Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports withdraws recommendation for Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Misunderstood how it worked. Wasn't there something about a happiness guarantee that you could return the car within 3 months if leased without any issue?

Yes, for a lease, but since taxes are not included in the lease package (at least not in TX), you're out all of that $$$ -- they just absolve you of future obligations, so it's not that compelling an offer (at least in TX, where leasing in general is not that compelling).

As usual, CR doesn't know what it is talking about. Yeah, a survey would indicate that my Model S is in the shop more often that a Mercedes. But I actually see that as a good thing. They always give me a new, up to date, Model S loaner. So I got to try Insane launches last year, and today, I got to try Auto Steer (my Model S is a pre autopilot car). Do you know how cool it is to be able to drive Auto Steer for a day? I'm thrilled. Meanwhile, my Model S is getting routine things done (like wheel rotation) that I would have had to get done somewhere anyways.

As usual, CR doesn't know what it is talking about. Yeah, a survey would indicate that my Model S is in the shop more often that a Mercedes. But I actually see that as a good thing. They always give me a new, up to date, Model S loaner. So I got to try Insane launches last year, and today, I got to try Auto Steer (my Model S is a pre autopilot car). Do you know how cool it is to be able to drive Auto Steer for a day? I'm thrilled. Meanwhile, my Model S is getting routine things done (like wheel rotation) that I would have had to get done somewhere anyways.

So it's cool that the car needs service because service is fun? Doesn't seem logical for most people... Especially those that are far from a SC.

So it's cool that the car needs service because service is fun? Doesn't seem logical for most people... Especially those that are far from a SC.

Well, I'm having a really fun day today playing around with Auto Pilot, so, I guess, yeah? As they say, to each their own. It does help that non-essential things are also being done to the car (tire rotation, car wash).

It is when service is so backed up they often can't schedule for minor to moderate issues for over a month. Plus, as good as Tesla is about making it painless, it's still a pretty big inconvenience, especially if you aren't right near a service center.
That is my biggest concern. With the upcoming X and 3 in the near future. The SC will be overloaded, if Tesla is slow to expand the SC.

It is when service is so backed up they often can't schedule for minor to moderate issues for over a month. Plus, as good as Tesla is about making it painless, it's still a pretty big inconvenience, especially if you aren't right near a service center.

I am right next to the service center. It's less than a mile away from my job. And it's still a PITA to have to drop off the car (even though I'm being given a loaner), means I arrive at work a little later, have to leave a little earlier, etc. I have a flexible schedule, but it's still an inconvenience nonetheless.

Funny,

I thought that I was buying a car that was a brand new concept, so advanced that they could only be produced by a brand new company that was at the leading edge of tech. This car was so universally advanced in concept and performance and technology, that I could only have it if I was willing to pay extra for it and realize that, as a new car company, there would be reliability issues.

Wait . . . I did that thing. And I am happy.

Only one service appointment in 9 months: to replace a front motor assembly that disconnected itself (I guess as a safety feature) - something that would be considered a major part failure by CR. And it happened to me on the first day I owned the car. I was without it for four days (they picked up and delivered the car at my work while I had a loaner P85D). I have had no problems since. It was a PITA, and I was upset at the time. Since then, no problems at all.

I kind of think of this car like the coolest piece of tech imaginable: it is so profoundly awesome that I don't care about its faults (to a point). If someone needs a CR dead-reliable car, the Tesla Model S from 2012-2015 is not it.

There is also nothing else even remotely like it, so I don't care.

My S60 is 17 months old with 24K miles. The only issue I had was the passenger door handle wouldn't open the door without giggling it. Tesla replaced the handle and it my works again. Otherwise, it has been quite reliable.

My first Tesla was a 60, not one issue. It's was only when I upgraded to the P85 did I have minor issues (sunroof, loud tires etc...)

the 60's are great cars.

I've had my Model S for more than two years and I've never had to hang out at a service center. Either I've dropped it off and driven away in a loaner or more recently they've come to me with the loaner. Honestly I don't see why reliability is such a big issue when it's so painless to get a problem fixed if one occurs. It's far more important that I'm driving an EV not an ICE.

There's some merit to the reliability thing but probably not a lot. Anyhow, the last time CR was a worthy magazine was in the mid-1970s --- and even now few recognize the structural problems in the way it reports frequency of repair and the like. Unfortunately, if CR has a worthy equivalent (online?), many people may not know it.

Well, I'm having a really fun day today playing around with Auto Pilot, so, I guess, yeah? As they say, to each their own. It does help that non-essential things are also being done to the car (tire rotation, car wash).
Of course it's fun!

But my experience has been that my MS is not as advertised. Tesla claims the MS needs less maintenance than an ICE.

I don't see that being the case. Far from it in my situation.

Lots of people saying that their MSes have no issues; lots of people saying they have issues. That's basically saying the MS has unpredictable reliability off the line.

My friend ordered a brand new 1978 Cadillac Diesel. Top of the line. He actually passed the transport truck as it was headed into the dealer. He turned around and was standing their watching the truck driver prepare to unload it. The starter whirred. POW. The damn engine blew up right on the transporter! Now THATS unreliable! :wink:

What Consumer Reports have missed is that Tesla offers 8 years, unlimited miles warranty
No they don't. They offer an 8 year, infinite mile warranty warranty on the drive unit and battery pack on the 85 kWh Model S and the currently sold a new ones (e.g. 70D, 85D, P85D, 70 and 85 RWD).

On the 60 kWh it was 8 years/125K on the battery and DU.

The REST of the car is under a 4 year/50K mile warranty, as listed at Model S Specifications | Tesla Motors.

My friend ordered a brand new 1978 Cadillac Diesel. Top of the line. He actually passed the transport truck as it was headed into the dealer. He turned around and was standing their watching the truck driver prepare to unload it. The starter whirred. POW. The damn engine blew up right on the transporter! Now THATS unreliable! :wink:
those GM diesels were probably the worst built engines ever devised and built, it absolutely killed any widespread adoption of diesels in the US.

All cars have issues, though. Go read through the Mercedes, Audi, or BMW forums about their issues. Certainly not trouble free, and arguably worse than Tesla. A friend had a Mercedes SL that was so bad Mercedes had to buy it back!

I subscribed to CR so that I could look at the details on this... yes, Tesla does have a reliability rating 43% below industry average (based on CR survey of about 1400 owners); but this is still better than a lot of other high end vehicles, including the Corvette, the Escalade, Chevy & GMC pickups, the Mercedes S-Class, GL-Class and C-Class, and a host of others. Bear in mind that the "industry average" sets a very high bar, which increases every year, due to good competition.

If you want ultra-reliability, you want a Lexus; but many people have other priorities & preferences.