and manufacturing improvements that should reduce the problems in later cars. And because of the lower complexity of the Model S (fewer moving parts) and the modular design (even the major components, the battery pack and motor) can be easily replaced - swapping out components could make it appear the problems are more serious than they really are.

The important number in their review is the % of owners willing to buy another car from Tesla - which continues to remain extremely high. Admittedly, many of the early owners are strong supporters of Tesla, and have been more willing to tolerate working with new technology that may have more problems early on - or in dealing with the frustrations with Tesla's pace and quality of promised software updates.

How do the OTA updates affect resale value? I would most certainly say that it would help tremendously. The idea of getting a UI update 2+ years after you own a car is absolutely in the face of the typical car manufacturer's mantra, "You want that new option, you upgrade to the new model year".

Seems to me Teslas are going to hold their value much better simply because of the OTA updates.

What Consumer Reports have missed is that Tesla offers 8 years, unlimited miles warranty and resale-value guarantee. Just as their performance scoring is inadequately weighted, their reliability scoring is bad as well.

I just bought more TSLA stock. Excellent buying opportunity!
I expect that this news from CR will cause Elon and Tesla to focus even more on the quality issues and solve them. I think a year from now the CR reliability rating for the S will improve because it will not be effects as much by the earliest cars.
The S remains the highest rated car CR has ever tested and has a 97% owner satisfaction score. That is amazing. TSLA now has to improve reliability in a few areas I am confident Tesla can do that. So I bought more stock.

Last edited:
I expect that this news from CR will cause Elon and Tesla to focus even more on the quality issues and solve them. I think a year from now the CR reliability rating for the S will improve because it will not be effects as much by the earliest cars.
The S remains the highest rated car CR has ever tested and has a 97% owner satisfaction score. That is amazing. TSLA now has to improve reliability in a coup,e of Sara's. I. Confident Tesla can do that. So I bought more stock!

Lol, me too, excellent buy opportunity. Thanks CR!

So far I have purchased two Model S cars, one 2013 and one 2015. The major problem in both of them are the squeaks and rattles. It is a terrible thing to listen to squeaks and rattles in a car that costs over 100 thousand euros. They did try to fix them several times, but without success. I have my doubts this problem will be ever fixed. That is because the way the interior parts are fitted together it is not done properly in the first place. They use completely different technique than is used in Europe.

The other frustrating problem is with the wipers. And the windshield washer fluid is not dispersing evenly. You will not find this problem in a rain but in a dirty, wet snow, yes. This is how your window will look during snow conditions (it is after fixing it in the service center):
IMG_20150215_113644.jpg

So far I have purchased two Model S cars, one 2013 and one 2015. The major problem in both of them are the squeaks and rattles. It is a terrible thing to listen to squeaks and rattles in a car that costs over 100 thousand euros. They did try to fix them several times, but without success. I have my doubts this problem will be ever fixed. That is because the way the interior parts are fitted together it is not done properly in the first place. They use completely different technique than is used in Europe.

The other frustrating problem is with the wipers. And the windshield washer fluid is not dispersing evenly. You will not find this problem in a rain but in a dirty, wet snow, yes. This is how your window will look during snow conditions (it is after fixing it in the service center):
View attachment 98678

Sorry mine doesn't look like that in snow. Get new wiper blades and adjust the direction of the spray nozzles with a pin. Fixable issue. Service was great at fixing my squeaks and rattles.

Duckjybe, good for you. The image shows how the window looked right after the wiper blades were replaced and the direction of the spray nozzles was adjusted in Tesla service center, Vienna. And the squeaks and rattles they were not able to repair even after several attempts in Vienna service center. They did try very hard.

I agree with you regarding the rattles. Poor quality to begin with. However, the streaks on your window are multifactorial. Get better blades. Put a coating on your window. Use better wiper solution with an additive. I live in Chicago and the winter time is a mess, but my windows rarely if ever look like that.

If you use Tesla financing for purchases they will buy your car around the 3 year mark. The agreement guarantees the value, sets mileage limits and penalty per mile if you're over. Not sure how this works with leasing but for leasing you're returning the car so this type of agreement is unnecessary.

I believe that is only in leased cars for 3 years.

The S remains the highest rated car CR has ever tested and has a 97% owner satisfaction score. That is amazing. TSLA now has to improve reliability in a few areas I am confident Tesla can do that. So I bought more stock.

I agree.

But right now, the optics on the highest-rated -- but not recommended -- car is odd, to say the least.

It suggests that this is a rich person's toy, and not a car for the masses. And that runs counter to Tesla's mission, which was my original point.

If you use Tesla financing for purchases they will buy your car around the 3 year mark. The agreement guarantees the value, sets mileage limits and penalty per mile if you're over. Not sure how this works with leasing but for leasing you're returning the car so this type of agreement is unnecessary.

Thanks. Misunderstood how it worked. Wasn't there something about a happiness guarantee that you could return the car within 3 months if leased without any issue?